Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Sep 14, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #5,629 of 8,051
@audirvana, I'd agree with @cskippy that the Modi MB + Magni is a decent budget DAC/amp combo but others you might want to look at:
Project Polaris or Solstice from Garage 1217, you can also get the cheaper Modi2 or Modi2uber if you want to save even more, another all in one would be a Teac UD-301 or AI-301 if you want to also run speakers.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #5,631 of 8,051
Just finished assembling my 3d printer last night. Out came my 2nd print:
TPa0G8g.jpg

You can still see the imprint of the old grill. First impression for this mod is a wider soundstage. Not sure if sound signature has changed though. Overall very happy with results with the headphone and 3d printer :D

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #5,632 of 8,051
ZMF on Massdrop mentioned they are working on a suede type of pad for the Ori and Eikon, hopefully they can have those rolled out soon so that gives the community a cheaper option over the Audeze vegan pads.
Also worth noting is the perforated lambskin variants available on Massdrop right now. I've grabbed a pair for my 560's. It could be a good time to grab a pair of perforated eikon's for the m1060. By all accounts, they're a great pad and the perforated inner should reduce those reflections I imagine.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #5,633 of 8,051
just received my m1060 would like to start with reasonable/budget dac amp please give suggestions..someone on youtube zhilai preamp with amp for good results

In my experience, and I think many other would agree, the M1060 being a low impedance planar isn't particularly amp picky or incredibly hard to drive. It doesn't really change tone with different amps, if anything the bass might be lacking if not given enough power. At minimum I would suggest something like Schiit Fulla 2. Next step up would be Schiit stack (Modi 2/Magni 2). Above that it basically just comes down to preference and what other cans you have or are planning to get that such that amp pairings might make more of a difference. Popular choices are the Jot, Asgard 2, Audio-gd NFB-11, Vali 2, and even the Massdrop Liquid Carbon X that just started dropping today or the Massdrop Cavalli CTH/SDAC combo.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #5,634 of 8,051
In my experience, and I think many other would agree, the M1060 being a low impedance planar isn't particularly amp picky or incredibly hard to drive. It doesn't really change tone with different amps, if anything the bass might be lacking if not given enough power. At minimum I would suggest something like Schiit Fulla 2. Next step up would be Schiit stack (Modi 2/Magni 2). Above that it basically just comes down to preference and what other cans you have or are planning to get that such that amp pairings might make more of a difference. Popular choices are the Jot, Asgard 2, Audio-gd NFB-11, Vali 2, and even the Massdrop Liquid Carbon X that just started dropping today or the Massdrop Cavalli CTH/SDAC combo.
Just to add on, due to their low impedance, you do want to be careful about certain amp with high output impedance such as tube amps. I sold my Monoprice DAC/amp due to it's ~10 ohm output impedance (from what I could find from other postings) which was causing it to sound slightly distorted. Perfectly happy with my nano iDSD for now.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #5,636 of 8,051
I'd like to ask for a bit of advice, if anyone has experienced a similar thing. I picked out the foam disks from the M1060 and that improved the soundstage by a noticeable margin... but some instruments still sound a bit muffled. This I feel is almost certainly the effect of being used to ATH-MSR7s, but I wonder if there's any known way to achieve a similar level of clarity and precision on these headphones. Would different pads improve this situation?

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #5,637 of 8,051
I'd like to ask for a bit of advice, if anyone has experienced a similar thing. I picked out the foam disks from the M1060 and that improved the soundstage by a noticeable margin... but some instruments still sound a bit muffled. This I feel is almost certainly the effect of being used to ATH-MSR7s, but I wonder if there's any known way to achieve a similar level of clarity and precision on these headphones. Would different pads improve this situation?
The muffled sound is likely the thick dust cover used on the stock pads. New pads can help bring up the clarity.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #5,638 of 8,051
Or just pull off the rear of the pads. That's what I did! Though you may want to put a thin shear filter in place in front of the driver for protection. I have a foam disk there now, but I am planning on fuzzor + shear material for mine but I've been too busy/lazy to do it yet!

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #5,639 of 8,051
These cans make a strong argument for break in. As far as the the muffled sound in my experience was more of a recess in the midrange or lower upper range that has pretty much disappeared over time. I did try the pt mod and tried removing the rear foam which does open things up a bit more giving even more space between instrument which was already it's forte but I didn't want to leave it unprotected. I will end up taking them back out I think when I get some fabric I think won't reflect and want to try the fuzzor mod to see how it affects the sound though without ringing I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. I'm still on the stock pads as I like them. If zmf puts those out for the ori I'll probably try them or if someone does hybrid pads but I detect no ringing and don't want to lose any bass so I'm good for now.

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #5,640 of 8,051
These cans make a strong argument for break in. As far as the the muffled sound in my experience was more of a recess in the midrange or lower upper range that has pretty much disappeared over time. I did try the pt mod and tried removing the rear foam which does open things up a bit more giving even more space between instrument which was already it's forte but I didn't want to leave it unprotected. I will end up taking them back out I think when I get some fabric I think won't reflect and want to try the fuzzor mod to see how it affects the sound though without ringing I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. I'm still on the stock pads as I like them. If zmf puts those out for the ori I'll probably try them or if someone does hybrid pads but I detect no ringing and don't want to lose any bass so I'm good for now.

Bass is pretty much amp dependant... M1060 absolutely rock the bass with the microfiber Audeze pads running through a Gustard H10 with Burson V6 Classic opamps, right up there near the bass my modded TH-X00 PH puts out in quality and quantity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back