Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Sep 13, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #5,611 of 8,051
My unit had a severe case of harsh highs, it was apparent on cymbals and vocals especially women voice. I thought I had a defective unit, but sending it back to Monolith is too much of a hassle, so I bought a pair of Vegan pads to remedy the issue. The highs were less harsh than before but it was still there. After looking around on the net, I found a reddit post that suggested to use duct tapes over the driver on the earpad. I experimented using a few types of tapes and found masking tape produces the best result for me. No more harsh highs, bass is a little bit better I think.

[/QUOTE]

What pads are those? I've also heard a lot about cases of harsh highs, you could always try the old toilet paper method

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #5,612 of 8,051
What pads are those? I've also heard a lot about cases of harsh highs, you could always try the old toilet paper method

Audeze Vegan pads. Of course I've tried the toilet paper mod, in fact I've tried some of its variants varying diameter sizes and materials (used some types of cloths), and I liked none of them in terms of sound signature. In the end I prefer no damping foam, it sounds more natural and blissful.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #5,613 of 8,051
Audeze Vegan pads. Of course I've tried the toilet paper mod, in fact I've tried some of its variants varying diameter sizes and materials (used some types of cloths), and I liked none of them in terms of sound signature. In the end I prefer no damping foam, it sounds more natural and blissful.
Thanks for the pads. I know what you mean, I've tried some dampening like the toilet paper in the T20RPs to try an remove the sibilantness, but it always makes them sound muddy

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #5,615 of 8,051
Actually I just realized that Vegan pads are getting hard to find. Where did you get them?

I bought it in a local store in Tokyo. I was so lucky that they happen to have the last unit laying around lol. To be honest, it was so expensive that I wish I didn't bought it in the first place. The stock pads on the M1060s are more comfortable and have better sound isolation (not that it has a meaning in an open back cans).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #5,616 of 8,051
I bought it in a local store in Tokyo. I was so lucky that they happen to have the last unit laying around lol. To be honest, it was so expensive that I wish I didn't bought it in the first place. The stock pads on the M1060s are much more comfortable and have much better sound isolation.
Yeah, they are a bit too expensive for me. I forgot they went for like $100. But you find the stock pads more comfortable, are they just softer in general? Just curious mostly.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #5,617 of 8,051
Yeah, they are a bit too expensive for me. I forgot they went for like $100. But you find the stock pads more comfortable, are they just softer in general? Just curious mostly.

In my opinion, the stock pads sit just nice on your ears than the Vegan. It has a more rigid body where the Vegan tends to move around and prone to being easily squeezed against your head. Though in a long session of listening you're sweating a lot with the stock pads, the Vegan has none of the problem.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #5,618 of 8,051
In my opinion, the stock pads sit just nice on your ears than the Vegan. It has a more rigid body where the Vegan tends to move around and prone to being easily squeezed against your head. Though in a long session of listening you're sweating a lot with the stock pads, the Vegan has none of the problem.
I personally find the stock pads to be very comfortable, the shape and form just hugs your head with the right clamping force. I wear them everyday for 4~5+ hours and had no issues, no 5K ringing for me or at least I don't hear it at all so don't see the need to change to vegan.
ZMF on Massdrop mentioned they are working on a suede type of pad for the Ori and Eikon, hopefully they can have those rolled out soon so that gives the community a cheaper option over the Audeze vegan pads.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #5,619 of 8,051
I personally find the stock pads to be very comfortable, the shape and form just hugs your head with the right clamping force. I wear them everyday for 4~5+ hours and had no issues, no 5K ringing for me or at least I don't hear it at all so don't see the need to change to vegan.
ZMF on Massdrop mentioned they are working on a suede type of pad for the Ori and Eikon, hopefully they can have those rolled out soon so that gives the community a cheaper option over the Audeze vegan pads.

Interesting, so do you think it varies model to model whether there is a 5K ring?

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #5,620 of 8,051
Interesting, so do you think it varies model to model whether there is a 5K ring?
The shape of the ear canal and how sensitive one perceive sound is very different. I don't hear it doesn't necessarily mean is not happening with my pair, could be just me not hearing it.
Sound is very subjective and to each their own YMMV.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #5,621 of 8,051
The shape of the ear canal and how sensitive one perceive sound is very different. I don't hear it doesn't necessarily mean is not happening with my pair, could be just me not hearing it.
Sound is very subjective and to each their own YMMV.

Yeah that's true, just wondering since there were many issues with the 1060 on launch

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #5,622 of 8,051
Yeah that's true, just wondering since there were many issues with the 1060 on launch
After rev.2 all the 'major' issues are fixed properly, majority of the discussion are with the 5k ringing that most people encountered.
Give it a try, if the sound don't appeal to you return it and move on, there are better headphones but the 1060 performance exceeds its asking price.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #5,623 of 8,051
My unit had a severe case of harsh highs, it was apparent on cymbals and vocals especially women voice. I thought I had a defective unit, but sending it back to Monolith is too much of a hassle, so I bought a pair of Vegan pads to remedy the issue. The highs were less harsh than before but it was still there. After looking around on the net, I found a reddit post that suggested to use duct tapes over the driver on the earpad. I experimented using a few types of tapes and found masking tape produces the best result for me. No more harsh highs, bass is a little bit better I think.

EDIT: I just realized you're the one who helped me a lot about M1060 and audiophile in general on the headphones subreddit. Such a small world lol.

Hah nice, glad I was able to help you out and looks like you worked out a good mod for your needs. These are great cans for sure and lucky you found some vegans these day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back