Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #6,901 of 12,007
I've had the Blessing 2 Dusk for more than a week now. Here are my summarised impressions. Detailed review will be up shortly
  • The shell is slightly on the larger side, but should fit most ears. Thick 6mm Nozzle on the other hand could be a deal-breaker for many folks. (Pictured here with the much larger shelled Thieaudio Clairvoyance) IMG20201228215811.jpg
  • The included eartips offer poor seal. Spinfit CP155 tips are recommended. (Pictured here with CP155 size M)IMG20201228215733.jpg
  • Stock cable gets the job done but it's pretty flimsy and looks industrial. Cable upgrade might help with the looks, if not with the sound.
  • Tonality is spot on - Most natural sounding vocals. I would have loved a little more boost between 150 and 200 Hz.
  • Bass is focused in the sub areas and sounds clean but texture is average.
  • Excellent separation of frequencies most genres. Staging is average with 'just ok' and decent depth (I don't know about height as they are not Dolby Atmos equipped :stuck_out_tongue:)
  • Pleasant treble that pulls in different details and can help avoid hearing damage over longer sessions, but the lack of ultra high frequency driver shows as lack of sparkle/airiness in treble.
I wouldn't be surprised us there is a Blessing 3, with the same tonality as Dusk sound an ultra high frequency driver, for a sub $500 price, making it the go-to Mid-fi IEM.

Blessing 2 Dusk
Tonality - 9/10 (B- 8/10; M - 10/10; T - 7.5/10)
Staging - 6.5/10
Overall rating - 7.5/10

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #6,902 of 12,007
Dec 31, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #6,903 of 12,007
I've had the Blessing 2 Dusk for more than a week now. Here are my summarised impressions. Detailed review will be up shortly
  • The shell is slightly on the larger side, but should fit most ears. Thick 6mm Nozzle on the other hand could be a deal-breaker for many folks. (Pictured here with the much larger shelled Thieaudio Clairvoyance)IMG20201228215811.jpg
  • The included eartips offer poor seal. Spinfit CP155 tips are recommended. (Pictured here with CP155 size M)IMG20201228215733.jpg
  • Stock cable gets the job done but it's pretty flimsy and looks industrial. Cable upgrade might help with the looks, if not with the sound.
  • Tonality is spot on - Most natural sounding vocals. I would have loved a little more boost between 150 and 200 Hz.
  • Excellent separation of frequencies most genres. Staging is average with 'just ok' and decent depth (I don't know about height as they are not Dolby Atmos equipped :stuck_out_tongue:)
  • Pleasant treble that pulls in different details and can help avoid hearing damage over longer sessions, but the lack of ultra high frequency driver shows as lack of sparkle/airiness in treble.
I wouldn't be surprised us there is a Blessing 3, with the same tonality as Dusk sound an ultra high frequency driver, for a sub $500 price, making it the go-to Mid-fi IEM.

Blessing 2 Dusk
Staging - 6.5/10
Overall rating - 7.5/10
Thank you for the impressions. How do you find the vocals on Clairvoyance? To me they sound shouty, and I have the Dusk on the way hoping that the vocals are not like the Clairs.

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #6,904 of 12,007
Thank you for the impressions. How do you find the vocals on Clairvoyance? To me they sound shouty, and I have the Dusk on the way hoping that the vocals are not like the Clairs.
The vocals on Clairvoyance are more forward than on the Dusk especially the 2k to 3k region while the rest of the vocal presence region between 3k to 5k is quite similar.
To me the Clairvoyance doesn't sound shout but yes they are on the borderline between forward and shouty.
One reason you may find them shouty could be lack of proper seal with eartips. I do recommend Sony Hybrid tips EP-EX11 for the Clairvoyance (I use Size M).

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #6,905 of 12,007
The vocals on Clairvoyance are more forward than on the Dusk especially the 2k to 3k region while the rest of the vocal presence region between 3k to 5k is quite similar.
To me the Clairvoyance doesn't sound shout but yes they are on the borderline between forward and shouty.
One reason you may find them shouty could be lack of proper seal with eartips. I do recommend Sony Hybrid tips EP-EX11 for the Clairvoyance (I use Size M).
No, I get a pretty good seal and I have tried a lot of tips ,I get the best result with azlasedna tips but still they sound shouty. Thanks again , I am looking forward to hearing the Dusk myself. Maybe that slight difference in FR would do it for me.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #6,906 of 12,007
Hello Head-Fi, Here are my impressions of the Blessing 2 Dusk and comparison to my other pair of IEMs, the FDX1 with my preferred green filter.

General Points:
  1. Tonality is generally good. Instrument timbres all mostly sound right (except for electric guitar and the middle register of the piano but I’ll get to that later). More natural than the FXD1, none of the 4k scratchy peak that the FDX1 has.
  2. Sub bass has great impact (more than FDX1). More rumble than FDX1 in the sub bass.
  3. Low notes of piano/bass have good weight to them (slightly better/more than FDX1).
  4. Upper bass/Lower mids a little cleaner/less growly than FDX1, relatively minor but it is definitely there.
  5. Guitars/Middle register of the piano a little too lean, missing a bit of the lower crunch on electric guitars, not as forward as I would like (this is more of a matter of preference though, I can see why some people might prefer this slightly less forward sound), needs a tiny bit more between like 1.5 and 2k.
  6. Tiny bit of a hump around 3k (in relation to the rest of the signature). Very minor but still slightly audible. Doesn’t affect anything major though.
  7. Has a peak somewhere around 8.5 to 10k (more emphasised than FDX1).
  8. Missing some upper treble extension from about 14/15k and above (definitely less than FDX1)
Now for some more subjective value judgements: Violins sound really good on the dusk, I can see them being good for classical listening. Similarly from my few listens to electronic music their signature lends itself to it.

