Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #7,351 of 8,051
I had he 400I and now m1060. He 400i wold be a great headphones if it had some sub bass. Its simply not going down below 40hz. I don't know how they are doing it with a ~80mm driver. Its balanced and easy to listen by the way. The m1060 is way better. It has spacious and detailed sound with beautifull bass, but the mid highs are a little bit unbalanced. So it needs some mod to tune it to yourself. If you dont like some modding then choose the he 400i.

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #7,352 of 8,051
Hi All,
I have the m1060 v2 for about 2 weeks. I really like it, but in factory state the mid-highs were too much for me. I have tried the paper towel mod, but it became too muffled. (I kept the factory grill and foam) I have started to play around with it and I found that if the paper towel round is smaller then it gets more airy and less muffled. I started to cut the paper towel round piece smaller and smaller. Now the sweet spot is around 45mm diameter round. Right behind the grill to the center. Now the bass is impactfull the highs are not harsh and the highs are ok as well. So Im happy with it. I will try as well the printed fazzors and grill.
One question: Has someone experienced wood cracking with the version 2?

Installing a 3D printed grill helps with the harsh mids and makes the highs more airy. I had the paper towel mod installed on mine but after the grills I removed them because it wasn't needed anymore. As far as I can tell, the 3D printed grill does only good things to the sound. I don't know of a single person who has gone back to the stock grills after getting a 3D printed set.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #7,353 of 8,051
Hi All,
I have the m1060 v2 for about 2 weeks. I really like it, but in factory state the mid-highs were too much for me. I have tried the paper towel mod, but it became too muffled. (I kept the factory grill and foam) I have started to play around with it and I found that if the paper towel round is smaller then it gets more airy and less muffled. I started to cut the paper towel round piece smaller and smaller. Now the sweet spot is around 45mm diameter round. Right behind the grill to the center. Now the bass is impactfull the highs are not harsh and the highs are ok as well. So Im happy with it. I will try as well the printed fazzors and grill.
One question: Has someone experienced wood cracking with the version 2?

Yes I had my V2s crack. I filled it with wood filler. It doesn't affect the sound at all.

I have been really happy with the fazzors, grill, and fuzzor mod. When I took the foam out I loved the extra touch of soundstage and imaging I got, but the highs (especially the mid-highs) became just a bit too sharp for me. The fuzzor mod did the most to help this. The fazzors also helped with adding another touch of soundstage and imaging, but didn't really do anything for me in regards to the sharpness in the highs.

I applied the fuzzors to the earpad side fazzors. My M1060s are now nigh unto perfect for me.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #7,354 of 8,051
HE400i or 1060?

My collection in my sig if curious what I like for sound.

M1060s all the way. I found that the M1060s just had more of everything that the 400i had with the addition of better bass extension and bass impact. They were more enjoyable as well as more analytical, maybe not necessarily due to neutrality but for being fairly neutral and greater detail retrieval. If I remember correctly, the 400i was a little bit more neutral.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #7,356 of 8,051
HE400i or 1060?

My collection in my sig if curious what I like for sound.
Like the others say you will probably need to mod them so if you are not going to do any mods then I'd say pass on the 1060. While I haven't heard a modded pair the two stock ones that I've heard were quite boring and what I'd call "veiled" like a HD650 that is paired with a warmish amp. While I love my HE400i its an older one with SMC jacks, has the back plate, and is modded with sorbothane and a grill mod so I can't suggest it either since I don't know what the current HE400i sounds like but you might want to check the HE4XX since its cheaper than either the HE400i and M1060 and some think it quite a bargain like the HD58X and other MassDrop gear.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #7,358 of 8,051
Printed parts are on the way now. Should I handle the wood frame inside with some wood oil?
When I discovered a crack on one of the rings I used butcher block oil on the part exposed by removing the grill and haven't developed any cracks on the other ring.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #7,359 of 8,051
So how does the 5y warranty work, if at all please? I keep reading about customers complaining that support plays dead huh?

Do they honor it only for purchases made on their own website? Not even their amazon stores? Is it only for the original buyer?

Thanks!
400i wold be a great headphones if it had some sub bass.
The lack of bass on 400i is appalling, even worse on the 2.5mm version that lacks the outer metal grill of the driver.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #7,361 of 8,051
Anyone tried this?
I can't describe very well but the result like some kind of DSP more then tuning. And I like it very much!
Everything becomes fast, dynamic with layer. Especially on some upbeat music like Lose Yourself To Dance by Daft Punk.
IMG_20181006_071019.jpg

Funny that I also try this but nothing special like above.
IMG_20181006_072847.jpg

I try this without foam and grill.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #7,363 of 8,051
My solution is about the same. Have you tried the inner spot only? Try to use only the smaller ring fixed on the internal side of the grill. It keeps the huge space of music and the bass extension. Its like It had a slight V character.
I love to try a smaller ring. Thanks for suggestion! (I tried rectanglar ring but don't like)
I believe most of us tried circle in different size. But sounds different between circle and ring. Especially different layers ring as my 1st pic.

I guess the effect because the paper ring reflect outside rim of planar film, which handle different frequency?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back