Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 8, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3,722 of 8,051
My comparison was pretty much the exact opposite. I'm using the paper towel mod, which is a requirement imo. The only aspect the X00 (purple heart) had going for it was a more impactful bass. That being said I enjoy the m1060 bass more because it delivers more detail and on most songs the bass doesn't take over. The imaging and detail was not even close imo. On Bobby Bland's song "This Time I'm Gone for Good" the guitar cries at the end of cords occasionally. This detail comes through clearly on the m1060, but I have to focus to pick up on it on the TH00. Could be cause the base is kinda strong on the song. A recurring drum sequence on the song "Down by the Seas" provides a good comparison for imagining. The M1060 just do imaging better.

I still love the TH00PH cause I like the impact of the base when the mood strikes me, and it's nice having a simi-closed set of cans when I'm playing games later at night or early in the morning. As I type this I can see the postman stuffing my mailbox with the Attenuation ring and Fenestrated Sheepskin! Can't wait to try the TH00 with them. I also have the vegan pads on order for the M1060.

I think the cans are diffrent enough to justify owning either, but as an owner of both I would pick the M1060. IMO the sq is better, and at $100 cheaper (for PH) its a no brainier.
After roughly 100 hours of burn-in, I sat down to listen to these. A lot has changed in my equipment stable since I had the rev. 1 of these. In the interim I've auditioned Audeze LCD-2, upgraded the amp for my Koss ESP-950, and ultimately settled on the Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany as my daily cans.

In comparison with the X00, these are... well... "meh". Kinda dull actually. I don't get the lively immediacy of the music I get with the Fostex. That doesn't mean that the M1060 are *technically* worse; in fact I would posit that they are probably more accurate/flat, but there's just something the Fostex X00 do with the music that I just like better.

The manufacturing quality of the M1060 rev. 2 is definitely better than rev. 1, but I still question how well they will hold up over time. The 1/8 to 1/4 adapter is, as other have mentioned, complete and utter garbage. I had the same problem as others with the sound cutting to mono; at first I thought I had a bum set of headphones, but switching to an adapter I had here in the office solved the problem.

Hopefully a $1.49 adapter doesn't end up putting people off these headphones because what they hear sounds like a$$. Big mistake by Monoprice, as this cheap weakest link could cost them sales.

Ultimately for me though, these aren't the ticket.

LOL just going by memory since DMS3 still has my PH's......but for what my goal is with both these cans (bassy, fun, but still with detail), I prefer the Purplehearts. Not by a whole lot, but I do. And there is absolutely zero argument that X00 is built better.

I love the Lawton Tune-Up Kit added to X00; though when I get them back, I need to finish installing the cup damping, add an attenuator ring, and then finish off by tweaking the foam ring per the EZ-Mods thread.

My 1060's have the leather-free pads, I just need to get off my butt and find black napkins to do the under-grille mods.

May 8, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,723 of 8,051
My 1060's have the leather-free pads, I just need to get off my butt and find black napkins to do the under-grille mods.

Make sure they have similar thickness/plushness to a paper towel - I tried those thin, black party napkins and it made them sound like hot ass, while the paper towels helped noticably to flatten the response.

May 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #3,724 of 8,051
My comparison was pretty much the exact opposite. I'm using the paper towel mod, which is a requirement imo. The only aspect the X00 (purple heart) had going for it was a more impactful bass. That being said I enjoy the m1060 bass more because it delivers more detail and on most songs the bass doesn't take over. The imaging and detail was not even close imo. On Bobby Bland's song "This Time I'm Gone for Good" the guitar cries at the end of cords occasionally. This detail comes through clearly on the m1060, but I have to focus to pick up on it on the TH00. Could be cause the base is kinda strong on the song. A recurring drum sequence on the song "Down by the Seas" provides a good comparison for imagining. The M1060 just do imaging better.

I still love the TH00PH cause I like the impact of the base when the mood strikes me, and it's nice having a simi-closed set of cans when I'm playing games later at night or early in the morning. As I type this I can see the postman stuffing my mailbox with the Attenuation ring and Fenestrated Sheepskin! Can't wait to try the TH00 with them. I also have the vegan pads on order for the M1060.

