Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 9, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #3,766 of 8,051
Really? Hmm, thanks for the info guys.

I used to own the HD 650 for a brief period, but returned them, because ironically I found the vocals to be a bit distant sounding.
Oh, actually I just thought of something, the Audio Technica 2000x open headphones are suppose to be very good headphones, especially strong for vocal presentation. So that may be something you could look into, they may be just for you if you are feeling the h650 is too distant which to me just seems your preference may bit more of an extreme of upfront vocal presentation, there is always an attempt at eq and or pairing with a particular amp that may help that preference.

May 9, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,767 of 8,051
Anyone who doesn't think there is enough low end on these may want to contemplate their amp/dac setup. FWIW I upgraded to the ifi micro iDSD black label and without any boost the bass is much better. Even more so than my xDuoo XD-05.

May 9, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3,768 of 8,051
Upgrading to better amp/dac has always just made my headphones tighter, including tighter bass, which meant subjectively less bass. When I give the M1060 a Harman bass boost via EQ they turn into bass monsters.

May 9, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,769 of 8,051
Well, I jumped on board the M1060 train today. Hope to get them by the weekend. With my luck, they'll come out with a new and improved version 3 next week.

May 9, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3,770 of 8,051
May 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,771 of 8,051
Upgrading to better amp/dac has always just made my headphones tighter, including tighter bass, which meant subjectively less bass. When I give the M1060 a Harman bass boost via EQ they turn into bass monsters.

Take my lack of equipment into account. I am broke and therefore haven't heard what many other amp/dacs can achieve. That being said bass sounds more pronounced. YMMV. Typically I steer clear of bass boost in general but the ifi does it surprisingly well.

May 9, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #3,772 of 8,051
My M1060 2nd revision started acting funny today, the left ear makes a funny sound on string instruments, like an artifical digital vibration sound, right ear does not have this issue and string instruments sound great from that side. I had my friend send me messages on steam on PC, and each little sound from the msg sound was really sounding off in left ear...

I love these headphones so much... please tell me I am not looking at a second RMA, is there an easy fix? :frowning2: Kind of want to cry... guess you get what you pay for in this business after all, what a bummer.

edit: i just unscrewed them for first time, took out the foam, and same issue, something is wrong, man i am really bummed out, I loved these headphones so much. im just getting a refund this time, two RMA's bad from each revision, bleh.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,775 of 8,051
My M1060 2nd revision started acting funny today, the left ear makes a funny sound on string instruments, like an artifical digital vibration sound, right ear does not have this issue and string instruments sound great from that side. I had my friend send me messages on steam on PC, and each little sound from the msg sound was really sounding off in left ear...

I love these headphones so much... please tell me I am not looking at a second RMA, is there an easy fix? :frowning2: Kind of want to cry... guess you get what you pay for in this business after all, what a bummer.

edit: i just unscrewed them for first time, took out the foam, and same issue, something is wrong, man i am really bummed out, I loved these headphones so much. im just getting a refund this time, two RMA's bad from each revision, bleh.

swap the cables to see if it's the cable or the earcup

May 9, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,776 of 8,051
I've had my M1060s for about a week, just getting used to their stock sound while I wait for my back ordered Audeze pads. It seems like these cans are more sensitive to positioning than I'm used to. I still haven't found the best way to put them on, but it seems like I often need to adjust their position on my head for the best sound.

May 9, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,777 of 8,051
I've had my M1060s for about a week, just getting used to their stock sound while I wait for my back ordered Audeze pads. It seems like these cans are more sensitive to positioning than I'm used to. I still haven't found the best way to put them on, but it seems like I often need to adjust their position on my head for the best sound.

I think this is a planar thing. My first planar was the HE-400 and I was surprised how much the sound changed just based on how I had them on my head. I thought it was the headphones, not the technology. But I got a pair of T20-RP MKIII and they are also pretty picky about placement but not as bad as the HE-400. The M1060 are no different than my HE-400 as far as pickiness goes. None of my dynamic headphones differ nearly as much in sound as to how they are placed on the head. So I guess that is a trade off for planar, you have to fiddle around with them to get them to where you want.

Also, it should be noted that I feel that the M1060 is less picky about head placement with the vegans than with the stock pads. I can't say for 100% sure, though.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,778 of 8,051
Well, my vegans have finally shipped from Audeze.

Been using the paper towel mod (2 layer napkin approach) for so long I've forgotten what stock sounds like.
Looking forward to trying the vegans, my hype has died down about them now and hoping I'm not disappointed, lol.

Been also sussing out some better virtualisation than Dolby Headphone, seems like Sennheiser's new GSX 1000 is the way to go, but going to try W10 Dolby Atmos first, when that's back up and running correctly.
Didn't realise how old and out-dated Dolby Headphone is.. SBX Pro and the GSX 1000 7.1 emulation appear to be the better of the two on the market right now.

May 9, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #3,779 of 8,051
If you're Windows only I recommend Soundblaster Z as SBX is the best surround DSP I've heard. I haven't been able to get Windows virtualizations to work.

May 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,780 of 8,051
[QUOTE="caenlenfromOCN, post: 13479884, member: 452723"

edit: i just unscrewed them for first time, took out the foam, and same issue, something is wrong, man i am really bummed out, I loved these headphones so much. im just getting a refund this time, two RMA's bad from each revision, bleh.[/QUOTE]

-Sucks that you keep getting bad pairs. My pair was great when I had it from the first batch, no issues, and many others seem to be good with theirs. Guess you just are not getting lucky on the pairs you are getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back