Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #6,871 of 12,009
I need advice or comparison of B2 with Shuoer Tape if treble and detail retrieval is same. I have got Shuoer EJ07 so wondering if B2 will complement it. Thanks

I suggest going for TOTL then. Either a custom like A12t or MEST. Since you're sitting on Ej07

B2 / B2 dusk are great iems but IMO limited by driver count / price of the iem.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #6,872 of 12,009
My review of Moondrop x Crinacle Blessing 2: Dusk.

I titled the review "The Daywalker" as, I guess?, a reference to Blade*. A daywalker is a vampire with all of the strengths and none of the weaknesses, like being unable to walk outside during the day. This felt like an appropriate analogy for the Dusk. All of the potential downsides of boosting bass and dropping lower midrange -- distorted bass, muddy midrange, loss of detail -- are, in my estimation, completely avoided by the B2: Dusk. It's just more, tighter sub-bass, without the weaknesses you might expect from a $10 mod. If a B2 with more sub-bass is what you want, there's really no compromise here -- just a different flavor of the same great IEM.

*(I actually know this reference from watching Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 tournaments where the player PR Balrog would often be described by commentator Yipes as a daywalker -- PR Balrog had all of the strengths of a nutty / unpredictable player with none of the weaknesses 🤣)

For someone who finds the Starfield tonality perfect, Dusk or OG B2?

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #6,873 of 12,009
Maybe Dusk if you want the bass? I used to say in my review that if you don't bother with the lack of bass from Starfield then you can go for the Blessing 2.

Switching from Starfield to B2 was a bit hefty for me in the first day because of that, but I got used to it pretty quick.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #6,874 of 12,009
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #6,875 of 12,009
Purely on graph, I guess Dusk lines up a bit closer in tonality. But TBH I think Starfield is warmer than both, bass a bit woolier, and treble more relaxed. Neither Blessing does that.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #6,876 of 12,009
DSC07824.jpg

The Moondrop SSP carries over almost everything I liked about the Moondrop Super Space Reference (SSR) while making changes in key areas that will make it more appealing to a wider audience. In particular, the SSP’s overall tuning is more universally agreeable than the SSR. The SSP’s biggest remaining flaw is that like the SSR, the SSP struggles with extreme high- and low-end extension.

My full review, with measurements and an in-depth comparison with the Moondrop SSR, is available on my blog:

https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/moondrop-super-spaceship-pulse-ssp-review-e1f6f3e3da21

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #6,877 of 12,009
If anyone is looking for good foam tips for the Blessing 2, I can recommend misodiko's M550 and M550S. They fit B2's nozzle perfectly, they have slow rebound, and isolation is really good, as is comfort. They are also about 1 mm shorter than Moondrop's own foam mis-tips. Price-wise they are about the same for one pair as the mis-tips.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #6,878 of 12,009
DSC07824.jpg

The Moondrop SSP carries over almost everything I liked about the Moondrop Super Space Reference (SSR) while making changes in key areas that will make it more appealing to a wider audience. In particular, the SSP’s overall tuning is more universally agreeable than the SSR. The SSP’s biggest remaining flaw is that like the SSR, the SSP struggles with extreme high- and low-end extension.

My full review, with measurements and an in-depth comparison with the Moondrop SSR, is available on my blog:

https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/moondrop-super-spaceship-pulse-ssp-review-e1f6f3e3da21

Thanks for the review... this is what I've seen as well... what you said here:

"There is greater body to the SSP’s lower midrange than the SSR. There is also a greater sense of mid-bass bleed, which reduces midrange clarity somewhat. Again, this has the effect of taking the edge off of the SSP’s presence region, which I feel is a tradeoff worth making. Male and female vocal intelligibility are excellent, though not quite as clear as the SSR. The SSP does not put female vocals as far ahead of male vocals as the SSR. Both male and female vocals are less intense and shouty on the SSP than the SSR, though some vibrancy and richness are lost."

I mentioned this previously... the SSP loses the intimacy of the SSR which is what made it so very special!!

FYI... I just sold my SSP's yesterday... my SSR's are being enjoyed at this very moment :)

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #6,879 of 12,009
A co-worker was kind enough to bring their Starfields in for a listen yesterday. With the short time I had with them, I found them to be very fun sounding albeit somewhat lacking in clarity. I want to say that I prefer my TF10's in this regard, but I was still surprised with how good the Starfields were given the price! That being said, I just placed an order for the Dusks!

