Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 8, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,737 of 8,051
Awesome thanks. That gives me more confidence in trying this. If I end up not liking the pads, would swapping them back ruin them? By that I mean, will there be non-removable glue residue that would make them non-returnable?

I don't think so as long as you did it carefully. It's like 2 sided tape, not glue. You might have to get some sticky remover to get 100% of it off of the pads but 97% stays stuck to the headphone cups. It will be fine.

May 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,738 of 8,051
Just received my M1060 from the post, no tax or handling fee so all I paid is about $450 CAD ($322.65 USD).

No crack on wood so I am happy, will have them burn in first.

I brought home few pieces of embroidery backings (black stabilizer), different weight. Going to mod and see which is better improvement.

May 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,739 of 8,051
Awesome thanks. That gives me more confidence in trying this. If I end up not liking the pads, would swapping them back ruin them? By that I mean, will there be non-removable glue residue that would make them non-returnable?

Good luck trying to get the Vegans off of the cups without leaving a fair amount of material on the cup. It WILL help tho if you do the cskippy thing and try and make the glue on the cups less sticky by hitting your shirt with them a few times. But you likely won't want to take the Vegans off anyway :)

May 8, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #3,740 of 8,051
It's adhesive. It's not some crazy substance. It's sticky enough to pull stock pads and add another pair of pads repeatedly when testing.

I don't think so as long as you did it carefully. It's like 2 sided tape, not glue. You might have to get some sticky remover to get 100% of it off of the pads but 97% stays stuck to the headphone cups. It will be fine.

Thanks. That makes sense now. Would have been quite the hassle if it were some kind of crazy glue.

Good luck trying to get the Vegans off of the cups without leaving a fair amount of material on the cup. It WILL help tho if you do the cskippy thing and try and make the glue on the cups less sticky by hitting your shirt with them a few times. But you likely won't want to take the Vegans off anyway :)

Seems like mostly everyone is satisfied with the Vegans, so I imagine I will be as well. :)

May 8, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,741 of 8,051
Just received my M1060 from the post, no tax or handling fee so all I paid is about $450 CAD ($322.65 USD).

No crack on wood so I am happy, will have them burn in first.

I brought home few pieces of embroidery backings (black stabilizer), different weight. Going to mod and see which is better improvement.

Thanks, seems like free trade is working.

May 8, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #3,742 of 8,051
I searched this thread for replacement cable, someone mentioned the Hifiman cable works, but they are TRS not TS, is it safe to use on the M1060?
Someone also posted a cable for Focal Elears with 2.5 TS connector just like the stock cable that came with the M1060, is there a cheaper aftermarket cable that cost around $50?

May 8, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #3,743 of 8,051
The Hifiman Cables work for the M1060... at least the ones I tried for the 400i and the HE1000 do. Yes they are TRS instead of TS, but they make contact in the jack and play just fine. The Hifiman cables only use two conductors per side. I believe tip and sleeve. Check Ebay. and check back here. In the 400i thread several people have bought off of Ebay with decent results. You can check there as well.

May 8, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #3,744 of 8,051
Thinking of getting a shorter 1.2m cable like this one here, does this one work? Is not going to short with that extra ring?
9940386_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #3,745 of 8,051
Hi guys, I am interested in the M1060, I am switching from an HE-400i, how could you compare the treble of the two?

Is the M1060 more present? One of my complaints about the HE-400i was that they were too laid back and relaxed.

Thank you so much for the help!

May 9, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #3,746 of 8,051
I think what you're missing from the HE-400i is smooth treble integration with the rest of the spectrum. The HE-400i has a dip around 2kHz and then another around 5.5kHz followed by a peak at 9kHz. This will make snare hits, claps, guitars, and stringed instruments lose their snap and bite. The peak at 9kHz makes cymbals tizzy, but it's not that bad.

I think you might like the M1060 stock, maybe with paper towel but I would suggest trying an HD600 or maybe HD650 as they have far smoother treble that is better represented.

May 9, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #3,747 of 8,051
I found a small piece of plastic on the floor then, after a while, I discovered that it was the cap on the M1060 hing. Used superglue to put it back. something to check since you can easily loose this part if it falls off.

The same thing happened to me on the Rev 2, though under closer inspection, the little pleather washer under the bolt had torn... cap came off because of it.
What a poor design choice, having the entire swivel design reliant on a small thin pleather ring.
Currently trying to think of a replacement material to sandwich between there, it is noticeably looser, wiggles, and squeeks. Not really wanting to RMA unless they fix this design issue.

May 9, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #3,748 of 8,051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back