Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Jan 12, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #856 of 2,269

Quote:
I've ordered some MDs through a playtrader at Play.com priced at £160 when they usually retail for £300.

I fully expect them to be fake, but I'm trying to have a bit of faith in humanity. I contacted the seller and she said she cannot prove they are real, but insisted they were priced low to clear old stock. Also the seller doesn't have any feedback yet which is worrying. I like to think the seller responding to my enquiry rather than ignoring it is a good sign.

I definitely think I have lost my money here, but I'm really hoping they turn out to be real and if not perhaps I can dispute this through Play.

From a youtube unboxing vid of a fake it seems the tell tale sign is if the gold part is plastic instead of metal.

Anything else I should look out for on a fake?

It could be refurbished goods. Not sure if they do that to the MDs though...

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #858 of 2,269

Quote:
It states "Brand New Sealed" on the listing.

If it turns out they are fake I'll post some pictures here for others to use as reference.

Okies, Good luck for your purchase! Hope its a Bona Fide MDs, Which i will congratulate on moving to another realm of sonic nurvana though its clearly not the end of it yet ^_^

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #859 of 2,269
Lol, well it should be at an end since I got my ACS T1 customs, but for £160 I couldn't resist buying a pair of MDs to see how they compare to the SM3, IE8 and Coppers.

I just fear that £160 is wasted because of the old adage, if it looks too good to be true it probably is!

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #861 of 2,269

Quote:
I'm loving these things....they're somewhat addicting.

I agree! These ain't the be-all-end-all definitely but one of the most out there certainly which grows on you alot =D

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #862 of 2,269

Quote:
Lol, well it should be at an end since I got my ACS T1 customs, but for £160 I couldn't resist buying a pair of MDs to see how they compare to the SM3, IE8 and Coppers.

I just fear that £160 is wasted because of the old adage, if it looks too good to be true it probably is!

I bought a traded for a fake, lost $150

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #863 of 2,269
Absolutely...pretty good imaging too. They're not the most precise out there, not the cleanest out there, not the best out there. But they're pretty fast and very fun. Really really good for dynamics.

Quote:

Quote:
I'm loving these things....they're somewhat addicting.

I agree! These ain't the be-all-end-all definitely but one of the most out there certainly which grows on you alot =D

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #864 of 2,269
Gutted, opened the package this morning and I could tell they were fake without evening opening the box! This was because the Miles Davis CD was separate to the IEM box.

Other things I noticed:

- poor quality graphics on the box
- plastic gold bits instead of metal (they feel a lot lighter than my REAL Turbine Coppers)
- only one pair of super-tips
- storage cases of lower quality than ones that came with Coppers
- oh yes, they sounded AWFUL compared to all my other iems.

I will be seeking compensation as I don't want to lose £160 to some scum bag.

It's probably my own fault for being naive, but I just wanted to believe that not everyone is a dishonest, lying ******!

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #865 of 2,269

Quote:
Gutted, opened the package this morning and I could tell they were fake without evening opening the box! This was because the Miles Davis CD was separate to the IEM box.

Other things I noticed:

- plastic gold bits instead of metal (they feel a lot lighter than my REAL Turbine Coppers)

It's probably my own fault for being naive, but I just wanted to believe that not everyone is a dishonest, lying ******!

also, to add to your observations, the gold plating is way too...rich in color, right near the strain reliefs, there is a vertical mold line that was just plated with gold making it very noticeable. the nozzle/filter is depressed instead of bulging out a little. also, though the body is a very rich gold, the gold tipping/decor near the far end of the strain relief is slightly less rich in color and thus contrasts with the body. anywho, the clip's design is also different from the real ones, they have a swivel joint instead of a simple alligator teeth.Though I doubt anybody could tell these differences if they have never used or had in there possession the real one for more than a bit of time. Honestly, they didn't sound that bad to my ears, but it's the thought that you got ripped off that makes you want to smash them

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #866 of 2,269

Quote:
Quote:

Other things I noticed:

also, to add to your observations, the gold plating is way too...rich in color, right near the strain reliefs, there is a vertical mold line that was just plated with gold making it very noticeable. the nozzle/filter is depressed instead of bulging out a little. also, though the body is a very rich gold, the gold tipping/decor near the far end of the strain relief is slightly less rich in color and thus contrasts with the body. anywho, the clip's design is also different from the real ones, they have a swivel joint instead of a simple alligator teeth.Though I doubt anybody could tell these differences if they have never used or had in there possession the real one for more than a bit of time. Honestly, they didn't sound that bad to my ears, but it's the thought that you got ripped off that makes you want to smash them

Yeah, Though i agree that compensation / refund is a need. SQ isn't garbage bad just way behind the authentic one, I still cant forget i had a friend who bought a fake beats tour in-ear which sound surpassed Skullcandy FMJ by quite the margin =S

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #868 of 2,269

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Other things I noticed:

Yeah, Though i agree that compensation / refund is a need. SQ isn't garbage bad just way behind the authentic one, I still cant forget i had a friend who bought a fake beats tour in-ear which sound surpassed Skullcandy FMJ by quite the margin =S

Makes me want to buy the fake IE8's that are going for 38$ or so shipped lol, I'm sure they'd sound better than iBuds lol

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #869 of 2,269

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Other things I noticed:

Makes me want to buy the fake IE8's that are going for 38$ or so shipped lol, I'm sure they'd sound better than iBuds lol

Intuitively, I think even those will beat the crap outta the sleek garbage FMJ lolx

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #870 of 2,269
Hey guys,
I got mine from amazon.com for $299.99, I'm hoping that they aren't fakes.  It seems like the cables are kinda thin for the price not nearly as thick as my shure se530's and they feel kinda rubbery.  They do sound pretty good and came with 2 bags of monster tips, 2 sets of triple flanges, and 3 regular tips.  Its scary that fakes are made so real.  It says Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC, so I'm about 90 percent sure they are real, I don't want to give out tmi but I have an inner ear infection and can't listen to them to make sure they sound right.  Does anyone else think the cords are kinda thin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back