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #6,880 of 12,009
Was fortnuate to have received these a week before Christmas! I've posted a detailed review of my impressions with the B2 after spending time with them throughout the week, here's the TLDR:

1. Surprised about its bass. Good extension, fast, dynamic, detailed
  2. Vocal placement is not great. You can make out the lines and details of leaner male vocals, but female vocals feel lacking.
  3. Quite shouty, almost unbearable when listening to certain Asian pop music with female vocals.
  4. Dusk EQ tones down the harshness, but doesn't sound as coherent.
  5. Biggest gripe: Vocals lack emotion and somehow the whole package doesn't provide for an exciting listen.
  6. Compared to Moondrop Illumination, which has a more refined tune, B2 has much better dynamics and is not as "stingy" in presenting details despite worse detail retrieval.
You can check out my full impressions on the B2 and Illumination on my blog. Merry Christmas everyone!

Full Review Link:

https://tjmei.wordpress.com/2020/12/26/moondrop-blessing-2-sony-zx300a-unboxing-review/

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #6,881 of 12,009
I see these things have had a fair bit of hype about them. Can anybody comment on the comparison between the Blessing 2 & Westone W30?

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #6,882 of 12,009
Was fortnuate to have received these a week before Christmas! I've posted a detailed review of my impressions with the B2 after spending time with them throughout the week, here's the TLDR:

1. Surprised about its bass. Good extension, fast, dynamic, detailed
  2. Vocal placement is not great. You can make out the lines and details of leaner male vocals, but female vocals feel lacking.
  3. Quite shouty, almost unbearable when listening to certain Asian pop music with female vocals.
  4. Dusk EQ tones down the harshness, but doesn't sound as coherent.
  5. Biggest gripe: Vocals lack emotion and somehow the whole package doesn't provide for an exciting listen.
  6. Compared to Moondrop Illumination, which has a more refined tune, B2 has much better dynamics and is not as "stingy" in presenting details despite worse detail retrieval.
You can check out my full impressions on the B2 and Illumination on my blog. Merry Christmas everyone!

Full Review Link:

https://tjmei.wordpress.com/2020/12/26/moondrop-blessing-2-sony-zx300a-unboxing-review/

Merry Christmas!

You mention that the B2 is "shouty". You describe the B2/Dusk as lacking emotion. Is it the FR response or ...? Coherency is very tricky adjective. Please be more specific in your claim. I read your review, but that did not satisfy needing more information regarding the B2 Dusk's lack of coherency. Your description of the B2 (original) bass is an outlier to other reviewers/impressions. Could you elaborate why?

Have your compared the B2 Dusk to the Starfield? They have fairly similar FR graphs.

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #6,883 of 12,009
Just got a pair 2 days ago and put about 8-10 hours of listening onto the Dusks across multiple genres of music and sources. I posted random thoughts on the announcement thread. I didn't know about this one until now. I'll summarize my impressions here.

My first impression was positive because they fit my ears perfectly. I have large ears and with the stock tips, these are easily the most comfortable fit of any IEMs I've tried out of the box. The cable feels a bit cheap, but for this price range, it's probably fine. When I get my own, I'll probably replace the stock cable.

I started listening to 70s and 80s music and what immediately hit me was the clarity, clean sound and deep bass. This really hooked me right from the start. Imaging and separation are spot on. It's very easy to make out all instruments and their proper placement in the surprisingly large sound stage. I finally was able to experience the subbass shelf I have been reading about. It makes the rumble not interfere with the rest of the music. It's almost like you are surrounded with bass and there is a clear window onto the rest of the music. Fantastic. These IEMs are great for listening to the Eagles. In "Peaceful Easy Feeling," If the bass isn't done properly and over done, the guitar strumming gets covered by the bass line and kick drum. I've experience that with warm headphones like the HD650s. With the B2 Dusks, the separation was clear and clean. The lead guitar line is clear at the same time you hear the strumming background guitars and deep bass line and kick drum. While all of this is going on, you can still make out the drummer sticking the rim of his stare drum and it sounds like he is sticking the rim. I never heard that before that clearly. This is very impressive for any IEM, let alone a $330 one. I think it is this clarity and imaging that makes 70s and 80s music so pleasant to listen to. Older tracks sound great because I can hear details that I couldn't before with warmer headphones or more analytical headphones make sound really bad. Just the IEMs fit and how good they sound with 70s and 80s music are the reasons I am going to definitely pick up a pair for myself.

I then moved on to modern pop, rock and R&B. The Dusks work great for this newer genre of music. Basically, they sound great with any music that has a bass emphasis. The mids aren't as lush as my HD650s or VE8s, but that is to be expected. I don't find the mids to be recessed or forward at all. I find them to be perfectly balanced for my taste.

I finally discovered the limits of the Dusks when I did critical listening of Classical Music. The treble response is not sufficient for this genre. They sound okay, but when you listen to Horowitz playing Mozart concertos, as an example, you feel you are missing a lot of detail and sparkle that the upper harmonics offer to the music when listening in a concert hall.