I think the cans are diffrent enough to justify owning either, but as an owner of both I would pick the M1060. IMO the sq is better, and at $100 cheaper (for PH) its a no brainier.

If you have a TH-X00, especially the PH varient, the Lawton Audio Tune-up Kit really transforms them in to a much clearer and richly detailed phone, on par with the modded M1060 but with that sweeter and more lively Fostex sound and bass. Stock though, yeah the wood chamber/driver housing acoustic reflections really messes with things and accounts for loss of clarity and detail. The Lawton Tune-up Kit really opens up the detail greatly, especially delayed echoes, sustains, and low level vocals/effects that were never ever heard before. And then you can add custom pad attenuator plates made from manila folder or similar material for inserting into the rear portion of aftermarket pads behind the ear, so you gain bass back but not at the expense of losing mids/highs detail/clarity, like happens with the stock 'full-donut' attenuator plate design.

I really do like the modded M1060, but my preference is the sound the modded TH-X00 PH makes, especially when it comes to electronic music. The M1060 strength is acoustic music, that is the music that makes me want to choose the M1060 over my other headphones. But when the majority of my music is Vocaloid and electronic based, that makes me go for the TH-X00 PH more often than the M1060 overall, the TH-X00 PH absolutely excells at electronic music.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #3,725 of 8,051
If you have a TH-X00, especially the PH varient, the Lawton Audio Tune-up Kit really transforms them in to a much clearer and richly detailed phone, on par with the modded M1060 but with that sweeter and more lively Fostex sound and bass. Stock though, yeah the wood chamber/driver housing acoustic reflections really messes with things and accounts for loss of clarity and detail. The Lawton Tune-up Kit really opens up the detail greatly, especially delayed echoes, sustains, and low level vocals/effects that were never ever heard before. And then you can add custom pad attenuator plates made from manila folder or similar material for inserting into the rear portion of aftermarket pads behind the ear, so you gain bass back but not at the expense of losing mids/highs detail/clarity, like happens with the stock 'full-donut' attenuator plate design.

I really do like the modded M1060, but my preference is the sound the modded TH-X00 PH makes.

How much does that mod cost?

May 8, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #3,727 of 8,051
...And there is absolutely zero argument that X00 is built better.

I love the Lawton Tune-Up Kit added to X00...

If you have a TH-X00, especially the PH varient, the Lawton Audio Tune-up Kit really transforms them in to a much clearer and richly detailed phone, on par with the modded M1060 but with that sweeter and more lively Fostex sound and bass.

Without a doubt, the TH00 feel better in the hand. It is a finished product, the M1060 does not have that same built finish.

I just gave the TH00PH with Dekoni elite sheepskin pads and attenuation ring a listen. Notably improvement, but the M1060 still edged em out. Once again, not in the impact or fun department, but overall sq and enjoyment. The TH00PH's clarity and detail is a step behind, literally just a step tho. The guitars, drum, and vocals sounds better overall on the M1060. I have not looked much into the Lawton Audio Tune-up Kit... but will likely get it (my wallet thanks you : \). I would love if the Lawton Audio Tune-up Kit took the clarity and detail on the TH00PH to another level without giving up the impact bass. It'd be money well spent, However, my TH00 would be hitting the $575 + shipping threshold. All just to possibly match the clarity I'm hearing on the M1060 and to have better bass. Could it be a better set of cans at that point? Yes, but lets not forget why the M1060 is popular. It is not because it is the best sounding headphone to enter the market. It's popular because it is delivery amazing SQ for it's price. Although, it has some people super butt hurt about that too.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,728 of 8,051
The most important thing is finding the sound signature you like with the music you like. Always has been and always will be. Or like me, you need a few different ones that excel in different areas and genres.

There is no "best" headphone period. It all depends on the person and what they like and want to spend. The thing is, even at the $300 price point these are at, there are a ton of good other options, especially if you allow yourself to look at the used market of headphones. Things like the HE-500 and T1 are incredibly good headphones (used to be the absolute top you could go a few years back), whose price has dropped a ton since release. They are still remarkably good and hold up today IMO.

