Monster Beats Solo ?
Oct 28, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 134
I was in a large electronics store browsing while my teenager played some sample video games on a 52-inch plasma screen, and I saw a demo station with Beats Studios there. So, I thought I'd try them out. Of course, the demo station has pre-set music snippets, none of which I'd heard before (rap, some R&B).

The bass is obviously huge, even rumbling, and not as boomy and oppressive as I thought it would be. Mids were a bit shy (could have been the EQ/mix on recording of the pre-set music), and the highs were crisper and cleaner than I thought they would be. So the overall SQ was pretty good, if you are a monster bass-head.

But the soundstage was atrocious. If you think Grado's have a flat soundstage, listen to these. Everything was just jam pressed up against your ears -- no sense of space or instrument separation -- just a flat wall of sound. It was very fatiguing and un-inspiring.

The price, tho, made everything worse than that -- guess they are hoping all rap/hip-hoppers will have profitable side-businesses that make $300+ reachable.
eek.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #19 of 134
Is this the same direction Bose took with the Triports first and then launching the On Ears? Quite frankly though I didnt think the Beats sounded horrible or anything. They are very colored and anything but refined, but they were quite crisp and clear and the bass while strong and powerful wasnt ridiculous like I expected them to be.

I'm sure the Solo's are overpriced as well, but they might not be garbage. Although in that price range, as other suggested, there are a lot better options, starting with the oh so cheap AD700's. But cant really tell without hearing them, so I'll reserve judgement.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by gr33nhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Beats Solo is like Monster Studio , is it still overpriced ?

We're not entirely sure about that. As no one here has owned or at least tried the Solo, there could be no clear-cut conclusion if the Monster Beats Solo is indeed a poor performer in its price range or not. I myself do not know how it sounds like.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulyen Curtz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are actually available at most bestbuys at the moment. I went ahead a bought a pair since i work there. Umm sound....close to the studios with less bass. Which for most people might actually be what they're looking for.

Closest thing i can compare them to would be my Future Sonic Atrios m5's. Great lower end, could use just a little more upper. Im still burning these in though, and the highs are definitely coming out as I play them, so we'll see. These started out extremely muddy.

Im preferring these over my senn HD238's if that speaks anything to the members here.

somehow I don't think they'll change much over time, but I could be wrong.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #25 of 134
Well, sadly I own them. They are the worst set I own, by far. They are flimsy, cheap parts, the bass is pure mud, and the over all sound quality is near identical to the Skullcandys. Best buy has a demo of the Beats and skullcandys set up in my city, I demoed them side by side and found the bass to be so overwhelming on the beats, you dont notice how CRAPPY the mids and highs are. The skullcandys right next to them sounded almost the same and they were only 70 bucks.

so if you want a similar piece of crap for less, get skullcandy. For $70 bucks you can do so much better. For 300 bucks you can find a set that will crush the beats 10:1 and last 10x as long. >.>

Look at it this way. Would you trust a talentless musician who cant sing and hardly rap in time? Says they write their own lyrics but really only wrote about 25% of their total songs in their career, cant play any instruments and has almost no background in audio even in the slightest? Because thats what Dre is... a talentless musician selling worthless headphones.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #26 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, sadly I own them. They are the worst set I own, by far. They are flimsy, cheap parts, the bass is pure mud, and the over all sound quality is near identical to the Skullcandys. Best buy has a demo of the Beats and skullcandys set up in my city, I demoed them side by side and found the bass to be so overwhelming on the beats, you dont notice how CRAPPY the mids and highs are. The skullcandys right next to them sounded almost the same and they were only 70 bucks.

so if you want a similar piece of crap for less, get skullcandy. For $70 bucks you can do so much better. For 300 bucks you can find a set that will crush the beats 10:1 and last 10x as long. >.>

Look at it this way. Would you trust a talentless musician who cant sing and hardly rap in time? Says they write their own lyrics but really only wrote about 25% of their total songs in their career, cant play any instruments and has almost no background in audio even in the slightest? Because thats what Dre is... a talentless musician selling worthless headphones.

Hehe, I'm not that extreme in opinion of Dre. But I do laugh at him. Says he isn't the typical rapper who outright steal other artists beats and music with their samples, as if sampling is an art form. He isn't the same because he has musicians play the piece again so he doesn't have to "sample." Sounds like the same thing to me, just stealing someone else's beats and music. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #27 of 134
As far as I know the Beats are in fact overpriced. I know because my employ price for them was only 120$ meaning 180$ mark-up. So now that I have them I feel the 300$ asking price is way to much.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #28 of 134
Skullcandys are not as overpriced as the Beats...and the skullcandys are STILL OVERPRICED! So you are REALLY getting a piece of crap in the Beats. SERIOUSLY.

In terms of overpricing and screwing those people who buy IN ORDER:

Monster
Bose
SKullcandy

k bai

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #29 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulyen Curtz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are actually available at most bestbuys at the moment. I went ahead a bought a pair since i work there. Umm sound....close to the studios with less bass. Which for most people might actually be what they're looking for.
Closest thing i can compare them to would be my Future Sonic Atrios m5's. Great lower end, could use just a little more upper. Im still burning these in though, and the highs are definitely coming out as I play them, so we'll see. These started out extremely muddy.
Im preferring these over my senn HD238's if that speaks anything to the members here.

Monster Studio and Beats solo got almost the same sound ? How's Beats Solo's bass ?

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #30 of 134
Bose has been doing this for so long that they can get away with little mark-up on their headphone. Like the new quiet comfort 15 has olny a 5$ mark-up and the same for the rest of their line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back