If anyone is thinking about getting into critical listening for the first time and wants to know where to get started, I have zero doubt that I would recommend a pair of Sennheiser HD650/HD6XX if their want over the ears or the Moon Drop Blessing 2 Dusks for IEMs and pair them with a Fiio BTR5.

Well done, Moon Drop and Crinacle. You have a winner here.

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #6,884 of 12,009
Merry Christmas!

You mention that the B2 is "shouty". You describe the B2/Dusk as lacking emotion. Is it the FR response or ...? Coherency is very tricky adjective. Please be more specific in your claim. I read your review, but that did not satisfy needing more information regarding the B2 Dusk's lack of coherency. Your description of the B2 (original) bass is an outlier to other reviewers/impressions. Could you elaborate why?

Have your compared the B2 Dusk to the Starfield? They have fairly similar FR graphs.

Thanks!
I am not sure what the other reviewer is hearing, but let me explain what I am hearing. One of my absolute favorite vocal tracks is Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself". I love listening to this song with my Vision Ear VE8 IEMs. These IEMs have a warm sound signature and this song sounds lush while caressing your entire body as you listen to it. I love this warm sound signature for male vocals and it's my favorite way to listen to this song. On the Dusks, you don't get that warm presentation. Instead, you get a clean rendition. You can hear Justin Bieber's voice and some nice warmth and the harmonies clearly along with the percussion block and guitar line. If you focus, you can really hear each individual voice or instrument. But, it does not have that overall warm feeling you get with the other signature I am describing. Both are great, by the way. I love a clean sound. But, I just prefer the warmer presentation for that song. Warmth can interfere with clarity. I think the Dusk does a great job at delivering a bass boosted neutral sound signature that is very very well executed. The clarity and imaging is what makes 70s and 80s music sound so great.

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #6,885 of 12,009
Just got a pair 2 days ago and put about 8-10 hours of listening onto the Dusks across multiple genres of music and sources. I posted random thoughts on the announcement thread. I didn't know about this one until now. I'll summarize my impressions here.

My first impression was positive because they fit my ears perfectly. I have large ears and with the stock tips, these are easily the most comfortable fit of any IEMs I've tried out of the box. The cable feels a bit cheap, but for this price range, it's probably fine. When I get my own, I'll probably replace the stock cable.

I started listening to 70s and 80s music and what immediately hit me was the clarity, clean sound and deep bass. This really hooked me right from the start. Imaging and separation are spot on. It's very easy to make out all instruments and their proper placement in the surprisingly large sound stage. I finally was able to experience the subbass shelf I have been reading about. It makes the rumble not interfere with the rest of the music. It's almost like you are surrounded with bass and there is a clear window onto the rest of the music. Fantastic. These IEMs are great for listening to the Eagles. In "Peaceful Easy Feeling," If the bass isn't done properly and over done, the guitar strumming gets covered by the bass line and kick drum. I've experience that with warm headphones like the HD650s. With the B2 Dusks, the separation was clear and clean. The lead guitar line is clear at the same time you hear the strumming background guitars and deep bass line and kick drum. While all of this is going on, you can still make out the drummer sticking the rim of his stare drum and it sounds like he is sticking the rim. I never heard that before that clearly. This is very impressive for any IEM, let alone a $330 one. I think it is this clarity and imaging that makes 70s and 80s music so pleasant to listen to. Older tracks sound great because I can hear details that I couldn't before with warmer headphones or more analytical headphones make sound really bad. Just the IEMs fit and how good they sound with 70s and 80s music are the reasons I am going to definitely pick up a pair for myself.

I then moved on to modern pop, rock and R&B. The Dusks work great for this newer genre of music. Basically, they sound great with any music that has a bass emphasis. The mids aren't as lush as my HD650s or VE8s, but that is to be expected. I don't find the mids to be recessed or forward at all. I find them to be perfectly balanced for my taste.

I finally discovered the limits of the Dusks when I did critical listening of Classical Music. The treble response is not sufficient for this genre. They sound okay, but when you listen to Horowitz playing Mozart concertos, as an example, you feel you are missing a lot of detail and sparkle that the upper harmonics offer to the music when listening in a concert hall.

If anyone is thinking about getting into critical listening for the first time and wants to know where to get started, I have zero doubt that I would recommend a pair of Sennheiser HD650/HD6XX if their want over the ears or the Moon Drop Blessing 2 Dusks for IEMs and pair them with a Fiio BTR5.

Well done, Moon Drop and Crinacle. You have a winner here.
Great. I am eager to receive mine in a few days now. Seemingly works great for my taste in music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back