Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #7,021 of 8,051
So, I would like to get another cable for my M1060...mainly for looks as I have no issue with the stock one. I like the look of the Monoprice braided one, but it is a foot shorter than the stock one which is a perfect length. I don't want to spend a carp load of money as I don't believe in cable magic.

Any HD700 cable will work off amazon.

So are these Micca G2's just some rebranded Chinese amps? is the Micca Outlet on Ebay dumping customer returns? All looks kinda sketchy to me.

Yea and they also made a DAC the exact same as M-Audio's Super DAC which was also black and not silver.

Thanks guys for helping me figure out that the Micca g2 isn't right for me, I just can't trust a company who does shady stuff like this and the other things I mentioned.
I guess I should buy a Schiit stack(Magni 3 and Modi 2) as they seem to be a very trustworthy company and are upfront about there products and not trying to sell me snake oil.
Plus they are made in America so thats one less things to be concerned about :)
Most of the problems that I found people have about the Schiit stack in not the products fault but rather something they have, example the Mixamp and Magni 3 thread I linked to from reddit.
Thanks @omegaorgun for linking those amp/dacs for me but they all look kind of meh expect for the Fx Dac-x7 which might be decent but looks overpriced for what it is.
Also Is it better value to buy a dac/amp or a separate dac and separate amp?
If anyone has ideas as what I should buy just let me know :)

I think Syba makes the unit but Micca might ask them to change the chips, high gain switch and color etc. I had the Syba version and it was OK, a little too sharp with plenty of power but on certain cans it would cut out at very high volume.

If you are going into schiit territory there is always the Daart Canary or Aune but I would get that on Massdrop as it goes for $199 there I think.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #7,022 of 8,051
A lot of people find the Topping D3 to be a great value for a dedicated DAC. I believe with my Emotiva I am good to go on amps, so I have thought about getting one of those, but it's no hurry for me.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #7,023 of 8,051
A lot of people find the Topping D3 to be a great value for a dedicated DAC. I believe with my Emotiva I am good to go on amps, so I have thought about getting one of those, but it's no hurry for me.

Looks similar to the $65 DAC-X6 I have, it has more power than many other DAC's and with a simple opamp roll it sounds much better. The topping also looks like it has a 15v input which is interesting as the DAC-X6 has 12v and most cheaper DAc's run on 5v.

Saying that when you do go into the more expensive $200 territory you do start to hear the difference.I ordered the xduoo ta-01 off massdrop and will have it next week, can't wait to tube roll. :L3000:

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #7,025 of 8,051
Sure. I am of the opinion that there is no mysticism about price - if a dac/amp/etc. conforms to a spec and outputs proper results, and uses a high quality chipset, then it is working as intended and it won't get much better. Unless of course you want it to perform differently than perfect (tubes, etc.) in which case more power to you.

This is not to say that I don't like those things - if a tube sounds better, awesome! I'm just saying that if a solid state dac is decoding with minimal jitter/compression/lag/etc. then you shouldn't really expect much better spending more money. Topping amps/dacs are incredible value because they perform well for the money. If you can't pick up the different on a scope, there probably isn't much left on the floor performance wise.

But that's just my opinion. And I don't necessarily practice what I preach, either. My home theater has thousands of watts worth of amps, when a competent high end receiver would probably work just fine - and yet, I sprung for the pre/pro and amps. And oh yeah - my speakers are 94db efficient. Go figure, right?

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #7,026 of 8,051
Sure. I am of the opinion that there is no mysticism about price - if a dac/amp/etc. conforms to a spec and outputs proper results, and uses a high quality chipset, then it is working as intended and it won't get much better. Unless of course you want it to perform differently than perfect (tubes, etc.) in which case more power to you.

This is not to say that I don't like those things - if a tube sounds better, awesome! I'm just saying that if a solid state dac is decoding with minimal jitter/compression/lag/etc. then you shouldn't really expect much better spending more money. Topping amps/dacs are incredible value because they perform well for the money. If you can't pick up the different on a scope, there probably isn't much left on the floor performance wise.

But that's just my opinion. And I don't necessarily practice what I preach, either. My home theater has thousands of watts worth of amps, when a competent high end receiver would probably work just fine - and yet, I sprung for the pre/pro and amps. And oh yeah - my speakers are 94db efficient. Go figure, right?
Whatever floats your boat :) I just think that designing a dac/amp is very complex task with all the internal parts and all and that a company like Schiit which is highly praised and designed in Germany and made in America is probably a better product then a dac/amp designed and made in China but hey everyone's different :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #7,027 of 8,051
Whatever floats your boat :) I just think that designing a dac/amp is very complex task with all the internal parts and all and that a company like Schiit which is highly praised and designed in Germany and made in America is probably a better product then a dac/amp designed and made in China but hey everyone's different :)

Schiit is 100% American. Jason Stoddard was one of the owners/designers of Sumo Amps back in the 80's. Sumo was across the street from my office in Chatsworth, CA. I still own a Sumo Polaris.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #7,029 of 8,051
Schiit is 100% American. Jason Stoddard was one of the owners/designers of Sumo Amps back in the 80's. Sumo was across the street from my office in Chatsworth, CA. I still own a Sumo Polaris.
Huh, well thats deceiving because on the front of there website it say's "Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah. It's a proud German name, host to a long line of audio engineers who slaved away in crumbling Teutonic fortresses as lightning lashed the dark lands outside, working to perfect the best amplification devices in the world..."

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #7,030 of 8,051
Huh, well thats deceiving because on the front of there website it say's "Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah. It's a proud German name, host to a long line of audio engineers who slaved away in crumbling Teutonic fortresses as lightning lashed the dark lands outside, working to perfect the best amplification devices in the world..."
Ummm ... yeah. They actually have a sense of humour ...

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #7,032 of 8,051
Yea it did seem a bit strange for a German to have humour lol.

Read more all around Schiit's website. Even (or especially) the Owner's Manuals. They poke fun at themselves pretty much non-stop.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #7,033 of 8,051
Read more all around Schiit's website. Even (or especially) the Owner's Manuals. They poke fun at themselves pretty much non-stop.
Yea I read the owner's manual of the Magni 3 and I thought this was funny " 1 Connect your source to the Magni’s “IN” RCA jacks with high-quality RCA cables. Or you can use crappy cables (but why?) ".

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #7,034 of 8,051
Yea I read the owner's manual of the Magni 3 and I thought this was funny " 1 Connect your source to the Magni’s “IN” RCA jacks with high-quality RCA cables. Or you can use crappy cables (but why?) ".

Certain Chinese audio equipment manufacturers take a lot of pride in what the do like Audio GD. The Daart actually has gold on the front for shielding and it's supposedly better than the schiit stack for audio.

Just because bits Chinese doesn't always mean it's bad.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #7,035 of 8,051
Also having an OEM/ODM is extremely common in the tech industry. Not really shady at all.

Schiit's cheaper dacs are known to have issues with USB. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't perform as expected. They are really susceptible to USB quality. My Fulla 2 produces a quiet but high pitch tone from the line out even without the power lines connected to the computer. With regular USB plugged into my desktop, it gets even louder. However, when plugged into my Dell XPS 13, all is quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back