Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7,066 of 8,051
Thanks guys but I have chosen HD6XX over M1060 because I am a newbie and with HD6XX I just won't be disappointed, I think it is a safer bet since HD650s have been around for so long, as for the M1060s I might be getting them or something else Monoprice offers in the future so HD6XX definitely is not my endgame :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #7,067 of 8,051
Yeah it's quite the decision imo. Depends if you want a laid-back sound or a more energetic sound. I prefer the M1060Cs, but if my ears are tired/fatigued I end up reaching for the HD 6XXs.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #7,068 of 8,051
You guys, there are many more headphones than M1060 / HD6XX. For starters listen to Sennheiser HD540 gold edition, 600 ohm. It outperforms HD650/600 in every single way - sound is more detailed, tighter, brighter, but not fatiguing as HD800 for example.

I rarely listen to my M1060 lately since I noticed my ears start ringing after some time. This might be due to the recessed mids - in order to have decent details, you have to crank volume up and you end up listening at higher level than it is safe. Also high frequencies are quite hot and I think they are causing my situation. I never face this problem with any dynamic headphones or IEMs. This might be caused by the way thinner acoustic material on my new pads compared to the original, will have to revert and check if problem persists.

Anyhow after more than half of year of using and modding I'm not so impressed with these headphones since I cannot find what music they sounds best with. M1060 are way too dark for any classical/female vocal/acoustic music, I have another headphones for that. I was hoping that metal music will sound fast and heavy with these, but after one track they become fatiguing. The only music these sound impressive is rap. Bass is very big and shaking, but I do not like this music. So :) I had a chance to listen to hifiman 560, they are brighter than M1060 and I think after a longer listening period they would become even more fatiguing. Even Hifiman edition X had this specific high frequency tone added to the music. Maybe planars are not for me.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #7,069 of 8,051
You guys, there are many more headphones than M1060 / HD6XX. For starters listen to Sennheiser HD540 gold edition, 600 ohm. It outperforms HD650/600 in every single way - sound is more detailed, tighter, brighter, but not fatiguing as HD800 for example.

I rarely listen to my M1060 lately since I noticed my ears start ringing after some time. This might be due to the recessed mids - in order to have decent details, you have to crank volume up and you end up listening at higher level than it is safe. Also high frequencies are quite hot and I think they are causing my situation. I never face this problem with any dynamic headphones or IEMs. This might be caused by the way thinner acoustic material on my new pads compared to the original, will have to revert and check if problem persists.

Anyhow after more than half of year of using and modding I'm not so impressed with these headphones since I cannot find what music they sounds best with. M1060 are way too dark for any classical/female vocal/acoustic music, I have another headphones for that. I was hoping that metal music will sound fast and heavy with these, but after one track they become fatiguing. The only music these sound impressive is rap. Bass is very big and shaking, but I do not like this music. So :) I had a chance to listen to hifiman 560, they are brighter than M1060 and I think after a longer listening period they would become even more fatiguing. Even Hifiman edition X had this specific high frequency tone added to the music. Maybe planars are not for me.

I would give the m565 and swap out the earpafs for the shure1540 pars. They turn into steroids and the high frequencies simply don't offend even at high volume level. It's full of detail and the bass, you can make it rattle or simply leave the bass stock and you will be just fine. I have them matched with my Emotiva A100 and my Sony Walkman ZX2. Sounds fantastic to say the least. The m565 with a 66mm driver provides a very full foot print of music all around. I have the m560, the m565 and the 1060c and the m565 have become my go to HP.

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #7,070 of 8,051
ZReviews for the M1060C with a quick glance at the M565C is up.

tl;dw he approves of the M1060C, not so much M565C.

