Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Jan 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #871 of 2,269

Quote:
Hey guys,
I got mine from amazon.com for $299.99, I'm hoping that they aren't fakes.  It seems like the cables are kinda thin for the price not nearly as thick as my shure se530's and they feel kinda rubbery.  They do sound pretty good and came with 2 bags of monster tips, 2 sets of triple flanges, and 3 regular tips.  Its scary that fakes are made so real.  It says Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC, so I'm about 90 percent sure they are real, I don't want to give out tmi but I have an inner ear infection and can't listen to them to make sure they sound right.  Does anyone else think the cords are kinda thin?

that's right, the cabling on the miles davis suck in comparison to others (including there lower priced brothers (turbines) the cabling is thin, feels flimsy and rubbery and tangles really easily.you got a genuine phone my friend. well, easy test to see if they are real or not, is the nozzle/filter/grill pointing inwards or out, if it's slightly bulging out, then you've got a genuine phone

james

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #872 of 2,269

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,
I got mine from amazon.com for $299.99, I'm hoping that they aren't fakes.  It seems like the cables are kinda thin for the price not nearly as thick as my shure se530's and they feel kinda rubbery.  They do sound pretty good and came with 2 bags of monster tips, 2 sets of triple flanges, and 3 regular tips.  Its scary that fakes are made so real.  It says Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC, so I'm about 90 percent sure they are real, I don't want to give out tmi but I have an inner ear infection and can't listen to them to make sure they sound right.  Does anyone else think the cords are kinda thin?

that's right, the cabling on the miles davis suck in comparison to others (including there lower priced brothers (turbines) the cabling is thin, feels flimsy and rubbery and tangles really easily.you got a genuine phone my friend. well, easy test to see if they are real or not, is the nozzle/filter/grill pointing inwards or out, if it's slightly bulging out, then you've got a genuine phone

james

Yeah, I was about to say that. Here's a picture I took comparing the grilles of a fake monster iem to a real one (real on the left, fake on the right).

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #873 of 2,269
Thankyou for the quick replay.  The grills on the filters are pointing out so I they are real, just kinda weird the cable is like that in this price point.  Its almost like my klipsch s4.   Good thing they have a life time warranty.  Thanks again for the quick and informative reply. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #874 of 2,269
Thankfully, I have been refunded the money I paid for the fakes.

I would have thought the casing being made of metal is the most obvious indication they are real. They should feel weighty and be cold to the touch.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #875 of 2,269
I think it's worth it for the lifetime warranty.

Anyway, my MD's left earpiece just died on me
frown.gif
 after 2 months of heavy use around 6 to 7 hours a day. Thankfully, Monster replied my query quicklyu and offered to give an exchange. Oh well, thankfully I still have my brand new X10i, time to get myself acquinted with them better.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #876 of 2,269

Quote:
I think it's worth it for the lifetime warranty.

Anyway, my MD's left earpiece just died on me
frown.gif
 after 2 months of heavy use around 6 to 7 hours a day. Thankfully, Monster replied my query quicklyu and offered to give an exchange. Oh well, thankfully I still have my brand new X10i, time to get myself acquinted with them better.

Damn, that's fast. No IEMs of any sort of mine would ever die in two months. Even if they are those cheap Phillips ones, haha.

In that case, thank goodness for Lifetime Warranty.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #877 of 2,269
Yeah, I especially took very good care of them even buying a Pelican 1010 just to store them carefully after each use. I guess these MDs are really fragile since they are my first IEMs to break down. My old Sennheiser CX550 is still going strong even after over 2 years of use. But well thankfully these MDs are covered by warranty, no worry, just send back and get a new one.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #878 of 2,269
hello guys, i would like to know which mp3 player does really have a nice amp built..

forgive me here, i am using diddybeats and i've been tryin to sell them because i couldn't appreciate them and since i've been monitoring this thread i have decided to buy MDs(love midrange, i can't stand with a sparkling and extended highs coz' i have a very low tolerance of the treble) .. i feel so very fatiguing to them i cannot appreciate the bass of it coz it's too much heavy that it gives me an headache, but i'm a bass lover. I am using it on my iPhone 4 then burned it in on my Macbook i noticed the big difference when using it to those devices i don't know if the soundstage is the difference because when i use it on my iPhone the highs are not so well extended, the layerings not even there, the lows are so heavy and overwhelming the Mids, but on my laptop it sounded very good, very clear i know that computers have good amps built in them. the voice echoes clearly.

