Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #7,036 of 8,051
Certain Chinese audio equipment manufacturers take a lot of pride in what the do like Audio GD. The Daart actually has gold on the front for shielding and it's supposedly better than the schiit stack for audio.

Just because bits Chinese doesn't always mean it's bad.
Your right, not all headphones brands are bad there are some Chinese companies like Audio GD that has one of the best QC testing out there.
But the concern of many people is that products(audio or other) have less regulations which leads to more rubbish products or even dangerous products, example: Dog food.
Another thing that people dislike(including me) is that China uses modern day slaves to build there products.
But I don't want this to be a rant on China so what i'm saying is,
I try to only buy from good companies in China that uses people who enjoy what that do.(Not people who don't have a choice in the matter) and make safe and reliable products.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #7,037 of 8,051
Also having an OEM/ODM is extremely common in the tech industry. Not really shady at all.

Schiit's cheaper dacs are known to have issues with USB. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't perform as expected. They are really susceptible to USB quality. My Fulla 2 produces a quiet but high pitch tone from the line out even without the power lines connected to the computer. With regular USB plugged into my desktop, it gets even louder. However, when plugged into my Dell XPS 13, all is quiet.
Yea, that doesn't sound like Schiit's problem if it works just fine on your Dell XPS 13.
That is actually a problem on many dac/amps have because of how electricity works.
While yes some dac/amps are better to remove that noise your hearing in the end its almost always not the dac/amp doing that/(At least from my knowledge).
There are ways you can cut down on that noise for example Schiit sells a device which can remove it here:
http://www.schiit.com/products/wyrd
And other things that can help is plugging it into a usb 2.0 instead of 3.0, using a powered usb hub and there are other factors which effect this like how the motherboard is built.
Anyway I hope you find a fix :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #7,038 of 8,051
Yea, that doesn't sound like Schiit's problem if it works just fine on your Dell XPS 13.
That is actually a problem on many dac/amps have because of how electricity works.
While yes some dac/amps are better to remove that noise your hearing in the end its almost always not the dac/amp doing that/(At least from my knowledge).
There are ways you can cut down on that noise for example Schiit sells a device which can remove it here:
http://www.schiit.com/products/wyrd
And other things that can help is plugging it into a usb 2.0 instead of 3.0, using a powered usb hub and there are other factors which effect this like how the motherboard is built.
Anyway I hope you find a fix :)

I have a few Chinese DAC's with no noise at all and that's with a $65 and $190 DAC.

It also doesn't matter if it's made in America or China it can still be defective and that can be down to a fault on the PCB manufacturing side of things. It happens in America too but I know decent US PCB lines usually do have great QC in place.

I think this could be it's own thread. Were you looking for a DAC for a Monolith?

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #7,039 of 8,051
I have a few Chinese DAC's with no noise at all and that's with a $65 and $190 DAC.

It also doesn't matter if it's made in America or China it can still be defective and that can be down to a fault on the PCB manufacturing side of things. It happens in America too but I know decent US PCB lines usually do have great QC in place.

I think this could be it's own thread. Were you looking for a DAC for a Monolith?
I'm I looking for a dac for my m1060? Yes, i'm looking for a dac and amp and as of the moment have my eyes set on the Schiit stack.

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #7,040 of 8,051
I'm I looking for a dac for my m1060? Yes, i'm looking for a dac and amp and as of the moment have my eyes set on the Schiit stack.

Can't go wrong with a stack of schiit, how much is it for the combo?

I love my m1060c and the planars do like power.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #7,042 of 8,051

That's also not a problem on many dacs with good USB filtering. The Magni 3 is great, but the Modi 2 leaves a bit to be desired. And yes, I've tried powered hubs which haven't solved the issue. Spending money on a wyrd to patch up the mediocre input on the Modi 2 means you've pretty much got a $200 dac, and at that price you can find a lot of other options. There are better DAC options imo, but if you want a matching stack then go ahead since it's your money.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #7,043 of 8,051
Also having an OEM/ODM is extremely common in the tech industry. Not really shady at all.

Schiit's cheaper dacs are known to have issues with USB. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't perform as expected. They are really susceptible to USB quality. My Fulla 2 produces a quiet but high pitch tone from the line out even without the power lines connected to the computer. With regular USB plugged into my desktop, it gets even louder. However, when plugged into my Dell XPS 13, all is quiet.

Not sure if you are on a PC, but many many USB devices are having issues since Windows 10 and the way it handles power management. I have read issues with FiiO e10k, Audioquest Dragonfly Red/Black and others. Using a powered USB hub with a DAC having these issues solves it since the hub's power is not controlled by Windows. These issues are also in later versions of OSX.

