Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #5,656 of 8,051
@cskippy I'll see what I can do to get a review pair out. I don't mind printing out an extra set if you don't mind sending them out to someone else to also test them out. I'd like some Youtubers like DMS3 TV or metal571 who expressed interest in M1060 mods to test them out as well to see how they like it. I just want these headphones to be the flagship killers they were supposed to be.

Slight revision of the fazor with a 4mm height instead of 5mm:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2536707
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2536714

Rushed measurement with a different phone so probably not accurate:
Ignore white lines as it's ambient sound.

Pad fazor+ V3 grill:
1lX00so.jpg

Comparisons:
Fuzzor mod:
rdMOtyM.jpg

Stock:
HsVMips.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #5,658 of 8,051
@PockyG I am very impressed. I'm curious. How more weight did that add though?

According to Cura, It's around 14g for the bottom fazor array and about 10g for the top plate using PLA so 24g for each side.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #5,659 of 8,051
I don't understand the reasoning for comparing speakers to headphones? They are completely different tools and do different things. I think you will always be disappointed if you are trying to get headphones to be "better" than speakers.

The reason I mentioned speakers is just to tell how I enjoy play EDMs on them compared to the M1060s due to their bass, not necessarily comparing them. I play every other genre on the M1060, its no contest.

I appreciate your insight regarding the correlation between equipment and bass. If I get it right, I just need to buy a TH-X00 to feel the bass in them. Got it! :ksc75smile: In all seriousness, I've been considering to buy a pair of closed-back cans for different genre anyways, so I'm glad your explanation makes a strong case for actually doing that.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #5,660 of 8,051
Can I ask,please, What do you mean by "feel the bass"?.
Non-confrontational here, I just have never "felt" the bass in any headphone, II have read about people that have stated that jaw and neck.. or even head were vibrating.
I am curious as to what that takes as well.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #5,661 of 8,051
Can I ask,please, What do you mean by "feel the bass"?.
Non-confrontational here, I just have never "felt" the bass in any headphone, II have read about people that have stated that jaw and neck.. or even head were vibrating.
I am curious as to what that takes as well.

My previous headphone prior to the M1060 is Sony MDR-XB950B, and if you play EDMs on it, the bass will literally vibrate your eardrums. All that it has is bass though. If you head over to this site and do the bass shaker test, and with the right cans, you can "feel the bass".

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #5,662 of 8,051
I will check it out.
The 2 channel, 7,1 room I really needed three 18" subwoofers with a kilo watt per to make that happen for me.
Then it really compresses the chest, but also shakes the gut.. and I feel it in my toes where they sit on the floor.
That is why I asked. I have to do that test soon. I have yet to have any headphone get that visceral. But I want to get there.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #5,663 of 8,051
I will check it out.
The 2 channel, 7,1 room I really needed three 18" subwoofers with a kilo watt per to make that happen for me.
Then it really compresses the chest, but also shakes the gut.. and I feel it in my toes where they sit on the floor.
That is why I asked. I have to do that test soon. I have yet to have any headphone get that visceral. But I want to get there.

Lmao. I don't think any headphones can achieve that. I own a small car, with upgraded 10 grand sound system and a full-blown subwoofer. I experience the exact thing you just described every time I play loud music on it lol.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #5,664 of 8,051
@PockyG I'm going to have to rescind my last request. My friend is going to be out of town and taking the M1060s with him. I'll be watching the progress though.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #5,665 of 8,051
Hey, guys. Got my M1060 two days ago and I can't say that I'm that much impressed. I have Senh HD600, Sony MA900, Fostex TH600... Clarity is there. mids are bit meh and highs kinda remind me my TH600. The biggest concern is lack of base. Also, comfort wise they are really not good and fatiguing (headband) :frowning2: for long time sessions (6-8 hours)

Just ordered vegans (gonna get them in 3-4 days) will try to do pad swaps and mod. Also, I wonder does anyone ever did headband swap to Audeze lather or carbon? Is it worth it? Will that improve comfort?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #5,666 of 8,051
Well the Carbon headband is something like $200 I believe. Another headband might be worth it but maybe just try pulling out the strap and flipping it upside down so the bumps aren't on your head.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #5,667 of 8,051
I kept finding it odd that people say the M1060 is lacking in bass when clearly it's there. I then remembered and realized with Yevgen's comment that most people are comparing orthodynamic vs traditional dynamic most of the time. I haven't been around that many headphones but I guess enough to know that there is a difference just like electrostatics are completely different from the other two. The only Planars that I felt came close to dynamics were the Audeze's, especially the LCD XC. But that's my thought. Maybe someone who is more seasoned and experienced than I am can either verify or clarify why there is such a controversy about bass among different headphones. I know sound is very subjective but I feel like a lot of the comments don't add up. Educate me :)

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #5,670 of 8,051
Another headband might be worth it but maybe just try pulling out the strap and flipping it upside down so the bumps aren't on your head.

It feels that headband makes that pleather cushion too flat.. and since my head is not flat i got this extra pressure point on top. If I will squeeze headband in to make pleather more round-shaped it feels MUCH more comfortable... but headband springs back :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back