Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Mar 10, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #31 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't Sony Hybrid tips tame the top a little?

For me, they help the top end. But then again, I've never had much luck with monster tips. When I had the standard Turbines, none of the included ones worked at all. With these the soft gel-like tips were pretty good, but when I put on the Hybrids, the bottom and top ends opened up. I guess they fit my particular ear canals better. Maybe try the Hybrids again and be sure to push them down as far as they'll go on the nozzles.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #32 of 2,269
Well I cannot believe I did this, but I bought a pair today. I love my CK10s but my curiousity over these monster products is going crazy.

The CK10s amaze me with their clear, accurate, detailed response but I think they are missing that WOW/FUN factor. I hope I find it with the Monster MD Tributes.

I think I will be stepping away from this website very shortly as it has caused my wallet and I some very sleepless nights.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #33 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I cannot believe I did this, but I bought a pair today. I love my CK10s but my curiousity over these monster products is going crazy.

The CK10s amaze me with their clear, accurate, detailed response but I think they are missing that WOW/FUN factor. I hope I find it with the Monster MD Tributes.

I think I will be stepping away from this website very shortly as it has caused my wallet and I some very sleepless nights.

Hey, congrats. I look forward to your impressions. So far I'm very impressed. I just bought the AT CK90Pro's before these, and the Monsters have relegated them, and just about everything I have to the drawer. The MD's have better clarity than this pair of AT's for sure.

If you're after wow/fun factor, I'd say you'll find it. From what I've read of the CK10's I'm not sure you'll find equal clarity/detail in the MD's, but they're no slouch either. They present a clearer, more extended treble than my IE8's.

I feel your pain about the wallet. I'm going to have to clean house again soon myself.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #34 of 2,269
I posted this in the Ortofon thread, but I think Turbine and MD users may find this interesting too:

I think I've found the perfect tip for the Orto and Copper. They are actually a special formulated foam tip made by the Japanese company who made those Xears IEM I've been raving about on another thread. They seem to give breathing room to the e-Q7 while controlling the bass and keeping it tight. For the Coppers, I did get the pfe and they provide balance in sound, but are bit restrictive. The orange foams (they are orange) seems to open the sound up in the middle and high register, yet keep the integrity of the bass. I did try the phonak on the Ortos, and it did enhance the vocals, but took away from the bass in my opinion. Will use the phonak with the Coppers when I want a more balanced sound. It is amazing how pieces of rubber or foam tips can significantly change the sound coming out IEMs.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #35 of 2,269
Eric-
Does that ebay seller have the tips available? I can pick up a pair. Do mediums correspond pretty directly to say Sony EX type mediums? If so, that's what I'd go with. Or perhaps I should just get a pair of those Xears, and use the tips that come with them.

Nice avatar btw....

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #36 of 2,269
The MD sound in a nutshell, or if you prefer, mini review. First, let me start by saying I don't consider the MD or even the Cppoer as a "true" reference set. Rather a means for enjoying the music. Many listeners, will always be chasing a certain sound. For the most part, what they seek is detail, soundstage, and the hardest part, a device that doesn`'t annoy them in the long term. Be it, the highs, mids, boomy bass, what have you.

Now that I've disclosed my take on what I believe most listeners seek. Here we go.
The Miles Davis set, Is rather unique, its rather engaging, yet not the best at any one thing. And for the majority, that's not a problem. The Sound signature is rather warm, but only a little. No part of the spectrum bothers you, if it does, throw away all your iem's.... it may not be a "superstar" but it is inoffensive. Like it or not, that's important.

I have a different perspective when it's just me and the music. At those times, I may want more transparency. More detail. The time when it's just you and the music, is finite. So, with music at the workplace, or working on other tasks, anything that takes just the smallest part of your attention. This is where many iem's will fail you. If I am stressed, a really involving, ultra transparent iem could get me going in the wrong direction. The Miles Davis set, more so than any other iem, I've heard, are enaging enough to enjoy good detail, yet forgiving enough to make every genre very enjoyable.

The mids are a strong point, the bass is deep and punchy. The treble has pretty good extension, and retains enough detail to keep you invloved. Just enough. Kepp those words "just enough" in your mind, where others fail, the MD, and to a large degree, the two MTP iem's give you just that "just enough" . The MD set is inrivaled in the realm of letting you enjoy the music without fatigue, for many, many hours, Treble? Soundstage? Just enough. The mids are very good.......not the best mids of any iem. Pretty close though. I can't honestly point ot anything that should offend a listener, it really does a fantastic job of letting you enjoy the Music. It is not the most sonically accurate iem, and that's not what most people want, most of the time. Indeed, even my jaded ears don't want that at all times.

