Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Mar 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #16 of 2,269
They've been great with every genre of music I have. I listen to various types of rock, metal, rap, trance, dubstep, classical, and a tiny bit of jazz. I'm not really sure what their jazz tuning means, but Search says its bass is between the Gold and Coppers. The mids and treble aren't lacking to my ears, very rich and lots of sparkle.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by knubbe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've been great with every genre of music I have. I listen to various types of rock, metal, rap, trance, dubstep, classical, and a tiny bit of jazz. I'm not really sure what their jazz tuning means, but Search says its bass is between the Gold and Coppers. The mids and treble aren't lacking to my ears, very rich and lots of sparkle.

Knubbe you and Chris need to give a little bit fuller impressions on the Miles Davis. Search did in bits in piece (guess if I pull all his threads together into one, I would have a full review...lol). No one is really giving a decent impression of the MDs, or am I missing something? I'm still waiting...
popcorn.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 2,269
It seems there's surprisingly little discussion of the differences between the Turbine models in general. This brand is not attracting the verbose. (Along with the lifetime warranty, perhaps that should be counted as a major selling point.)

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Knubble you and Chris need to give a little bit fuller impressions on the Miles Davis. Search did in bits in piece (guess if I pull all his threads together into one, I would have a full review...lol). No one is really giving a decent impression of the MDs, or am I missing something? I'm still waiting...
popcorn.gif

Hey Eric-
I don't have a whole lot to say about them except that they're just 'right' sounding. The bass to my ears is only a hair shy of the IE8's, and it may just be that it's not as thick in the mid-bass area, yet it's more controlled and snappy. But they are a marked improvement over the IE8's throughout the rest of the range- mids are way more present, natural, meaty, and connected between the bass and treble. And speaking of treble, it's much more lively than the IE8's without being harsh or sibilant in the least. It's sparkly, extended, and has this tactile quality about it. Cymbals just hang in space, and you can imagine the drum stick ticking the metal, then the cymbal just resonating... you hear (almost feel) all that. Ultimate stage width is where they give up anything else to the IE8's, but it's not by much, and at the same time they have much better resolution and placement within the stage. They also present the stage in a more encompassing, 3D, enveloping way. Like a sphere, so to speak. The IE8's stage is more distant, and contained to an axis instead.

I'll say that the MD's are very revealing of an inferior source (namely my iPhone). For kicks I queued up Radiohead 'In Rainbows' with the exact same passages ready with it and my Sony X, and through the MD's the X just slaughters the iPhone in all aspects. Soundstage, bass, treble, refinement, natural sound, etc. I'd never heard this huge of a gap before, even when I was still smack in the honeymoon phase after picking up the X.

So, if these get even better with burn in, boy, I'll just be tickled. Really loving them so far. But maybe my Sony X just has extra nice synergy with them. Also, I'm finding Sony Hybrid tips to be superior to any of those included by Monster.

More to come later....

A couple pics:

DSC01380.jpg

DSC01379.jpg

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #21 of 2,269
The MD is also Monster's most expensive model, and given their here, I'm not that surprised these aren't that sought after. The MTPs and the original Turbines have been getting mostly good reviews though so I think it'll pick up soon.

Its best qualities are, I think, its speed, texture, and the naturalness of the sound. These were the aspects in which I felt it noticeably surpassed the IE8.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 2,269
Thanks @ Chris and Knubbe. That's a start...lol. Seems like the MDs are close to the Copper's sound based on your description @ Chris. If that's so, I will have to pick those up in the near future. Your description sounds exactly how I might describe the Coppers, although search said the Coppers has little bit more wider of a soundstage than the MDs. Glad you two are enjoying the MDs. I'm a little envious because I'm jazzhead (although I listen to almost everything except country and polka). Right now, these Japanese budgets have my attention, but I'm my way back to the Coppers real soon. Thanks again guys.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 2,269
Hey Chris, great to hear you like them. I'm almost a week past my one-week honeymoon period with the Coppers
happy_face1.gif
and so far I'm still really enjoying them. I keep waiting for something to crop up that annoys me about the sound, but so far, nothing. With the CK10, it took less than a week to know I wouldn't be able to tolerate the treble for long listening periods, but I can listen to the Coppers for hours and hours, no fatigue at all. Really nice
smile_phones.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #25 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Chris, great to hear you like them. I'm almost a week past my one-week honeymoon period with the Coppers
happy_face1.gif
and so far I'm still really enjoying them. I keep waiting for something to crop up that annoys me about the sound, but so far, nothing. With the CK10, it took less than a week to know I wouldn't be able to tolerate the treble for long listening periods, but I can listen to the Coppers for hours and hours, no fatigue at all. Really nice
smile_phones.gif

I agree with you @ soozieq. I tried to find fault with the Coppers too, but just can't. They just get better and better for me. I put them right next to the Ortos for my personal enjoyment. And I enjoy the IE8s less now. And although I have the IE8 second in best dynamic sound signature, I have a feeling the Playaz and/or the one of the Xears will replace it in position after a significant amount of time of burn in. All in all, the IE8 is still a great earphone, there are just some better ones that are inching their way up in my sphere.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #26 of 2,269
Wow, these things look really nice to me. A bit over-the-top, yes, but still very cool.

Has anyone actually listened to "Jazz" on them, both the traditional and more contemporary, who can post their opinion?

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #27 of 2,269
I don't have the MDs @ AudioDwebe, but if they are anywhere near the sound of the Coppers - which I've read they are - then jazz is excellent sounding on them. I own the Copper and 75 percent to 80 percent of my music collection is jazz (I'm a jazz music journalist by profession). The Copper has excellent instrument separation and depth of presentation (you hear the weight of the piano keys and hands brushing against skins of the congo drums, and the cymbals work is incredible as cn11 described). So based on cn11's impressions, sound almost exactly what I hear with the Coppers. The "Kind of Blue" album is heaven with the Coppers. I think any jazz aficionado will be very happy with these Monsters. Oh, Pat Metheny's "Are You Going With Me" is superb with the Coppers...

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #28 of 2,269
I'm giving Happy Apple 'Happy Apple Back on Top' a spin right now... will edit with impressions.

Edit- Ummmmm.... yeah, they really do work with jazz. Happy Apple is sort of a modern, acid, trippy jazz, with lots of percussion and sax. The MD's convey the space between artists, and the textures very very nicely.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #29 of 2,269
I did it Chris, I put the IE8s up for sell. I can't believe it, but I did. We'll see what happens. I'm just that happy with the Coppers now.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #30 of 2,269
So does this mean you're going for a set of the MD's? I'd love another member's comparison, because curiosity over the Copper's sound is killing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back