Songs used:
Renaissance: A trip to the fair, Scheherazade (listening for piano/bass/acoustic guitar/some of the orchestra)
Disillusion: A Day by the Lake (acoustic guitar/electric guitar/bass/somewhat vocals too)
Hiromi Uehara: Time Control, or controlled by time (piano/bass/drums)
Wicked cast recording: No one mourns the wicked (orchestra/vocals/percussion)
Hilary Hahn’s recording of the 3rd movement of Barber string concerto (presto in moto) (orchestra (violins and brass)/solo violin)
King Crimson: Moonchild, I talk to the wind (drums (cymbals)/flute and vocals/bass somewhat)
Katatonia: Dispossession (listening for guitar/bass/vocals)
Various Todd Edwards (w/ both male and female vocals) and Discovery era Daft Punk Tracks.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #6,907 of 12,007
I was doing some cable rolling with my Starfields. I am now confused over which earpiece is left and which earpiece is right. Which is which? TIA!

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #6,910 of 12,007
You can do that with either configuration of left/right.
If the tips are facing each other and touching with the pin holes above and tips below. The face plates pointing away from each. Right and left should be obvious

and in case you are talking about the cable. With the logo facing away. The right and left are on the proper side

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #6,911 of 12,007
I was doing some cable rolling with my Starfields. I am now confused over which earpiece is left and which earpiece is right. Which is which? TIA!
The starburst logo is the Left one!

BTW, I really love the Starfields. They are some of the most coherent headphones I have ever heard. each attack/decay of every instrument is duly noted even in very busy tracks. Its more precise in attack/decay than the KBEAR Believe. The bass curve is literally perfect imo, mids are just a hair towards warm of neutral which I find quite good, though I think it could go a bit warmer.

The only achilles heel to this headphone is that the upper-mid to treble curve starts correctly, peaking at 2K, but then it plateaus to around 4K. It really should dip at 4K because it creates this faint haze and slightly fatiguing feeling. On my LG G7, I just EQ it down 2dB and its perfect.

Here's hoping the next Starfield iteration tames that 4K, and maybe tries to go just a hair more sparkly. Honestly, if they just tamed the 4K these would be an absolutely stellar set. As they are now, they are still fantastic.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #6,912 of 12,007
The starburst logo is the Left one!

BTW, I really love the Starfields. They are some of the most coherent headphones I have ever heard. each attack/decay of every instrument is duly noted even in very busy tracks. Its more precise in attack/decay than the KBEAR Believe. The bass curve is literally perfect imo, mids are just a hair towards warm of neutral which I find quite good, though I think it could go a bit warmer.

The only achilles heel to this headphone is that the upper-mid to treble curve starts correctly, peaking at 2K, but then it plateaus to around 4K. It really should dip at 4K because it creates this faint haze and slightly fatiguing feeling. On my LG G7, I just EQ it down 2dB and its perfect.

Here's hoping the next Starfield iteration tames that 4K, and maybe tries to go just a hair more sparkly. Honestly, if they just tamed the 4K these would be an absolutely stellar set. As they are now, they are still fantastic.

Many thanks!

I agree that the Starfield is all that and a bag of chips. For me, using the stock cable, the 4K doesn’t bother me. I would like a little more treble extension and a bit more bass definition from the Starfield. When I use my DUNU SA3 cable with the Starfield I get both my desires but that upper-mid peak that you mention increases and becomes too hot for me. I am using my iPhone X and the FiiO Q1 mk II in high gain mode to power the Starfield.

If you are looking for a bit more mid warmth, the FD1 might be something to investigate. I find it is a great complementary pair to the Starfield. The FD1 just needs a bit more instrument separation and layering...

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #6,913 of 12,007
If the tips are facing each other and touching with the pin holes above and tips below. The face plates pointing away from each. Right and left should be obvious

and in case you are talking about the cable. With the logo facing away. The right and left are on the proper side

Thanks but you literally can do it either way. Thanks for your replies to my request.

@bhima answered me in a way I cannot mess up. :wink:

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #6,914 of 12,007
Many thanks!

I agree that the Starfield is all that and a bag of chips. For me, using the stock cable, the 4K doesn’t bother me. I would like a little more treble extension and a bit more bass definition from the Starfield. When I use my DUNU SA3 cable with the Starfield I get both my desires but that upper-mid peak that you mention increases and becomes too hot for me. I am using my iPhone X and the FiiO Q1 mk II in high gain mode to power the Starfield.

If you are looking for a bit more mid warmth, the FD1 might be something to investigate. I find it is a great complementary pair to the Starfield. The FD1 just needs a bit more instrument separation and layering...

I just got some Dekoni Bulletz. These tame that 4K peak entirely. Very nice sound. Midbass is a bit more noticable but its still well controlled. Very sweet sounding.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #6,915 of 12,007
  • The shell is slightly on the larger side, but should fit most ears. Thick 6mm Nozzle on the other hand could be a deal-breaker for many folks. (Pictured here with the much larger shelled Thieaudio Clairvoyance)IMG20201228215811.jpg

Blessing 2 Dusk
Staging - 6.5/10
Overall rating - 7.5/10
Nice review. Just one small technical correction. I bought a caliper because I was making mistakes in buying tips by purchasing the wrong size. The bore size for the Blessing 2 Dusk is 6.5mm. For my large ears, the tips and IEM shell size are a perfect fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back