Most natural sounding headphones
Apr 3, 2011 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

krtzer

Head-Fier
Guys, I want to know the most natural sounding pair of headphones you've heard. It kind of means, the most accurate reproduction but not exactly. I mean when the drummer hits the snare and you hear it and it fades out in the right amount of time and you think to yourself "man that's what a snare exactly sounds like" or "that's exactly what a guitar sounds like." Also it does not mean the most detailed, because sometimes sounds are lost in life, that's just the way it goes. I also realize that this is not based strictly on based on headphones but on entire setups. You can include them if you want, since the whole system should be considered, but this is the headphone forum, so I'm trying to focus on the phones themselves. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 37
JH-13
Joe Grado HP-1000
Sony R-10
FA-003
FA-002W
UE-10
DBA-02 (with proper fit)
Senn HD-600

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 37
Interested in this question as well. What's your budget? I haven't heard anything costing over $300 or so, but of those I've heard, probably the dt48 and the k240DF sound closest to 'reality'.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 37
The headphones I've found to sound mostly natural:

Sennheiser HD-800, HD-600
Beyerdynamic DT48
AKG K-1000, K-501, K-340, K-240DF
Stax Omega 2 Mk. 1
Grado HP-1000

I've owned all of these. While I've only had brief listens, I might put the Audez'e LCD2 and Sony MDR R10 on that list, too.

Though you didn't ask about speakers, the Quad ESL-63 is about the best thing I've ever heard. Its price is in the range of some of these headphones. If you might consider speakers, the ESL-63 could make you very happy.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 37

Quote:
Guys, I want to know the most natural sounding pair of headphones you've heard. It kind of means, the most accurate reproduction but not exactly. I mean when the drummer hits the snare and you hear it and it fades out in the right amount of time and you think to yourself "man that's what a snare exactly sounds like" or "that's exactly what a guitar sounds like." Also it does not mean the most detailed, because sometimes sounds are lost in life, that's just the way it goes. I also realize that this is not based strictly on based on headphones but on entire setups. You can include them if you want, since the whole system should be considered, but this is the headphone forum, so I'm trying to focus on the phones themselves. 

This is a far too subjective question to answer definitively, but my vote goes to the LCD2. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 37
My HD650.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 37

Quote:
This is a far too subjective question to answer definitively, but my vote goes to the LCD2. 

Oh come one Mochan, you know most of what we do here is entirely subjective :wink:. I really just want to know what headphones people think are the most natura sounding. As for budget, I don't have one. I'm trying to build a list because I am towards the end of my semester in Singapore, where there is a Jaben store, and they let you try out everything. Also at the end of the semester I'm going to Beijing, where there is another Jaben store, so I'll probably get some listening done there as well. 

@ Uncle erik, I would be interested in speakers as well, it's just that as of right now I have this little somewhat irrational fear about electrostatics and their high voltages. It's something I have to look into my and actually listen to though. Hopefully I will be going to Thailand as well, where I saw an authorized STAX dealer and maybe I'll be able to listen to a pair.

As for me, I really liked what I heard from the T1s when I listened to them but it wasn't nearly long enough because I was trying to go through all the major headphones that day and I had to get to class by the end by the time I got to the T1s. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 37
:D

Just remember not to touch both stators at the same time. High voltage is manageable; it can't be any worse than the motorcycle.

But you can get much of the pleasure from planars. Magnepans won't fry you. Though they may fry your amp. :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 37
I totally agree about HD650 and had a short listen of HD800 and while they sound very natural but they cost several times more and only you can decide after you hear them both if the difference in price is right

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 37
Agree with UE on the AKG K-1000.  Although, my listening experience with them was short (an hour), their design and engineering mimics small speakers with their tunable sweet spot for speaker like sound and imaging. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back