Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Mar 27, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #31 of 1,122
I ordered these in Amazon. Cheap saturday shipping (prime ftw.)

Let's see if these can really outperform my trusty UE SF5P.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #35 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, one thing bothers me is that there is no specification.

"Specifications? Monster Turbines are ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC."

Hope the Turbines are to your liking when you get them. Out of curiosity though, what specifications are you interested in? I like having specifications as well, but I've never really found them to be very useful in telling me much about how a given headphone or earphone sounds. The only vaguely useful thing I've been able to glean from them is roughly how loud they can go and whether they might need amping based on impedance and sensitivity.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #36 of 1,122
What I am interested in is whether they show specifications or not.

Because one of first signs of snake-oil and/or ripoff companies is not showing specifications and instead tell "just listen"

Bose, Monster, some exotic cable companies and well known snake-oil companies are notorious for not publish specifications.

I don't care if the freq response of Turbine is as horrible as Skull Candy headphones. They sound good, then they are good. Period.

What I am bothered is that the FACT that they REFUSE to publish specifications.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #37 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I am interested in is whether they show specifications or not.

Because one of first signs of snake-oil and/or ripoff companies is not showing specifications and instead tell "just listen"

Bose, Monster, some exotic cable companies and well known snake-oil companies are notorious for not publish specifications.

I don't care if the freq response of Turbine is as horrible as Skull Candy headphones. They sound good, then they are good. Period.

What I am bothered is that the FACT that they REFUSE to publish specifications.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clear and concise explanation. Now that you mention it, I think the Turbines are the first earphone I've bought where there are no specs at all on the box. And considering what I've heard about Monster, I'm not surprised that they're facing a lot of skepticism. Since, you're buying them, I guess you'll find out for yourself soon. Please post your opinions when you get them. It should be interesting to see whether they change your mind about Monster or at least win your approval.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you still would like to know the specs, i would post them here asap.

Please do. I'm pretty curious myself now.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #38 of 1,122
Yes, I have a bit closed mind against Monster...

See, us Audiophiles have established this formula.

Monster and Bose = Crap and Garbage.

I have good collection of headphones like Dobber has... So I will exam the Turbine very carefully.

I will also check if these IEM benefit from good amplification. (Beta22 would be overkill, but HR Micro with low gain would be perfect)

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #39 of 1,122
Are these a step Up from Shure Se 310.I am tempted to give them a try,My shures doesn't seem to survive that long :S
Cable scares me a lot from the joint of the cable and the monitor..

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #40 of 1,122
They are a step up from the SE310.

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #41 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are a step up from the SE310.

I had thought so upon the great reviews on them.I will try to sell them and buy a pair of them for myself.

Thank you for your reply..

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #42 of 1,122
Bose is to speakers = Monster is to audio.

And a propensity to make up bad names, a few years ago they named the San Francisco ball park as the Monster Park, but then of course here in Silicon Valley, Monster to us is Monster.com, the employment agency! Turbine for earphones immediately make me think of the nose ailment, not of the engine.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #43 of 1,122
Guess it's hard for some to separate the company from the product. While I am no fan of Monster on balance, the Turbines are fine dynamic phones, and a good value. Many people who reviewed them, including me, thought they had very many good characteristics, but were not perfect, of course. As is the case with every in-ear phone mentioned on Head-Fi. Buy, try and keep/return.

Just as an FYI, the Turbine name comes from a cable they sell, I believe, as the driver housing shares the same design with the cable terminals.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #44 of 1,122
This information from Monster:

16 ohm
Even though we discourage paying much attention to specifications rather than to the music itself, for your records, the driver diameter is 8mm. The sensitivity is spec'd at 97db/mw @ 1kHz. Driver diaphragm material is P.E.T. (Polyethylene terephthalate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back