Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 8, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #3,706 of 8,051
I think DHL is the cheapest option to ship to canada, DHL is $22.65 compare to USPS $55.99, I knew there will be handling fee but no where close to what USPS charges.

I'd imagine living in south does save a lot of money.

My experience, living in Ottawa Canada for many years and buying tons of musical equipment and audio gear, is that USPS/Canada Post, was always the cheapest option. Never was I charged brokerage fees , and rarely was I charged tax. Of course if it was a drum kit, it had to go via UPS, or Fedex, but through USPS it was as stated. That was my own experience. If you're close to the US border, you can have it UPS'ed to a store on the US side and drive over and get it. It can be worth it sometimes. Delivery charges are crazy 'sometimes'. Good luck with it ...

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,707 of 8,051
I dont think I remember seeing this posted or not yet, but what after market cables work?

I know we have dual 2.5mm mono TS connector but would a 2.5mm TRS connector work? There's a lot more of those since Sennheiser, Hifiman, Oppo and others use that.

May 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #3,708 of 8,051
I dont think I remember seeing this posted or not yet, but what after market cables work?

I know we have dual 2.5mm mono TS connector but would a 2.5mm TRS connector work? There's a lot more of those since Sennheiser, Hifiman, Oppo and others use that.

Sennheiser HD700 and Hifiman cables work

May 8, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #3,709 of 8,051
After roughly 100 hours of burn-in, I sat down to listen to these. A lot has changed in my equipment stable since I had the rev. 1 of these. In the interim I've auditioned Audeze LCD-2, upgraded the amp for my Koss ESP-950, and ultimately settled on the Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany as my daily cans.

In comparison with the X00, these are... well... "meh". Kinda dull actually. I don't get the lively immediacy of the music I get with the Fostex. That doesn't mean that the M1060 are *technically* worse; in fact I would posit that they are probably more accurate/flat, but there's just something the Fostex X00 do with the music that I just like better.

The manufacturing quality of the M1060 rev. 2 is definitely better than rev. 1, but I still question how well they will hold up over time. The 1/8 to 1/4 adapter is, as other have mentioned, complete and utter garbage. I had the same problem as others with the sound cutting to mono; at first I thought I had a bum set of headphones, but switching to an adapter I had here in the office solved the problem.

Hopefully a $1.49 adapter doesn't end up putting people off these headphones because what they hear sounds like a$$. Big mistake by Monoprice, as this cheap weakest link could cost them sales.

Ultimately for me though, these aren't the ticket.

May 8, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #3,710 of 8,051
After roughly 100 hours of burn-in, I sat down to listen to these. A lot has changed in my equipment stable since I had the rev. 1 of these. In the interim I've auditioned Audeze LCD-2, upgraded the amp for my Koss ESP-950, and ultimately settled on the Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany as my daily cans.

In comparison with the X00, these are... well... "meh". Kinda dull actually. I don't get the lively immediacy of the music I get with the Fostex. That doesn't mean that the M1060 are *technically* worse; in fact I would posit that they are probably more accurate/flat, but there's just something the Fostex X00 do with the music that I just like better.

The manufacturing quality of the M1060 rev. 2 is definitely better than rev. 1, but I still question how well they will hold up over time. The 1/8 to 1/4 adapter is, as other have mentioned, complete and utter garbage. I had the same problem as others with the sound cutting to mono; at first I thought I had a bum set of headphones, but switching to an adapter I had here in the office solved the problem.

Hopefully a $1.49 adapter doesn't end up putting people off these headphones because what they hear sounds like a$$. Big mistake by Monoprice, as this cheap weakest link could cost them sales.

Is this m1060 with stock pads? Because I can agree they sound mediocre at best, but after the pad upgrade, I can't even imagine there being anything close to these at this pricerange (and possibly up to 1000$?). The airyness, warmness and bass impact these produce after a velour pad swap is just mindblowing (anything from jazz to Dream Theater sounds amazing). Then again I'm coming from the HD600's, and I've yet to hear anything similar in the 500-1000$ pricerange.

May 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #3,713 of 8,051
M1060 $361.99 (pad upgrade) or MD Fostex TH-X00 $399.99 ? :thinking:
:right_facing_fist::left_facing_fist:
for what heavyharmonies described, I'm guessing he likes a different flavor of color to his music, the m1060 seem to be really flat compared to the TH-X00 so it depends on what are you looking for on your headphones flat sound or I'm guessing more of a V shape to it

May 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,714 of 8,051
for what heavyharmonies described, I'm guessing he likes a different flavor of color to his music, the m1060 seem to be really flat compared to the TH-X00 so it depends on what are you looking for on your headphones flat sound or I'm guessing more of a V shape to it

And a narrow soundstage vs a more wider one

May 8, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,715 of 8,051

After reading this post I think I'll pass on the M1060, to me the TH-600 was better than the TH-X00 due to the ear pads (sold TH-X00), my HD600 was sold since it had a peak in the 4-5khz range that bothered me at times and I find that my Ypsilon and Nhoord custom builds are more fun than the LCD-2f and way lighter. I don't have a daily driver but a few seem to get the most head time: HD700, Ypsilon S2, EL8 open, HE560 and Nhoord Red V2

May 8, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #3,716 of 8,051
I placed the order on May 2, tracking shows is now at Canada Post possession and I should be able to pick it up on Monday, I will post how much tax I pay tomorrow.

Last time ordered stuff from states, DHL -> Canada Post they usually charge $10 handling fee plus whatever HST (13%) of the declared value is.
I ordered from the first batch on newegg.ca. Payed no shipping or import duties to canada. It shipped directly from monoprice.

May 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,717 of 8,051

My comparison was pretty much the exact opposite. I'm using the paper towel mod, which is a requirement imo. The only aspect the X00 (purple heart) had going for it was a more impactful bass. That being said I enjoy the m1060 bass more because it delivers more detail and on most songs the bass doesn't take over. The imaging and detail was not even close imo. On Bobby Bland's song "This Time I'm Gone for Good" the guitar cries at the end of cords occasionally. This detail comes through clearly on the m1060, but I have to focus to pick up on it on the TH00. Could be cause the base is kinda strong on the song. A recurring drum sequence on the song "Down by the Seas" provides a good comparison for imagining. The M1060 just do imaging better.

I still love the TH00PH cause I like the impact of the base when the mood strikes me, and it's nice having a simi-closed set of cans when I'm playing games later at night or early in the morning. As I type this I can see the postman stuffing my mailbox with the Attenuation ring and Fenestrated Sheepskin! Can't wait to try the TH00 with them. I also have the vegan pads on order for the M1060.

I think the cans are diffrent enough to justify owning either, but as an owner of both I would pick the M1060. IMO the sq is better, and at $100 cheaper (for PH) its a no brainier.

May 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,718 of 8,051
Lol these babies did NOT spend much time between wood treatment and packaging, I'm still high from opening the box!

May 8, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #3,720 of 8,051

Well, of course. That's the The Th-X00 is a fun colored headphone with thumping bass. The TH-X00 is next on my list because I really want to experience that bass and there are times when you just want something fun.

There is something special about well balanced headphone that give you everything including good quality bass that I really enjoy. I can really enjoy my M1060 and HE-500 and don't find them "meh" at all.

Though I will say you probably shouldn't listen to the TH-X00 before listening to the M1060, as the Fostex will steal all the bass, that rascal. Really bassy headphone will make otherwise excellent headphone sound as if they have no bass at all.

To me a balanced headphone is #1 and colored headphone is a addition too headphone. But that's the great thing about this hobby, we can all have our preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back