Bottom line - Yes, these are quite good but there are many very good headphones, just need to find which work best for you. Which means basically trying a lot of brands/sound signatures until you're happy. Eventually you find the ones that really just gel best with your tastes and what you find reasonable to spend.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,729 of 8,051
Yeah, the M1060 for $300 + small price of modding makes it one of the best current bargins in a headphone with extremely high sound quality. Build quality is not the best, but seems okay enough to not fall apart and the planar drivers seem to be good. Main reason I got the M1060 was I wanted an open planar driver headphone with decent bass that didn't break the bank, along with being a nice platform for learning about making 3D printed components. I'm really impressed with the M1060, was not much of a planar fan in my previous experience with the driver type (Fostex T50RP Mark III). Seems you need the large surface area to really maximize what a planar does.

May 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,730 of 8,051
I'm really impressed with the M1060, was not much of a planar fan in my previous experience with the driver type (Fostex T50RP Mark III). Seems you need the large surface area to really maximize what a planar does.

I agree with you. Planar surface area really does matter. I got a pair of T20-RP MKIII after I already had a pair of HE-400s and I was like, "what's all the fuss about?" Even modded I feel it doesn't do anything better than my HE-400 except maybe un-eq'ed bass volume. Doesn't have the same extension as the HE-400 though. And the HE-400 doesn't really do anything better than the M1060 except maybe treble clarity (but it comes at the price of sibilance).

May 8, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,731 of 8,051
Bass is still tight and present. Listening to Dream Theater and Slipknot atm and couldn't be more happy. Switching from leather to velour and losing bass is more common on closed-back headphones, so I wouldn't worry :)

Thank you! I'm going to pull the trigger on those pads :)

May 8, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #3,732 of 8,051
So received the m1060's today from monoprice, and first listening was off of my fiio x5lll because I was in the middle of folding and what not, Now as far as build and feel it could be better for a premium headphone, but as far as my ears can tell the sound quality added to the few issues off build still equal one fantastic headphone for 300$ AND I have owned quite a bit of headphones in this range and a handful in the 1000$ range.

I can say that to my experience I haven't had a ringing on this particular model or at least have not heard it. I have not modded these in anyways since I just received them and don't believe in modding anything until I at least the stock a chance to settle in(brain burn in and ears getting use to the differences to the headphone differences). Which I am not sure what mods are available since between work and personal issues I have not had time to read this thread thoroughly yet, but I am sure I would try them.

I did power these adequately via these sources and amps: Fiio X5III, X5III- Ibasso Pb2 amp, X5III-Meier 2stepdance portable amp, Ares DAC- Alo Panam with GE Jan 5654W and all of these pairings sounded agreeable. :man_dancing:

May 8, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,734 of 8,051
What is the process involved in swapping pads? Do we just pull the old pads off with force? When we attach the new pads, do we have to use glue?

No adhesive needs to be reapplied. The stock adhesive that's there is plenty sticky. My Vegans came with adhesive rings and I didn't even take them out of the package. Just carefully peel off the stock pads, nice and slow. Be sure to get the cloth driver cover with the pad when peeling it off so as not to tear it if you can. Line up the ones you want to use carefully and press them on. Easy peasy. It's actually easier to swap than most "standard" pads (the ones with a lip that folds over part of the headphone).

May 8, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,735 of 8,051
No adhesive needs to be reapplied. The stock adhesive that's there is plenty sticky. My Vegans came with adhesive rings and I didn't even take them out of the package. Just carefully peel off the stock pads, nice and slow. Be sure to get the cloth driver cover with the pad when peeling it off so as not to tear it if you can. Line up the ones you want to use carefully and press them on. Easy peasy. It's actually easier to swap than most "standard" pads (the ones with a lip that folds over part of the headphone).

Awesome thanks. That gives me more confidence in trying this. If I end up not liking the pads, would swapping them back ruin them? By that I mean, will there be non-removable glue residue that would make them non-returnable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back