Monster Turbine Gold vs Copper
Jun 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #31 of 63
It's weird, everybody always say that the gold have more bass, but really, to my ears, they both sound within 5% of each other's bass output, it's not like night and day. Most of the times, I prefer the coppers, I usually just let my friends borrow the golds. 

So really, just get the coppers, refined in every-way. But if you're short on cash, get the golds, in my opinion, the slightly more clarity isn't worth the extra $70 difference at onecall.com

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #32 of 63
Mushroomhead, Motorhead, Talking Heads, ?  
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
This looks like a good place to ask for help.

I don't have much experience with headphones/IEM's except the old Sony EX70's and now the Grado SR80's that I've been trying out extensively for the last 4 days. After a fair amount of research, I'm trying to decide between the Gold or Copper for my next purchase, though I'm open to other suggestions.

I bought the Grado's because I heard they were good for classic rock and more modern grunge type rock. Unfortunately, I'm really missing the bass. For example, listening to Nirvana's Nevermind or Van Halen I, the guitars sound awesome, but the drums and bass don't have the impact they should. I don't get into techno or too much electronic music besides Radiohead and Portishead (Let's avoid the obvious joke!) so I don't need the lowest of the low bass, but I really want to hear the impact of tight bass and drum heavy music by 311(the snap of the snare is key) or Incubus. I also really love the Alice In Chains droning guitar/bass sound. I also want want to get lost in Beck's Sea Change or Mutations sound which isn't bass driven, but I love all of the aural detail going on in the mix. My experience with the Grado's lends me to believe I don't want super bright treble, but I do love my screaming guitar solos.

So should I go Copper or Gold or something else entirely? The same price range give or take a few bucks please. I'm really looking for an IEM for everyday walking around with my HTC Incredible phone, but I wouldn't mind a full sized can recommendation for later. Thanks for any help.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #33 of 63

Quote:
I'm not sure about top 3 since that's preference but I would say the Coppers are probably the better choice. The bass on the Golds does overwhelm at times.

Lol, I was referring to his, uh...PHONE.  HTC Incredible lol.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #34 of 63

Quote:
@Lucozade, Anaxilus, rawster and Dweaver. Thanks for the responses! It looks like some Copper Pros are in my future then. The only complaint I hear about them is the soundstage is lacking.

I disagree about the soundstage, its wider than the Golds or MD's.  I'm convinced there are quite a few people that have heard the Coppers but haven't acutally 'heard' the Coppers if you catch my meaning.

Quote:
It's weird, everybody always say that the gold have more bass, but really, to my ears, they both sound within 5% of each other's bass output, it's not like night and day. Most of the times, I prefer the coppers, I usually just let my friends borrow the golds. 

So really, just get the coppers, refined in every-way. But if you're short on cash, get the golds, in my opinion, the slightly more clarity isn't worth the extra $70 difference at onecall.com

Yeah its about 5% but the Golds always do have more bass, even if you get the Copper to hit as low it has a different texture.  Its a quicker phone so thats not surprising.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #35 of 63

Quote:
I disagree about the soundstage, its wider than the Golds or MD's.  I'm convinced there are quite a few people that have heard the Coppers but haven't acutally 'heard' the Coppers if you catch my meaning.

Yeah its about 5% but the Golds always do have more bass, even if you get the Copper to hit as low it has a different texture.  Its a quicker phone so thats not surprising.

With that, do the Golds drown out the clarity of the monitor? 

I want a very clear IEM with great bass...

Thanks

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #36 of 63

Quote:
With that, do the Golds drown out the clarity of the monitor? 

I want a very clear IEM with great bass...

Thanks

Coppers are the way to go then.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #40 of 63

Quote:
Are there better options for $260 though?

Yes and no. It depends on your preference. For someone like me who values neutrality in a sound signature which the Coppers are not there are better buys for $260 and under. I would take a lot of earphones before the Coppers at $260. That does not mean they are not very good because they are. I'm not foolish enough to say they are horrible even when they don't suit me. They very well compete with the rest of my earphones that are very good as well as everything I have heard. If their signature suits you then they will be very difficult to beat. They do many things very well. They have good bass, great mids and a nice treble. Their stage is nice as well. They also have the best warranty you can find.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #41 of 63
Thanks for the reply. Just for the sake of learning... What are a couple models that you would prefer over the Coppers?

Quote:
Yes and no. It depends on your preference. For someone like me who values neutrality in a sound signature which the Coppers are not there are better buys for $260 and under. I would take a lot of earphones before the Coppers at $260. That does not mean they are not very good because they are. I'm not foolish enough to say they are horrible even when they don't suit me. They very well compete with the rest of my earphones that are very good as well as everything I have heard. If their signature suits you then they will be very difficult to beat. They do many things very well. They have good bass, great mids and a nice treble. Their stage is nice as well. They also have the best warranty you can find.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #42 of 63

Quote:
Are there better options for $260 though?

If you can get FX700's for $260 then yes.  If you don't mind lack of isolation.  Radius DDM's are well regarded as well, I happen to be selling a slightly used pair.  
tongue_smile.gif
 Though the Coppers would have more treble and clarity than the DDM's going from memory.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #43 of 63
Another vote for the Sony hybrid tips. I was disappointed when the set that came with my pair of golds didn't have a tip that worked for me. 8 bucks later and that particular woe is no more.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #44 of 63

Quote:

...and that answer is why i am getting the coppers.  I listen to house, trance, techno, mostly.  I can get the MTPC with control talk, in the UK for £250 (£200 without controltalk). The golds are the same price.  I can get the Westone 3's for £260.  My music device is the iPhone 4, so the controltalk is a real nice to have.  Am i still making the right choice or should i forgo the controltalk and get the westone 3?  This buying IEMs business is hard. Help me decide once and for all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back