Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #6,121 of 8,051
I just got my m1060 today and I'm impressed, no burn at all, maybe it just sounds good because of my low standards from using the m40x and the shp9500... I'm not sure on how I can verify the 5k ringing issue? What does it sound like? And music is good for finding the 5k ringing? Because I'm not sure what to look for...

It makes female vocals very harsh and hard to listen to (at least that's what I heard in my pair). I noticed it the most with metal like Amaranthe and Nightwish. If you can't hear it, you either got a good pair or have different ears from some of us.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #6,122 of 8,051
It makes female vocals very harsh and hard to listen to (at least that's what I heard in my pair). I noticed it the most with metal like Amaranthe and Nightwish. If you can't hear it, you either got a good pair or have different ears from some of us.
I'm listening to some female vocals right now and they only sound little bit harsh, but that's only when I try focus very hard on the details, and it's just a little, so it looks like I have been blessed by the audio gods.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #6,123 of 8,051
If you're not having a problem at 5K (with your chosen music), ...

I just got my m1060 today and I'm impressed, no burn at all, maybe it just sounds good because of my low standards from using the m40x and the shp9500... I'm not sure on how I can verify the 5k ringing issue? What does it sound like? And music is good for finding the 5k ringing? Because I'm not sure what to look for...

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #6,124 of 8,051

No need to look for it, it doesn't seem to affect all units... Most reviewers didn't notice a thing. I haven't noticed it either, no need to worry about that something that may or may not exist. Happy listening!

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #6,125 of 8,051
No need to look for it, it doesn't seem to affect all units... Most reviewers didn't notice a thing. I haven't noticed it either, no need to worry about that something that may or may not exist. Happy listening!
Well the, I'm glad I don't experience the ringing issue, guess I lucked out!

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #6,126 of 8,051
Hey so I got the m1060 and love them but removed the grill foam and did not like the result so put it back in but now it seems like its not close enough to the driver and the cans just sound well kind of tinny. I noticed when I removed the foam that it was glued to the sides and it was perfectly flat with the cup , now since its foam it is wanting to push the grill up till you put it on completely and not flush with the cup surface is this my issue? Before this issue they were close to my 7xx in terms of bass hit ect. I'm just looking to get the stock sound back at this point.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #6,127 of 8,051
I ordered the M1060 when it was $50 off, should be here today. I do not get to open it as it will be my Christmas gift from my wife. I am toying with the idea of getting a refurbished M560, as I would have use for a sealed headphone.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #6,130 of 8,051
The Massdrop/HiFiman HE4XX (based on the 400i) at only $169 seems like a great deal to me, but I think I was already advised on here that the M1060 is better, but it is 70% more expensive of course.

That's such a difficult comparison as EVERYTHING depends on ones hearing, gear, source, tastes in music, volume you listen too, on and on.
I own both and it's so polarizing on everyone's opinion. I didn't like the HE 400i initially but have come to appreciate it more the longer I've listened and owned them. Out of all my HP's I own and versus the 1060, this is my least favorite and will more then likely go on the classifieds here pretty soon as they just don't get the head-time at all.
I like the 1060's a lot more due to the fact that for me, they're more rich and full bodied. I'm also a strong proponent in bass as long as it's clean, fast and deep. The treble is not as extended as the 400i and the bass digs deeper. Depending on your amp/Dac, the 1060's can dig deep in the bass and sub bass.
There's not that huge of a price difference but that all depends on ones disposable income.
For me, it's the 1060 over the 400i 100/100 times if I had to choose and could only own 1 of them.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6,131 of 8,051
The Massdrop/HiFiman HE4XX (based on the 400i) at only $169 seems like a great deal to me, but I think I was already advised on here that the M1060 is better, but it is 70% more expensive of course.
To add to post from @koover above and provide a counter-point, there are some like me that like the HE400i better than the M1060, but it may be due to the M1060 I heard being stock and my HE400i being modded and the older version with SMC jacks and the back plate. You should consider that many have modded the M1060 to get them to sound better so I'm still a little interested in hearing a M1060 that has been modded. Another thing to consider is that there are not many impressions of the HE4XX so how it sounds relative to the HE400i is still not widely known but the $169 price is really good if they are even close to the HE400i.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #6,133 of 8,051
1060 all the way ,, i have it (stock and modded) ,, i enjoy them both more than my HE400i ,,
the only thing i like my he400i for , is some extra details and better build quality , anything else i prefer 1060 ..
just pair the 1060 with good amp and trust me you will have a high end peace of gear ,
but to be honest , its not a 70% deference ,, maybe 45% , so if your budget is tight ,, 4XX is a smart choice.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #6,134 of 8,051
The more I listen to my m1060s, the more im thinking that monoprice made a silent revision after ver2 in order to fix the 5k ringing, because this so called infamous "ringing" is non existent in my pair. what a steal for $250!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back