Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Mar 10, 2010 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,269

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll start it here, since I just received mine this evening and am already mightily impressed straight away. I would love to hear them in direct comparison to the Coppers though. But I'm usually not this impressed right away with a new earphone.

Comments, thoughts... post 'em up.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll start it here, since I just received mine this evening and am already mightily impressed straight away. I would love to hear them in direct comparison to the Coppers though. But I'm usually not this impressed right away with a new earphone.

Comments, thoughts... post 'em up.
biggrin.gif

Is it worth it? Can it handle all sorts of music?

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 2,269
Welcome to my world of angst @ Chris...lol. Although I don't have the MDs, that's exactly how I felt about the Coppers when I first heard them. Now, I'm about to blow you and search away with a new wrinkle. Read my posts to James under the Playaz N1 thread (page 3) about the these Japanese brand called XEars. And don't get mad at me because I'm mad at myself, but truth is truth....

Enjoy buddy!!

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 2,269
My source is the Sony X1060, and I have it paired with the ALO Rx. They're a bit harder to drive than the IE8's, so the extra power is much appreciated.

Unfortunately I have so much going on with my job, and life things outside of work, that I am not sure if I'll get the chance to post up a big long review/comparison. I may just need to stick to shorter impressions for the time being. I feel bad about that since these certainly warrant a very thorough write up.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you're enjoying them Chris! Check out some lenny kravitz with them!

I already beat you to that one! Great suggestion.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to my world of angst @ Chris...lol. Although I don't have the MDs, that's exactly how I felt about the Coppers when I first heard them. Now, I'm about to blow you and search away with a new wrinkle. Read my posts to James under the Playaz N1 thread (page 3) about the these Japanese brand called XEars. And don't get mad at me because I'm mad at myself, but truth is truth....

Enjoy buddy!!

Thanks, I'm certainly enjoying them tonight. They just sound so smooth and connected across the whole frequency range, with no glaring problems. I didn't expect such a cohesive sound despite what I'd read in advance.

The only thing I have an issue with is the appearance. Let's just say the Monster designers don't know how to do understated minimalism! I mean, a BLUE cable?? But I don't care cause I'm still gonna whip them out on my upcoming trip to Asia.
icon10.gif

So are those Xears rivaling the Coppers?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #11 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I'm certainly enjoying them tonight. They just sound so smooth and connected across the whole frequency range, with no glaring problems. I didn't expect such a cohesive sound despite what I'd read in advance.

The only thing I have an issue with is the appearance. Let's just say the Monster designers don't know how to do understated minimalism! I mean, a BLUE cable?? But I don't care cause I'm still gonna whip them out on my upcoming trip to Asia.
icon10.gif

So are those Xears rivaling the Coppers?

Too early to say how they are rivaling. The Coppers (and I believe the MDs and Gold as well) have a unique sound sig. of their own in that family that I (and apparently you and others) actually enjoy. But those XEars certainly can stand pretty close to the Copper, e-Q7 and IE8 in sound quality considering the price paid for them. I mean they slammed me in the face without burn in so I'm highly impressed. Now it's time to see what some burn in can do for these outstanding Japanese IEMs. Man, I want to hear those Miles Davis', but money will be tight for awhile unless I sell the IE8, which I"m trying to resist doing. Enjoy Chris....

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 2,269
Haha the blue cable is my favorite part about these, though I don't own them. I saw a picture of the packaging somewhere on google. I normally can't stand gold, but theres something oddly attractive to me about how the colors interact for the MD. Or maybe I just like blue. A lot.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I normally can't stand gold, but theres something oddly attractive to me about how the colors interact for the MD.

I agree. There's something Egyptian about the whole color scheme, I want to say. It does remind me of some of Davis's outfits.

I wear blue/grey/black, boredom itself. But I like these things. I always thought the IE8 resembled the cables that attach atop car batteries.

So... What do they sound like, especially compared to the other Turbines, which I've been reading about? As someone else has summed up, the Copper is apparently the transparent one, with the edge on soundstage, and the Gold is apparently the "fun" one, with the edge on bass.

I've read Monster's copy on how these are supposedly geared toward jazz. I listen to rock so I'm curious if the bias would help or hurt me.

As for their price, quite frankly I don't think anything under $500, with a lifetime warranty, is overpriced. I've stayed away from the e-Q7 thus far partly because a one-year warranty on a $300+ IEM has left me burned once before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back