Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 9, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #6,841 of 8,051
Ill add more details later tonight, but my M1060s first came covered in mold. I RMA'd and got ones that merely had a moldy carrying case (which ill never use). And while I was waiting on my RMA, my ZMF suede pads arrived.

$240 for M1060 (20% off coupon)
$75 for the ZMF pads
$4 for a pad of adhesive felt

1. I don't like the head band, too much pressure on the top of my head. Will have to mod at a later time.
2. Listened stock, then removed outer foam dust covers. Sound and air pressure much better with no foam.
3. Stock pads suck. ZMF pads are awesome both in comfort and better sound. Totally worth the $75 upgrade. Lovely.
4. Listened for a day with new pads, then spent yesterday afternoon slicing up felt to make fuzzors. Listened for about an hour... intently. Ripped the fuzzors off and went back to without them. My V2 M1060s with ZMF pads and no fuzzors is how I like it the best. $319 total for those wonderful sounding cans.

Paired to a little dot MK3 and SMSL Sanskrit DAC. My listening style is Jazz, EDM, rock, and whatever sounds like a mix of these things. Previous headphones are the HD6XX

You should print honeycomb custom grills, designs have been posted previously. Really good ar reducing reflections from the original metal grills.

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #6,842 of 8,051
Is there any major improvements to be expected in sound quality if upgrading to a balanced cable or anything similar high-quality cable? What I've heard, generally in speakers - cables are the last thing you should consider when buying hifi. Of course, all these things depends on personal preferences. At some point I would be interested in also to upgrade my m1060 cable (maybe just for sexier looking, lol) but prices tend to go pretty high usually.

Sorry to say but you have been mislead - cables (speaker, interconnect and power) are really important in fine-tuning your system and should not be considered as a waste of money or the least important thing.

I have custom made cable for my M1060 and can honestly say sound quality is much better compared to the original thin cable. Detail retrieval is much better, midrange is more open and natural, sound in general is brighter and more articulate. And I did not use very expensive cable, just wonder what effect can be achieved with a pure silver or better quality thicker OFC cable. Below is the link to my post in DIY cable gallery thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-cable-gallery.71148/page-1025#post-14062855

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #6,845 of 8,051
Stock pads are not bad but the vmf suede are sooooo much better.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #6,848 of 8,051
Got my m560’s back today from rma. So glad, I really missed them. Bone stock they are amazing. I think they will pair nicely with some ori pads but not sure if I should get the suede, leather or fenstrated? Didn’t realize how much I loved them till I had to go without them for a while.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #6,849 of 8,051
Dose anyone know of a decent cable for the m1060? I really hate the stock cable as it is microphonic and am using my HIFIMAN HE400i cable which fixed the issue. I found a few on ebay OFC 5n with Acrolink 3.5mm plugs 1.2meters long asking $75 Canadian is this too much?

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #6,850 of 8,051
Dose anyone know of a decent cable for the m1060? I really hate the stock cable as it is microphonic and am using my HIFIMAN HE400i cable which fixed the issue. I found a few on ebay OFC 5n with Acrolink 3.5mm plugs 1.2meters long asking $75 Canadian is this too much?

That's not a bad price. I've heard great things about Periapt Cables, and THIS is the one I'm going to order for my M1060. It's $50 US for 1.5m.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #6,853 of 8,051
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #6,854 of 8,051
Don't know if this was mentioned but Monoprice also sell upgraded cables for the M1060 https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29515

Those are quite...pink.

Also wish they went with a straight connector as a huge angled connector poking out of my Magni 2 is rather unsightly.

I was thinking about getting the one fpantalone linked. Looks like it's under "neomusica" on Amazon. I might end up just making my own if I can find some inexpensive connectors and some nice paracord sleeving though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back