One of the reasons I got the Modi 2 Uber was for the coax, in case USB becomes a hassle.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #7,045 of 8,051
Superlux is allowed to sell AKG/Beyer/AT clones so why not, hopefully drivers won't be garage-made like you-know-who
wink_face.gif

10cm drivers, do want X_X

Is Superlux making a planar?

I'll buy the M560. I need something better than my M50x.

Is the M560 really going to be better than the cheaper TXRP MK3 variants though? Those look like on-ears. I am interested in how they perform though (and the m1060 too if it really does become a giant killer).

Buy an MK2 or MK3 Argon if you can, You will just end up wanting an m1060 or m1060c. My only gripe with the monoprice m560 is lack of pad rolling options and pad size. The m1060 has nice pads but they are still glued.

I have the m1060c and it's a technically impressive headphone with tuning potential. I hate the headband though and I think Modhouse who makes the argon is having a go at developing a custom leather headband for it.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #7,046 of 8,051
Guys I am trying to decide between HD6xx and M1060. The music I listen to is rarely bass heavy, I listen to radiohead, queen, melua, scorpions etc. What would you recommend?
HD6XX is best for vocal heavy/acoustic music with excellent detail in the mids. However I feel it lacks a treble emphasis which is nice in rock music for cymbals. It is there and detailed but the "Sennheiser veil" kind of hushes it a bit.

M1060 doesn't have that level of detail in vocals but it's solid and very linear throughout.

I'd take the M1060 just slightly for the added soundstage.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #7,047 of 8,051
Is Superlux making a planar?

Buy an MK2 or MK3 Argon if you can, You will just end up wanting an m1060 or m1060c. My only gripe with the monoprice m560 is lack of pad rolling options and pad size. The m1060 has nice pads but they are still glued.

I have the m1060c and it's a technically impressive headphone with tuning potential. I hate the headband though and I think Modhouse who makes the argon is having a go at developing a custom leather headband for it.

I have the m560, the m565, and the m1060c and I will say that the m565 with the shures1540 earpads transforms them into steroids! My favorite headphones paired with the Emotiva A100 and the Sony Walkman ZX2. And the Schiit Loki EQ. Which rarely need using the m565.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #7,048 of 8,051
HD6XX is best for vocal heavy/acoustic music with excellent detail in the mids. However I feel it lacks a treble emphasis which is nice for rock music for cymbals. It is there and detailed but the "Sennheiser veil" kind of hushes it a bit.

M1060 doesn't have level of detail in vocals but it's solid and very linear throughout.

I'd take the M1060 just slightly for the added soundstage.
Thanks! I wanted to get M1060s but things like ringing, having to mod it (I mean new pads do not seem to be cheap), low quality build etc keep me thinking...

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #7,049 of 8,051
Thanks! I wanted to get M1060s but things like ringing, having to mod it (I mean new pads do not seem to be cheap), low quality build etc keep me thinking...

Well, what headphones do you have experience with? Do you have a preference as far a sound signature goes?

The M1060 is more polarizing sound-wise; some hear harsh upper mids (although it seems to be a less common issue with the latest revisions than it used to be), and some love the stock earpads. The only universally praised mod is swapping out the grills. But that's also like a $8 mod, so that's good. Also, Monoprice has a great return policy if you don't like them.

The HD6XX seem to be a more safe option, especially if you don't need sub bass. However, it's far more amp dependent than the M1060. I personally don't hear the "Sennheiser veil" that bother some but I also find the HD6XX to be rather boring. They don't get the head time from me that their fame would suggest. Unfortunately, Massdrop doesn't allow returns, so if you don't like them you either have to sell them or you are stuck with them.

But then there is the price difference. From what I have seen the M1060C is superior in a lot of ways to the M1060, even if you use them open. However, those will set you back $330 + plus a 3D printed grill if you want to use them open + earpads if you want them. That's about $400 at that point which is half of a HD6XX. But the M1060 has the technology of a $600-$800 headphone in it so it makes sense that it's more expensive.

So bottom line is that both have their pros and cons but hopefully this info helps you decided which tradeoff/risk is more acceptable to you, because no one can tell you which is going to sound better to your ears. Good luck! :o2smile:

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #7,050 of 8,051
Major sound quality issues can be resolved by replacing the grill and doing the fuzzor mod in the rear which should run most people less than $20.

I would also theorize that gluing felt on the inside of the stock grill and cutting out the openings would do a lot to help as well if getting 3d printed grills isn't an option. That would be a mod that's less than $1.

Personally I love the stock pads, very cushy, doesn't seem to create much SQ issues. I'm awaiting delivery of the ZMF Universe suedes to see if there's any improvement.

Build is average. I haven't had anything break like many people reported for the V1. Just keep in mind they are much heavier than most dynamic headphones due to a mostly metal build.

I wish Monoprice would just release a V3 and sell grills separately that aren't so reflective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back