Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Mar 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #61 of 1,122
i have both too and it is too early to say anything about the pfe but both are very nice. however, i think i prefer the turbine. the pfe are quite nice but their main problem for me is comfort. the turbine slide into the ear and the pfe put pressure on my ear in about places.

i can get heaps and heaps of bass with a good stage with the pfe by just using high density pink or orange earplugs and cutting and punching them properly. in fact, i get more bass from them this way than with most iems i have tried. i still hope to get a good listen to an SA6 to see which punches more using this method, but the bass quality has one main drawback with the pfe: it is a sound.

with the turbine, i can hear and feel it. not a punch but a deep rumble that lets me experience the music 'live' just that bit more.

if you prefer a studio sound, then the pfe might be it, but if you prefer hearing and feeling the stage monitors, the turbine are better.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #62 of 1,122
I have a problem with the way the turbines sits in my ear. Specifically, the metal housing (where the diagonal slits are) pushes against my ear and causes some irritation. I think if I could push the phones deeper into my ear it won't be a problem.

I'm using the smallest single-flange silicone that came with the turbines. I've ordered some of the Sony Hybrid ones as well. I'm hoping that they are just a tiny bit smaller, overall, than the stock monster ones.

Anyone have any suggestions for increasing the comfort? I was thinking of wrapping foam around the metal or something but that would be an eyesore. Also, do users wrap the cords over the top of their ears? The turbines are heavy and I worry that they may fall out or become loose if use the turbines while running.

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #64 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by neutraloss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Specifically, the metal housing

I was going to say that. While the metal housing brings the blinks, sum ppl don't like the feel of metal against skin. Got some clear shrink tubbing? it's gonna make the barrel thicker though, and potentially take some blink.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #67 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol that sucks, it happened to me with other packages..

Happens to me all the time with my STUPID apartment complex.
angry_face.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #68 of 1,122
haha yeah sometimes i forget to put my apartment letter and they act like they dont know where i live just by the house number and my name (i order online ALOT, its like a daily truck stop at my house LOL)

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #69 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha yeah sometimes i forget to put my apartment letter and they act like they dont know where i live just by the house number and my name (i order online ALOT, its like a daily truck stop at my house LOL)

LOL, I had that going for a while too. Anyways, if someone has a comparison between the Turbines and IE7, shoot me a PM or something, please!

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #71 of 1,122
So does the Turbine have more bass than the Denon C551K? I'm thinking about upgrading this week seeing that MacMall has them for $105.

The Klipsch Image S4 isn't here anytime soon so I mind as well jump on the Turbines.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #72 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with the turbine, i can hear and feel it. not a punch but a deep rumble that lets me experience the music 'live' just that bit more.

That about sums up what I first thought of the Turbines...wow, I can feel the bass in my ears like I haven't before with either the TFP10s or the 530s. When I have commented on the Turbines' visceral bass, this is what I mean.

Some of the other comments about their clarity definitely resonate with me. After listening to some of my very old CDs (i.e., I really really know these albums and tracks, some for over 25 years), it was like they were new to me again. When I went back with my other IEMs (and some fullsize), I also heard these new sounds/grooves/whatever, but the Turbines made it more musical (all part of the continuing learning process that makes this fun).

Regarding the stated specifications, I never noticed whether Monster published any or not. I agree it all comes down to the sound (regardless of the FR curve, etc.). I don't agree with all of Monster's products or marketing attempts, but for these they nailed it given the price they targeted.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #73 of 1,122
Damn, people. I think you've talked me into getting my first pair of IEM's. I'm going to order it today....

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #74 of 1,122
I have a feeling you will enjoy them...

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #75 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I had that going for a while too. Anyways, if someone has a comparison between the Turbines and IE7, shoot me a PM or something, please!

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Same here.

I just bought the IE7's.... I might buy the Turbines for comparison, unless there's more people that think the IE7 wins hands down..

I'll be doing a IE7 vs. PFE comparison in a couple days if that is of any help to you guys, since my IE7s should show up tomorrow or tuesday.

I realize that the turbines and the PFE are pretty different, but it still might give you an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back