It sounded just right on my laptop and could appreciate it, i could really hear the separation and the layering well.. when i listened to the song CHURCH by T-pain the intro, i can hear his voice going left and right on the laptop on the iPhone 4 i can't hear it. my question is am i right that it's the soundstage i'm talkin about? if not i would really appreciate it.. i am askin all of these so that i would know if the MDs would also be like that on the iP4 (God, i hope not).

My iPhone is the only mp3 player i got and as much as possible i don't want to enter into an amping stage(would really cost me) or maybe there are cheap good amps you can tell me and also mp3 players with good amp built in them.. or which generation of iPod has good amps. can you please recommend me portable amps for iPhone 4 and to an iPod player pleeaasee
would the MDs impress me even on an iPhone 4 as a player?
if so, please can you describe the soundstage and the layerings in it.. i would really appreciate everything.. thank you

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #879 of 2,269

Quote:

My iPhone is the only mp3 player i got and as much as possible i don't want to enter into an amping stage(would really cost me)
would the MDs impress me even on an iPhone 4 as a player?
if so, please can you describe the soundstage and the layerings in it.. i would really appreciate everything.. thank you

I had the MD's for a while, and tried them with my iPod Touch 2G. The match was very good if I remember correctly, because the Touch had a neutral sound - bordering on cool - while the MD's were very warm, full and rich. They were a better match with my Touch than my Sony X. How much more different the sound of the iPhone 4 is compared with the Touch 2G, I don't know - but if it's still fairly cool sounding, I think you'll like the pairing with the MD's and it will drive them easily.

Sorry, don't have enough memory to recall the soundstage, except that it wasn't especially wide. But that wouldn't really matter with the iPhone if it has the same soundstage as the Touch (which is wider than any dap I've used before). Anyway, I would suggest that you keep your money in your wallet for the time being (since there's plenty of time for it to get emptied the longer you're here....) and see how you like them straight out of the iPhone for a couple of weeks.

As for players with nice amps; the Sony X and J3 come to mind. But I think you'll like the MD's just fine with your iPhone
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #880 of 2,269
@soozieq  thank you for sharing.. but, just right now, my iPod 3rd gen sounds better than my iP4 ... my sound test was Taylor Swift's MINE.. at chorus when cymbals were more often heard, i can hear the extension a quite similar to my laptop, but in my iP4 i think it's recessed the lows did really overwhelmed the cymbals there.. i can't prefer touch anymore coz it's kinda big maybe if there's  an ipod nano that is much better with my 3rd gen that has more better amp built.. also i thought that maybe coz it's a " Phone "  that's why it it doesn't have a good amp in it just a phone with a music player something like that.. i just read the multi tier IEMS and i am really impressed with the MDs over the coppers.. too bad doesn't have control talk in it..

well, if somebody would suggest an ipod with a quite impressive built-in amp with it i might as well erase all my songs on my iP4 ...
i don't know if i'm a semi-audiophile or what but i don't really like my diddybeats.. when i listened to David Cook's Always Be My Baby, on the 2nd chorus i can't even hear the back-up ladies singing with David Cook.. i hope that the MDs will really reveal them since it's an mid-forward IEM..

thanks again.. would like to hear more

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #882 of 2,269
Well I got my replacement MDs last week and they are already broken. The housing has split into two. Apparently the glue they used isn't very strong. This is my third pair, I think I might just request a refund and get a pair of customs. I love the warranty but it shouldn't be an excuse for shoddy build quality.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #883 of 2,269

Quote:
The MD is a colored and rich in sound and as such need as neutral a source is possible. Maybe you can consider Sanza Clip+ since many people consider them to be neutral sounding.

thank you, will review that. i can't actually describe the nature of my iPod 3rd gen but i do like the SQ they produce on my diddybeats, how much more when the MD comes.. and i am curious about how much (if ever) the amp of iPod nano 5th or 6th gen has improved...

is there anyone here who uses an iPod 5th 6th gen with the MDs...
thank you again

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #884 of 2,269
The Clip+ actually doesn't do well with the MDs. New generation Ipods actually do fairly well and an S:Flo2. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #885 of 2,269

Quote:
The Clip+ actually doesn't do well with the MDs. New generation Ipods actually do fairly well and an S:Flo2. 

thanks for the info.
mind if i ask, actually i'm planning to buy a 4th gen or 5th gen ipod nano.. my question is is there any differences between the two in terms of SOUND QUALITY do the 5th gens have more better SQ, or they're just the same(only cams are added on the 5th gen)?

actually i have a 3rd gen ipod nano and i was wonderin if my ipod has the same SQ with the 4th and 5th gen, then i might as well save my money....
thanks.. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back