Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Sep 14, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5,641 of 8,051
The other things I did was add an impact audio balanced cable and a knitted headband pad that took away the hotspot on the head that made them very uncomfortable. Overall the headband cushion was the best mod as it took them from a half hour then pain to hours of comfortable listening.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #5,643 of 8,051
So I ended up doing the mod I planned. Attached are the images of what I did. I also attached what I used.

The felt is actually some leftover felt tape that I had from installing my DIY projection screen. It's perfect for this use.

The sheer material is actually from the shoe store. When I was buying some shoes, I saw that they had these footie things sitting there for people to try on shoes with. I grabbed a couple, and then proceeded to buy my shoes. Sanitary? Unknown :wink: but they worked great! And of course double sided tape.

On first listen they sound very good. My goal was to reduce ringing and reflections with the felt, while brightening them up overall with the sheer material. I believe my goal was achieved.

My dac/amp sounds more balanced in pure amp mode, as they dac is significantly brighter for some reason. The dac mode sounds better with bass boost enabled, while in amp only mode bass boost does a bit too much. I wonder if the dac is diverting more bass power from the amp, while using it in amp mode only, it has more power for the amp. Purely conjecture or random rambling. My DAC/AMP is a Topping NX4.

I hope this helps someone! I think this variation might be good for those who feel the stock sound is too veiled like I do.

20170914_195453[1].jpg 20170914_195442[1].jpg 20170914_193146[1].jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #5,646 of 8,051
thanks pocky g..ifi dsd is in the ballpark how does it sound compared to the schitt?
In my experience, and I think many other would agree, the M1060 being a low impedance planar isn't particularly amp picky or incredibly hard to drive. It doesn't really change tone with different amps, if anything the bass might be lacking if not given enough power. At minimum I would suggest something like Schiit Fulla 2. Next step up would be Schiit stack (Modi 2/Magni 2). Above that it basically just comes down to preference and what other cans you have or are planning to get that such that amp pairings might make more of a difference. Popular choices are the Jot, Asgard 2, Audio-gd NFB-11, Vali 2, and even the Massdrop Liquid Carbon X that just started dropping today or the Massdrop Cavalli CTH/SDAC combo.
i have a good deal on oppo ha2 older version would that be good enough..i am not happy with the sound still hiss is still there after burn in was hopingg it would sound better than kef q300 speakers..still holding on to hope though

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #5,647 of 8,051
Bass is pretty much amp dependant... M1060 absolutely rock the bass with the microfiber Audeze pads running through a Gustard H10 with Burson V6 Classic opamps, right up there near the bass my modded TH-X00 PH puts out in quality and quantity.

I'm looking for my first desktop amp purchase to pair it with my M1060. I'm quite a basshead, I find my Chord Mojo is a bit lacking in that aspect. I can't enjoy my EDMs collection with it as well as I do it on my home speakers. Live acoustic and orchestra recordings is a different story though, Chord Mojo excels on that one.

How does your setup fare (M1060s with H10+V6 Classic) in EDMs and bassy music in general?

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #5,649 of 8,051
Hi ... I'm looking to buy some 'stock' 1060 pads, in original condition. With the original 'grille' material still attached as at factory. Not sure if this is the place to ask. If it's not I'll happily delete this and place 'ad' in he correct place. Thanks.

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #5,650 of 8,051
Loving the M1060's (modified) with my DAC only Jotunheim (using external modi for now)...its Sonic Bliss!!!

Thanks PockyG and VRacer-111 for sharing your designs with the forum.

Thought about stretching some black pantyhose over the redone grills to help with looks and keeping particles out?

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #5,652 of 8,051
i have a good deal on oppo ha2 older version would that be good enough..i am not happy with the sound still hiss is still there after burn in was hopingg it would sound better than kef q300 speakers..still holding on to hope though

I'm looking for my first desktop amp purchase to pair it with my M1060. I'm quite a basshead, I find my Chord Mojo is a bit lacking in that aspect. I can't enjoy my EDMs collection with it as well as I do it on my home speakers. Live acoustic and orchestra recordings is a different story though, Chord Mojo excels on that one.

How does your setup fare (M1060s with H10+V6 Classic) in EDMs and bassy music in general?

I don't understand the reasoning for comparing speakers to headphones? They are completely different tools and do different things. I think you will always be disappointed if you are trying to get headphones to be "better" than speakers.