May 1, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #7,071 of 8,051
any one notice their 1060s have a peak around 2k, I realized that the forward mids didnt let me get the volume up in the low end. maybe I prefer are dark sound but for example in hip hop tracks the snares would start bothering me but when I eq it out its a much more pleasant sound with huge meaty bass while mids not being washed out. In rock tracks it was less noticeable but as you get the volume up you notice the glare

May 1, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #7,072 of 8,051
any one notice their 1060s have a peak around 2k, I realized that the forward mids didnt let me get the volume up in the low end. maybe I prefer are dark sound but for example in hip hop tracks the snares would start bothering me but when I eq it out its a much more pleasant sound with huge meaty bass while mids not being washed out. In rock tracks it was less noticeable but as you get the volume up you notice the glare

I noticed this at first, but after 100 hours on them, ether they have broken in, or I got used to it. I will say even going back and fourth to other headphones, the M1060's did seem to break in.

May 1, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #7,074 of 8,051
Seems like I have found the best remedy to cure the problem of my big head vs M1060. They look good and are super comfortable. Read on!
*Warning*: Not plug-and-play, semi non-reversible mod.

IMG_20170611_155220_zpsawdmoxoy.jpg

http://c.b1yt.com/h.RD9ZYA?cv=UX27ZD8VvWN&sm=7c2081
I ordered this head band through this Taobao link. Seller communicates in Chinese and only ships within China. I got a freight forwarder in order to ship to me (Malaysia).

Price for the head band: 219RMB/33USD
Make sure you request the seller to add on a clip-on thicker padding (as photo) to ensure comfort for 40RMB/6USD
Shipping: YMMV

Installation tutorial:
Good news is - It is not required to remove the drivers, just recycle the original yolks but they need to be modded. The screw holes need to be widen to accommodate the wider third party screws. I used a motorized trimmer which was available for me.

IMG_20170611_154231_zpsneob75vt.jpg

Next, you need to trim and shorten the connecting screw down to 8mm of thread in order for the screw not hitting the wooden driver housings. I used a lathe. At least a grinder is needed.

IMG_20170611_154407_zpsyikrcaaa.jpg

Lastly just secure the screws/washers/nuts into one piece and you are golden.
IMG_20170611_155220_zpsawdmoxoy.jpg

(((ALTERNATIVE))) :
You CAN recycle the stock yolk screws and nuts for total reversibility but I found them not to be holding the third party head band very securely as the screw holes are almost too much bigger than what those smaller stock yolk screws can handle. But it works, if you want that total reversibility.

Also, I bought this pair of lamb skin memory foam earpads for 200RMB/29.50USD from this link to be shipped along with my head band:
【105mm圆形耳机套 真皮耳机套 小羊皮耳套通用头戴式海绵套包邮】http://c.b1yt.com/h.RDwa27?cv=dtCDZD8oU7K&sm=31d3d2

IMG_20170611_162714_zpsihe6vek9.jpg

Not too sure how much they change the sound as hamsters may hear differently than normal human beings. With paper towel mods they retain the bass while bring up the treble sparkle a little bit with no sibilance to speak of. (Stock cans sound warm to me. No idea why some Headfiers are claiming that they are bright and sibilant. K701 - those sound sibilant af to me.)

Time for some sunflower seeds, l8r.

Hamster

All of these images and links are dead... Any chance you can update at least the images?

May 5, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #7,076 of 8,051
Also they are a bit dirty from oils(hair, skin etc.) and I tried looking up the best ways to clean them but the only things i'm seeing are water, rubbing alcohol and soap and water.
Soap and water won't work so that leaves water, rubbing alcohol and maybe this natural cleaning stuff I have?
I heard that using rubbing alcohol can react to the synthetic pleather causing the pads to crack over time and do who knows what.
I could clean them with water and that won't cause problems but I don't think that will remove the oils on the pads so idk what to do.
I could try using this natural cleaning stuff I have but idk what will happen, kinda risky like the rubbing alcohol.
How do y'all clean your headphones?

May 5, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #7,077 of 8,051
My 1060s have been making a squeaking noise mainly from the left side but also a little bit from the right.
I believe its the hinges making the noise, do y'all have any ideas that might solve this problem?

I have this silicone oil in a needle dropper that I used on things like this. My left side is squeaking a little, but I haven't used it yet. As for cleaning, I just wipe down my ear pads with a microfiber cloth when I am done listening for the day.

May 5, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #7,079 of 8,051
May 6, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #7,080 of 8,051
Yeah I just use water and a microfiber towel. I wipe down the earpads a few times a month. Good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back