Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #6,886 of 12,007
I am not sure what the other reviewer is hearing, but let me explain what I am hearing. One of my absolute favorite vocal tracks is Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself". I love listening to this song with my Vision Ear VE8 IEMs. These IEMs have a warm sound signature and this song sounds lush while caressing your entire body as you listen to it. I love this warm sound signature for male vocals and it's my favorite way to listen to this song. On the Dusks, you don't get that warm presentation. Instead, you get a clean rendition. You can hear Justin Bieber's voice and some nice warmth and the harmonies clearly along with the percussion block and guitar line. If you focus, you can really hear each individual voice or instrument. But, it does not have that overall warm feeling you get with the other signature I am describing. Both are great, by the way. I love a clean sound. But, I just prefer the warmer presentation for that song. Warmth can interfere with clarity. I think the Dusk does a great job at delivering a bass boosted neutral sound signature that is very very well executed. The clarity and imaging is what makes 70s and 80s music sound so great.

Thanks for your helpful replies. You have me some good information and perspective to serioulsy consider. When you mentioned the snare rimshot from "Peaceful Easy Feeling" I immediatley went on a tangent and thought of Stewart Copeland's playing in this song:

:)

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #6,888 of 12,007
Merry Christmas!

You mention that the B2 is "shouty". You describe the B2/Dusk as lacking emotion. Is it the FR response or ...? Coherency is very tricky adjective. Please be more specific in your claim. I read your review, but that did not satisfy needing more information regarding the B2 Dusk's lack of coherency. Your description of the B2 (original) bass is an outlier to other reviewers/impressions. Could you elaborate why?

Have your compared the B2 Dusk to the Starfield? They have fairly similar FR graphs.

Thanks!
Thanks for the holiday greetings, and glad that you were able to take time to read through my blog. Here's my response to your questions:

1. HifiHawaii summarized it much better than I could. B2 is one of those IEMs perfect for BGM when I'm doing something rather than for example Z1R which demands my full attention.

2. Also do note that what I had on hand was a B2 eq'd to match B2 Dusk's sound, and most of the time when you add eq to the bass, it interferes with the presentation of the original signature. The lack of coherency is really a relative, which is quite negligible unless you were like me playing the same part of the track 50 times over to spot the minute differences.

3. In terms of bass, I really don't find myself to be that much of an outlier. Many reviewers tend to have a V-shaped or bass-boosted preference, and hence why B2's bass may not suffice their tastes. If you've read Crinacle's review, he also found the bass to be sufficient and one of the quotes was " That said I’d love more sub-bass and rumble, but the B2 already has more than adequate slam and texturing to the bass notes so this is more a preferential complaint than a critique. " You can also read Animus' review of the B2 in which he finds B2's bass to still be lacking in quality but sufficient slam and quantity. I'd also be happy to share with you the CN community's take as well, which they feel is generally a very balanced/neutral signature.

4. I have not, although if you are considering between the two you can also check out a Moondrop collab with Xuanerji, a well-known CN reviewer, called X-01, which many reviewers in CN also tend to praise a lot. Link: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/131336663

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #6,889 of 12,007
Thanks for the holiday greetings, and glad that you were able to take time to read through my blog. Here's my response to your questions:

1. HifiHawaii summarized it much better than I could. B2 is one of those IEMs perfect for BGM when I'm doing something rather than for example Z1R which demands my full attention.

2. Also do note that what I had on hand was a B2 eq'd to match B2 Dusk's sound, and most of the time when you add eq to the bass, it interferes with the presentation of the original signature. The lack of coherency is really a relative, which is quite negligible unless you were like me playing the same part of the track 50 times over to spot the minute differences.

3. In terms of bass, I really don't find myself to be that much of an outlier. Many reviewers tend to have a V-shaped or bass-boosted preference, and hence why B2's bass may not suffice their tastes. If you've read Crinacle's review, he also found the bass to be sufficient and one of the quotes was " That said I’d love more sub-bass and rumble, but the B2 already has more than adequate slam and texturing to the bass notes so this is more a preferential complaint than a critique. " You can also read Animus' review of the B2 in which he finds B2's bass to still be lacking in quality but sufficient slam and quantity. I'd also be happy to share with you the CN community's take as well, which they feel is generally a very balanced/neutral signature.