Regarding bass, I do think that is one component that can be affected by amp pairings, but I'm also concerned that people think different amps will completely change the sound signature of the M1060 and transform them into a bass cannon. That isn't going to happen. I think sometimes people misinterpret planars' linear bass response as thinking they will be good for bass heads. But in reality while the sub-bass is very good in planars, the entire bass response is flat, meaning it isn't emphasized compared to other frequencies. So it will be even and textured well in quality, but that doesn't say anything about the quantity of bass. Because the M1060 has rolled off treble, that lends them to have a warmer signature and there is indeed more bass than neutral cans like HD600 or DT880. But compared to bass heavy or U/V-shaped sounding cans, the M1060 just doesn't slam like that. Both my Fostex TH-X00 and EMU Teak absolutely destroy the M1060 in pure, head pounding bass. But those are definitely tuned to have more mid-bass emphasis that makes music feel thick and full. If you are a bass head type that wants to feel that sub-woofer type of pounding in your body, the TH-X00 is a much better fit. Even running a Th-X00 from a phone vs the M1060 from my NFB-11, the TH-X00 is just a better bass heavy headphone. Look at the following graph for comparison. You can clearly see the TH-X00 has about 5 dB more sub to mid-bass over M1060 when volume matched at 1kHz. I think most people set their volumes based on vocals and mid frequencies so it would make sense that if you set the volume to your normal listening levels on both headphones, the TH-X00 will just always have more bass presence. I'm not saying the TH-X00 is a better headphone than M1060 as they do different things. I find them to be sidegrades from each other. But if I am going to listen to hip hop or EDM for pure bass slam, I will grab the TH-X00 every time.

output.png

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #5,653 of 8,051
I don't understand the reasoning for comparing speakers to headphones? They are completely different tools and do different things. I think you will always be disappointed if you are trying to get headphones to be "better" than speakers.

Regarding bass, I do think that is one component that can be affected by amp pairings, but I'm also concerned that people think different amps will completely change the sound signature of the M1060 and transform them into a bass cannon. That isn't going to happen. I think sometimes people misinterpret planars' linear bass response as thinking they will be good for bass heads. But in reality while the sub-bass is very good in planars, the entire bass response is flat, meaning it isn't emphasized compared to other frequencies. So it will be even and textured well in quality, but that doesn't say anything about the quantity of bass. Because the M1060 has rolled off treble, that lends them to have a warmer signature and there is indeed more bass than neutral cans like HD600 or DT880. But compared to bass heavy or U/V-shaped sounding cans, the M1060 just doesn't slam like that. Both my Fostex TH-X00 and EMU Teak absolutely destroy the M1060 in pure, head pounding bass. But those are definitely tuned to have more mid-bass emphasis that makes music feel thick and full. If you are a bass head type that wants to feel that sub-woofer type of pounding in your body, the TH-X00 is a much better fit. Even running a Th-X00 from a phone vs the M1060 from my NFB-11, the TH-X00 is just a better bass heavy headphone. Look at the following graph for comparison. You can clearly see the TH-X00 has about 5 dB more sub to mid-bass over M1060 when volume matched at 1kHz. I think most people set their volumes based on vocals and mid frequencies so it would make sense that if you set the volume to your normal listening levels on both headphones, the TH-X00 will just always have more bass presence. I'm not saying the TH-X00 is a better headphone than M1060 as they do different things. I find them to be sidegrades from each other. But if I am going to listen to hip hop or EDM for pure bass slam, I will grab the TH-X00 every time.

output.png

Agree the M1060 won't have the impact level of the TH-X00 PH, especially at higher volume levels, but it still has very good impact and extension, especially for a planar. And the perceived bass is really not too much off the TH-X00 PH on my H10 at lower volumes (my modded PH is MUCH cleaner, a little deeper, and more detailed in bass than stock). Watts will help bring out the bass at lower volume (~70-75dB average is what I listen at, try to not have maximum level peaks past 80dB), and the H10 puts out some watts.... for my listening level the volume gain knob is set right around 9:00 on both the M1060 and TH-X00 PH (the H10 can push about 1 watt MORE max @50 ohm versus 25 ohm - 2.7W versus ~1.5W).

Start pushing the volume level up though and the TH-X00 PH starts distancing itself more from the M1060. Stock I would say the M1060 and TH-X00 PH are side grades, but modded I would put the TH-X00 PH above at a near summit-fi level.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #5,654 of 8,051
Got the fazors printed out on the pad side. Early impression is that they sound amazing. Unbelievably smooth. More so than the fuzzor mod. I had some velcro tape to put on top and threw on the stock pads on top. I'll be testing more but I'm enjoying the sound too much. Extremely immersive with the grill swap!
OR2GW9K.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back