Monster Turbine Gold vs Copper
Mar 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #16 of 63
I use the Sony Hybrids on everything they can fit on that I own. Love em.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 63
Hybrids are great and I've heard the work well on the Golds. And yes, the bass is the boomy part. If you wan't to get simpler, Bass is the lowest notes, midrange is the middle stuff, and treble is the high stuff. There is also Sub-Bass, which is the very lowest notes that are often more felt than they are heard. And although you can never get a full-body sensation from IEMs, sub-bass can still be very impressive with some of them. I can't think of any IEM that could possibly be explicitly better for those genres than the turbine Gold, except some bass-tuned customs perhaps.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hybrids are great and I've heard the work well on the Golds. And yes, the bass is the boomy part. If you wan't to get simpler, Bass is the lowest notes, midrange is the middle stuff, and treble is the high stuff. There is also Sub-Bass, which is the very lowest notes that are often more felt than they are heard. And although you can never get a full-body sensation from IEMs, sub-bass can still be very impressive with some of them. I can't think of any IEM that could possibly be explicitly better for those genres than the turbine Gold, except some bass-tuned customs perhaps.

So you're saying the Gold's are good for techno, hip-hop, base-heavy music?

Can you give me some links to buy the Hybrids.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #22 of 63
This looks like a good place to ask for help.

I don't have much experience with headphones/IEM's except the old Sony EX70's and now the Grado SR80's that I've been trying out extensively for the last 4 days. After a fair amount of research, I'm trying to decide between the Gold or Copper for my next purchase, though I'm open to other suggestions.

I bought the Grado's because I heard they were good for classic rock and more modern grunge type rock. Unfortunately, I'm really missing the bass. For example, listening to Nirvana's Nevermind or Van Halen I, the guitars sound awesome, but the drums and bass don't have the impact they should. I don't get into techno or too much electronic music besides Radiohead and Portishead (Let's avoid the obvious joke!) so I don't need the lowest of the low bass, but I really want to hear the impact of tight bass and drum heavy music by 311(the snap of the snare is key) or Incubus. I also really love the Alice In Chains droning guitar/bass sound. I also want want to get lost in Beck's Sea Change or Mutations sound which isn't bass driven, but I love all of the aural detail going on in the mix. My experience with the Grado's lends me to believe I don't want super bright treble, but I do love my screaming guitar solos.

So should I go Copper or Gold or something else entirely? The same price range give or take a few bucks please. I'm really looking for an IEM for everyday walking around with my HTC Incredible phone, but I wouldn't mind a full sized can recommendation for later. Thanks for any help.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #23 of 63
@Reprobate , go for the coppers ,they will be better for what you want  , i know as i have the golds and the copper, Not all music sounds right on the golds ,they have to much bass and are very warm , the coppers are much more balanced ,still having great bass and great extended sparkly treble, and electric guitar sounds great on the coppers as do vocals and drums etc.
popcorn.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 63
x2 Coppers.  They are also more easily driven by your phone.  Gratz on the Incredible, definitley one of the top 3 phones on the market, prob not the best for SQ though.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 63
I'm not sure about top 3 since that's preference but I would say the Coppers are probably the better choice. The bass on the Golds does overwhelm at times.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #26 of 63
X4 on the Coppers, they make guitars come alive and if you burn them in correctly they will have very nice bass as well. Out of the MTP line they are the most balanced but not at the expense of bass (or any other part of the spectrum for that matter).

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #27 of 63

Quote:
X4 on the Coppers, they make guitars come alive and if you burn them in correctly they will have very nice bass as well. Out of the MTP line they are the most balanced but not at the expense of bass (or any other part of the spectrum for that matter).

is the copper a big step up from the gold?
i got the golds cause of the bass
i want to know if the coppers retain that quality bass

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #29 of 63
I have two pairs of Copper, one with slightly less bass than the other. The lesser one is close to the same bass as the Gold but slightly less the other would have slightly more. But I am going memory of the Gold unfortunately. The difference in my two Coppers is either variations in manufacture or I believe a difference in how they have been burned in (look for my thread, a tale of two IEM's) if your interested.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 63
@Lucozade, Anaxilus, rawster and Dweaver. Thanks for the responses! It looks like some Copper Pros are in my future then. The only complaint I hear about them is the soundstage is lacking, but at this point I'm not too sensitive to that. I also like that they work with the Sony ear tips that I'm accustomed to if the stock ones don't fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back