4. I have not, although if you are considering between the two you can also check out a Moondrop collab with Xuanerji, a well-known CN reviewer, called X-01, which many reviewers in CN also tend to praise a lot. Link: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/131336663

Thank you for your detailed response to my questions. Your explanations were helpful. I will continue to visit your reviews. Keep up the good work!

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #6,890 of 12,007
Got my Dusks in yesterday and I absolutely love the tuning! However, I've got really small ear canals and the all of the included ear tips cause me a lot of pressure and irritation. I ordered some T55 sponge Mis-tips and Dunu SpinFits to see if that helps any. Really hoping it does!

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #6,891 of 12,007
My Starfields that I ordered weeks ago finally arrived yesterday. I could not get a seal to save my life until I used larger tips than I accustomed to using. I found that the DUNU vocal (?) tips, the ones with that look like SpinFits, worked well. I am not a fan of the cable's feel. I switched to my SA3's cable and noticed an increase in treble presence and extension. I have been pretty much cable agnostic. I might have to re-think my cable belief system. Does anyone have recommendations for a comfortable, flexible, light cable that is similar sonically to the Starfield's original cable?

Initial impressions of the Starfield after 8 hours of use:
After settling on tips and getting a good seal, bass took awhile to present itself. This wasn't just brain burn as I was A/B-ing against my FD1.
That Starfleld lacks some dynamics, but excels in microdynamics/subtleties for the mid-range and is quite good in the bass and treble. The Starfield is THE ballad master.
Vocals, especially mid and higher pitch range vocals (mezzo soprano and higher?) are leaps and bounds better in the overall presentation than my other IEMs, even those much more expensive.

Very competent overall details, instrument placement, and soundstage width, height, and depth.
The paint on the metal shell makes it more comfortable wearing the Starfield in the cold.
A stellar purchase!

The Starfield has now disrupted my IEM purchasing priorities. Must buy new stuff! :wink: I now wonder if I just prefer single DD IEMs with competent tunings over hybrids. The last several weeks I have been nearly always been preferring to listen to single DD IEMs over my more expensive hybrids and all-BA units. I am really appreciating the tweaked Harman tuning but nothing brighter than that. My consistent preference for single DDs but loving the Moondrop (at least the Starfield) sound/tuning still gives me a conflict on purchasing the B2 or Dusk. In the back of my mind, I think it would be a good thing to wait until Moondrop develops another single DD in the sub-$350 range. Then again, the Dusk may be what I am looking for...
The FD5 may be a viable option but I need more information/impressions/reviews.

I am in no hurry to purchase anything as I am quite happy with the performance of my IEM herd.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #6,893 of 12,007
Got these little fellas in today, can't believe how small they really are. This is such a nice form factor, it's basically a barrel shaped IEM but with an extra little nub to guide the earhooks into position, I've not used them for any really long sessions yet but it's definitely one of the comfiest IEM's I've used. Cable is really nice as well, I like these slim coated cables, feels a hell of a lot sturdier than the cheap toss you usually get.

Sound wise I'm enjoying them quite a lot. I was expecting that big upper-midrange hump to sound a bit more offputting but I can't say it stands out to me all that much, doesn't feel that far off a Harman tuning just with less sub bass.
PXL_20201229_213339660.jpg

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #6,895 of 12,007
Hey all, my review of the Blessing 2: Dusk was just published here

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/moondrop-x-crinacle-b2-dusk-review-a-worthy-successor

Check it out if you get the chance :)

9A14AD66-3F6B-4AB7-9ECB-380A76923355.jpeg
Nice review. It hear the B2 Dusk very similarly to you. I also think the cable is cheap. In my initial impressions, I said that I loved the Dusk while listening to 70s and 80s music. This morning, I paired it with my Chord Mojo/Poly and it worked really well. The warmth of the Mojo sounded great with the Dusk and Classical guitar music.

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #6,900 of 12,007
My wife cuts me slack about anime. She knows how nostalgic I get about my playing in a band for years back in the day from this anime:

greeting-the-school.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back