The way the music is presented, the faults are very minor. And if I would compare to the other iem's that pick a different compromise. The MD's win, and it's not so easy to compare to all the others out there. However, pick what you will as your first criterea for the most important aspect for your personal preference. And unless the Very highly transparency of a rare few is it, the MD wins, I would prefer often the transparncy of another pair. However, even though I have a single pair I prefer, that does not offend me, I'm still using the MD's very often. It all comes back to just enough.

It can be much more than just enough with some music, it can be outstanding. Yet it is never less than just enough. Upper treble sparkle is not there, for those that are looking for it. However, the treble is very natural sounding. Even the two MTP models sound very similar, I think the MD takes the best route for the long haul and different situations. Piano, strings, voices are all just enough. Why am I taking this approach? Like it or not, what most think they want is almost always not the case. I own the orto EQ7...... which in my view trumps every iem I've ever heard.

But I can say without hesitation, that an overwhelming majority will find much more long term happiness, and long hours of enjoyment from the Miles Davis set. It is the single best "compromise" on the market. It doesn't do this or that? Doesn't matter, it is always just enough. Miss the soundstage of th ie8? The ie8 at times can be overdone, as can any other compromise. The MD set is also Close to the Gold, in most areas. I would easily pick the MD of the 3,
I am a very hard to please person. The MD's don't try like so many other iem's to stand out.

They instead grow on you day by day. If my impressions don't leave you with enough of an idea, you can pm me. I would deeply appreciate any concerns from current owners via pm. I have seen much controversy over the "MONSTER" name. I am not interseted in defending my view on them.

This little impression has been asked for repeatedly by a relative few. I offer my personal opinion for them. And, I hope it is helpful.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #37 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does this mean you're going for a set of the MD's? I'd love another member's comparison, because curiosity over the Copper's sound is killing me.

Yes, I'm going for the MDs if I can sell the IE8s...

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #38 of 2,269
Quote:

Eric-
Does that ebay seller have the tips available? I can pick up a pair. Do mediums correspond pretty directly to say Sony EX type mediums? If so, that's what I'd go with. Or perhaps I should just get a pair of those Xears, and use the tips that come with them.

Nice avatar btw....

I don't know if he sells them separately @ Chris. but the foams seem to be medium, not small or large.. I tend to be able to wear medium or large tips with ease.... Thanks regarding avatar....

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #39 of 2,269
Thanks for your impressions @ search. I appreciate them. You expressed how you honestly feel. Good enough for me.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #40 of 2,269
Quote:

Eric-

Nice avatar btw....

There is another Chinese earphones use the same tips, but I suddenly can't seem to recall its name..
Anyway, if you don't mind to buy it from ebay.de (they understand English). Here is a link
PLAYAZ® Engineering Foam In Ear Ohrpassstücke Neu bei eBay.de: Universal-MP3-Zubehör (endet 16.03.10 20:20:22 MEZ)

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #41 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen much controversy over the "MONSTER" name. I am not interseted in defending my view on them. This little impression has been asked for repeatedly by a relative few. I offer my personal opinion for them. And, I hope it is helpful.

Yes. It's very helpful. It's also refreshing to see that while you clearly like the Monsters - you're also quite willing to highlight any flaws (minor or not) that you think they may have. If only more people adopted this attitude instead of flying into tantrums and attacking people when someone comments negatively (on any phone) this place would be a whole lot more useful. Thanks again.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #43 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy soozieq, I hope that I don't fall into that group. How are you finding your Coppers?

Hey ipondy
smily_headphones1.gif

No, you don't fall into that group. You would most certainly know if I thought that! As for the Coppers, in my opinion, they're great for long listening periods, unlike the CK10 which were great for short bursts, but very tiring for anything much longer. The Coppers are a good all rounder. Having listened to them for almost 2 weeks now, I still can't find anything negative to say about them, other than (just to be nitpicky) I'd like a bigger soundstage, although it's nothing like as cramped as the UM3X.

If you think of the IE8s, and shrink the soundstage by 30%, strip away a couple of layers of warmth, add a slightly livelier treble and clearer midrange, plus a tighter bass, that's pretty much what I hear with the Coppers. The more I listen, the more I like them. By week two I've generally moved on from the novelty of a new sound and either continue to like it, or hate it with a vengeance. But I'm enjoying the Coppers more each day.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #44 of 2,269
The Search Never Ends - Great review!

Strangely, (keeping Head-Fier's in mind) with no real apparent weaknesses and no areas of pure excellence, I predict you will simply get bored with them after a couple months. But I guess that happens quite a bit around here.

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #45 of 2,269
They sound promising soozieq. I'm pleased that they're working out for you. I was listening to the IE8's today after spending time with full-sized phones, and was immediately struck by the bass presence, which was dominant and woofy, the lack of clarity and the warmth. I then switched to the TF10's and the sound signature sounded balanced in comparison.

I know that the e-Q7's gave you grief in the fit department but when you could make them work for you, how did they compare to the Coppers? Chalk and cheese?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back