Monster Beats Solo ?
Oct 30, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #31 of 134
I went to apple store yesterday, and tried them along with Bose headphones they had in the store.
They are definitely not worth the price.
They sounded a bit better when I tried them in Bestbuy, but when I tried them in the apple store with ipods, they sounded horrible.
I couldn't believe they are asking $350 for these headphones.
I also tried Bose QC3, and they also sounded horrible.
I compared them with my KSC75 I brought, and couldn't be happier knowing that I only paid $13 for them.
I wouldn't even pay $10 for Beats or QC3.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #32 of 134
$350? Are you thinking of the Studio Beats? The Solo's clock in at $200 USD, I believe. In any case, it's good to see some opinions, even if some are a bit harsh, being posted up on the Solo's.

Edit: And don't try to be a smart-mouth. You'd pay $10 for Beats or QC3's, like most people would (if only for the resale value...)

Just admit it
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #33 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by RX7PHILE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to apple store yesterday, and tried them along with Bose headphones they had in the store.
They are definitely not worth the price.
They sounded a bit better when I tried them in Bestbuy, but when I tried them in the apple store with ipods, they sounded horrible.
I couldn't believe they are asking $350 for these headphones.
I also tried Bose QC3, and they also sounded horrible.
I compared them with my KSC75 I brought, and couldn't be happier knowing that I only paid $13 for them.
I wouldn't even pay $10 for Beats or QC3.

Now you're seeing the light. Okay, knowing that you still haven't made a purchase, what is your next step? You're happy with your KSC75, but a nice upgrade is possible.
dt880smile.png

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #35 of 134
I have HD580 at home, and am very happy with them, too.
I paid $150 for them about a year ago when a mint condition pair was available at amazon.com.

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #37 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi. Beats headphones are not considered hi-fi level and gets no respect around head-fi.

What I say is give them an audition and see if you like it. The Beats Studio is actually fairly good, and not bassy as people make them out to be. It may be a bit overpriced, but it does look good when you go to a Starbucks or travelling around.

Beats no hi-fi level ? My set of Beats Tour are MUCH better than my set of UE superfi 5 and my (sold) rotten bad sounding with no bass set of Q-Jays
So i think that the Beats Solo can be a fine set of cans.
But............Grado Rules
o2smile.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #38 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$350? Are you thinking of the Studio Beats? The Solo's clock in at $200 USD, I believe. In any case, it's good to see some opinions, even if some are a bit harsh, being posted up on the Solo's.

Edit: And don't try to be a smart-mouth. You'd pay $10 for Beats or QC3's, like most people would (if only for the resale value...)

Just admit it
tongue.gif

I would. And put them on eBay for 100% mark-up!

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #39 of 134
The QC15 sound much better than any of Bose's prior NC offerings.

That said, I don't like the build on these headphones.. they just feel like they will start cracking that pretty shiny finish in about a year. The other beats offer almost no noise cancelling.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #40 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would. And put them on eBay for 100% mark-up!

QFT

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #42 of 134
I went to the apple store again to try the Beats and QC3, thinking that $300+ headphones can't be that bad. The last impression I had with these headphones was like I was listening to the music through my cellphone speakers. So I went there again and tried them with my sansa c240.
Now, to my surprise, beats sounded not that bad. In fact they sounded quite descent. So what's going on.
I noticed they are not directly connected to the ipod because the headphone jack that was pluged into the ipod was white and the headphone cable was black. Are they connected to some kind of headphone amp? Could this be the reason they sounded different the last time? Or the battery was low?
They had two beats in the store and each sounded a little different.

The bose QC3 sounded still horrible just like the last time. They had two of them in the store, and both of them sounded just as bad. QC15 were a little better though.

So based on today's observation, I would probably have to take back the $10 comment about the Beats. They were pretty good, not $300 good, but maybe $100+ good this time.
But the $10 comment about the bose QC3 still stands.
I still have some doubt that they can't be that bad though.
It could be the battery being low, or the EQ settings if there was some kind of headphone amp hidden under the desk. Maybe I'll visit the store again next time to find out.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #43 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by RX7PHILE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the apple store again to try the Beats and QC3, thinking that $300+ headphones can't be that bad. The last impression I had with these headphones was like I was listening to the music through my cellphone speakers. So I went there again and tried them with my sansa c240.
Now, to my surprise, beats sounded not that bad. In fact they sounded quite descent. So what's going on.
I noticed they are not directly connected to the ipod because the headphone jack that was pluged into the ipod was white and the headphone cable was black. Are they connected to some kind of headphone amp? Could this be the reason they sounded different the last time? Or the battery was low?
They had two beats in the store and each sounded a little different.

The bose QC3 sounded still horrible just like the last time. They had two of them in the store, and both of them sounded just as bad. QC15 were a little better though.

So based on today's observation, I would probably have to take back the $10 comment about the Beats. They were pretty good, not $300 good, but maybe $100+ good this time.
But the $10 comment about the bose QC3 still stands.
I still have some doubt that they can't be that bad though.
It could be the battery being low, or the EQ settings if there was some kind of headphone amp hidden under the desk. Maybe I'll visit the store again next time to find out.

But the Beats Solo is $199,if Beats Solo sound same to Monster Studio,is it worth that money?That's my question.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #44 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just admit it
tongue.gif

Haha, I know I'd definitely buy like 100 of em just to resale on ebay to fund for better phones/amps/dacs/etc. And when you guys say 100% markup, you mean 2000% right?
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr33nhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the Beats Solo is $199,if Beats Solo sound same to Monster Studio,is it worth that money?That's my question.

Seems like you're trying to convince yourself that the Beats Solo are worth it. Why don't you just go try them out yourself at a Best Buy or Apple store? Just keep in mind that more often than not, they are heavily EQ'ed at the stations in these places, so might not sound the same as through your own source. Or you can just take the plunge, and if you don't like em, return em.

IMO, though, I would just look elsewhere. There are plenty of phones of different varieties around the $200 price range that sounds way better and probably would fit your needs.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #45 of 134
To OP's question, I don't know. If it's between QC3 and Beats (studio), I would choose Beats, but if I had to choose between my HD580 and Beats, it would definitely be HD580.
The best advice I can give you is that you have to go to one of those stores and find it out yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back