Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #901 of 2,269

Quote:
I've just bought a pair of these and I'm not convinced of their authenticity. I've seen some fakes before and these are much better. They do have proper supertips in the box in two little packs. The Kind Of Blue CD was inside the box and the colour was right not extra bright like the fakes. They also sound better than the fakes I've seen. However the box says there should be an Ultimate Headphone Test CD in the box and there isn't and I'm not sure if the gold bit of the housing is metal (I don't want to scratch in case I need to return) the gold part doesn't feel as cold to touch as the other part. There is no serial number on the headphones themselves or inside the hard case. Is there any other ways to spot fakes either in the contents, on the phones or the box?
Thanks

Left=real right=fake

I ripped this photo from a couple pages back. Experts need to review this though: The one on the left doesn't seem to have the MD strain relief. It's just molded black. Whassup with that?

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #902 of 2,269

Quote:
Quote:
I've just bought a pair of these and I'm not convinced of their authenticity. I've seen some fakes before and these are much better. They do have proper supertips in the box in two little packs. The Kind Of Blue CD was inside the box and the colour was right not extra bright like the fakes. They also sound better than the fakes I've seen. However the box says there should be an Ultimate Headphone Test CD in the box and there isn't and I'm not sure if the gold bit of the housing is metal (I don't want to scratch in case I need to return) the gold part doesn't feel as cold to touch as the other part. There is no serial number on the headphones themselves or inside the hard case. Is there any other ways to spot fakes either in the contents, on the phones or the box?
Thanks

Left=real right=fake

I ripped this photo from a couple pages back. Experts need to review this though: The one on the left doesn't seem to have the MD strain relief. It's just molded black. Whassup with that?

the one on the left isnt a Miles Davis phone, it looks like a regular Turbine.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #903 of 2,269

Quote:
Thanks

I bought my MD Tributes direct from Monster recently and the Test CD wasn't included with mine either, even though like you said it is mentioned in the literature. I was going to contact Monster about it but forgot (I think I found it online).

As far as the picture above goes, I can confirm that the screens on my eartips are convex like the left example, and the cables on mine are blue like the right example.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #905 of 2,269

Moment of truth...are mine real? (crappy phone pic's...sorry) I didn't like the supertips, so I'm using the Lg mushrooms

IMAG0054-2.jpg

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #906 of 2,269

those are real.

remember that they are dynamic drivers so theyll likely adjust after burn in.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #907 of 2,269
And I know of at least one other Head-fier that bought from J&R and didn't get the test disc.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #908 of 2,269

Quote:

those are real.

I can tell you that the nose filters look right. They came with Supertips and a healthy dose of other tips to taylor the fit. They sound flipping devastating compared to anything I've had so far. I can also say that I'm 99% sure that the tail end (gold portion) is plastic. I don't doubt that these are genuine...but as stated in many other places...if Monster ever did produce these entirely of metal...they changed mid-stroke and are now on to these.

My thoughts: If they were any heavier...they'd fall out of my ears. Maybe Monster got complaints from them being too weighty? Maybe they got greedy? Maybe they were never completely metal to begin with and somebody smoked a few too many? I dunno.

I like 'em though.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #909 of 2,269
The back on mine still gets magnetized, though to a lesser extent than the other portions. I think the black portion may be plastic, but the logo on the back is metal also the black portions on the sides may also not be metal I think. Mine sound great thought, just like an earlier batch I had a while back.. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #910 of 2,269
Maybe I'm just getting paranoid because of all the fakes around. They certainly sound great, when I listened to the actual fakes I was not impressed and they were poorly made in comparison with the ones I've got now.
Thanks for all the help.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #911 of 2,269

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks

Left=real right=fake

Yep. thats a turbine.  Thats the picture i took about a month ago comparing my genuine turbines to my fake MD tributes.  All Monster IEMs share the same stem, so its like comparing a real md tribute  to a fake one.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #912 of 2,269
I have to admit, the design of the shell of MDs is gorgeous despite of the ostentatious colors (but they're fitting for Miles). 

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #913 of 2,269

Quote:

Quote:

those are real.

I can tell you that the nose filters look right. They came with Supertips and a healthy dose of other tips to taylor the fit. They sound flipping devastating compared to anything I've had so far. I can also say that I'm 99% sure that the tail end (gold portion) is plastic. I don't doubt that these are genuine...but as stated in many other places...if Monster ever did produce these entirely of metal...they changed mid-stroke and are now on to these.

My thoughts: If they were any heavier...they'd fall out of my ears. Maybe Monster got complaints from them being too weighty? Maybe they got greedy? Maybe they were never completely metal to begin with and somebody smoked a few too many? I dunno.

I like 'em though.

Yep, MDs are pretty much up there among the Top Universal-Fits (with SM3, UM3X, W3, SE535, CK100 etc).

But i felt that i am ready to save up for a custom upgrade already.. Wonder would it be a sound-sig relevant upgrade to Futuresonics Mg6PRO, Hope the treble isn't spiky (like the denons), I do know they have superb realistic timbre and bass more so than even MDs, If treble is smooth and extensive all the way across the range, I am in! =O

Just a food for thought for myself though~ Don mind me and my thinking-out-loud
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #914 of 2,269
To bh2001 

this video helped me determine that mine were fake. Not the best quality video but the fakes that this dude has were spot on the same that i received.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJTT--pwxs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back