Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5,236 of 8,051
Thanks David this proves that my friend was write Planar transducers like dynamics and electrostatic do have a varying with frequency value therefore they do have complex impedance that makes them difficult to drive. If they were resistive the value will remain constant across the entire frequency range.

I am not sure what you were reading, but here is a couple of direct quotes from Tyll at that link:

"As such, planar magnetic headphones are almost purely restive in nature, and have little reactive properties when driven..."

"In the Audeze LCD-3 plot above, you can see that the impedance plot is nearly ruler flat at about 115 Ohms. This is typical of planar magnetic headphones. "
He also mentions the OPPO PM-1 which uses a coil like structure rather than the ones more typical of Hifiman, Audeze, and yes, the M1060.

Still the curve for the OPPO, while it shows more deviation from flat, is still much, much flatter than any dynamic driver.

Possibly take another look at the content at that link. Your friend is right, when talking about dynamic drivers. Ask him specifically about Planar Magnetic drivers some day.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #5,237 of 8,051
Quite true with dynamic drivers. They are a motor and due to motion will produce counter EMF .. different at different frequencies. Complex impedance with varying reactive and capacitive components versus frequency. Yes the impedance specification for these is more a generalization than a true specification. Some of the graphs will show dips below the rated number and peaks sometimes an order of magnitude or more higher at resonance. I have seen 8 ohm dynamic speakers with impedance peaks of well over 90 ohms at resonance.

In contrast, Check out Tyll's impedance graphs for any of the planars. You will invariably see a flat horizontal line.

Why Planars are hard to dive?? I have never thought about it. Possibly the efficiency issue is due to the strength of the magnets and distance from the "coils". But inefficiency does not mean they have any level of a complex impedance.
I was looking at frequency impedance graphs that I thought they were for Orthos when in fact they were for dynamics. I am very sorry. You were right the Orho graphs were ruler flat indicating they are purely resistive. As I said you guys are very kind and I am enjoying the fact that every time i get here i am lerning something new.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #5,238 of 8,051
Am I the only one who's enjoying them stock? I'm not hearing any ringing in the highs and they sound good to me

I also have hd 650's and while I prefer them for vocals, I feel like the m1060's are more versatile for listening to a variety of genres

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5,239 of 8,051
Am I the only one who's enjoying them stock? I'm not hearing any ringing in the highs and they sound good to me

I also have hd 650's and while I prefer them for vocals, I feel like the m1060's are more versatile for listening to a variety of genres

You are not the only one. I love them stock, no 5k spike for me.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #5,240 of 8,051
Why Planars are hard to dive?? I have never thought about it....

For dynamic drivers, coil density dominates the "power to drive" equation, and coil density = coil length = resistance, measured in ohms. The thinner the coil wire, the higher the coil density, the longer the total coil wire length, the higher the resistance. Impedance is, basically, resistance in an AC circuit. In order to "drive" this sort of setup, you need to overcome the resistance. Voltage / Current = Resistance. You need amps with more power (which is Voltage * Current) in order to drive that Resistance.

So why do ortho drivers feel hard to drive even when they report lower resistances sometimes? It turns out "driving" has both quantity and quality vectors. There's volume (pure total wattage), and there's accuracy and speed in transitioning voltage or current.

Fast, precise coil control in a dynamic driver that produces the right air waves to reproduce sound requires very precise voltage control that transition very quickly in order to produce the right potential differences to move the coil. Orthos don't have any coils. They work by powering electromagnets quickly to precise levels via wattage and require fast, precise current control.

Some amps are better at voltage control than current control, and other amps vice versa. So while an amp can possibly advertise the power to drive certain drivers to satisfying volumes, if they can't change the current fast and accurately enough, they won't drive orthos as well.

Solid states are faster and much more accurate at voltage and current transitions than tube amps. But it is that poorer performance in tube amps that produce the "tubey" distortions in tonality at various frequencies that people claim they like (while claiming they also like resolution, clarity, and neutrality. The cognitive dissonance...). This is also why tube amps pair "better" with, say, slow Sennheiser drivers, than fast orthos.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #5,242 of 8,051
Just finished the first print for first iteration of grille for the M1060...

i-jq55Pkn-X3.jpg

i-8pqVNbg-X3.jpg

i-TZdX5TZ-X3.jpg

Second one is printing now...will take about 3.5 hours to be done... little heavy @ ~28grams versus the 15.35 grams for a stock one, will see about reducing some wall thickness. This is not how the final will look, just the first stab at it.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #5,244 of 8,051
Nice Prusa i3 mk2. Wish I had the dough for one of those!

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #5,245 of 8,051
Just finished the first print for first iteration of grille for the M1060...

i-jq55Pkn-X3.jpg

i-8pqVNbg-X3.jpg

i-TZdX5TZ-X3.jpg

Second one is printing now...will take about 3.5 hours to be done... little heavy @ ~28grams versus the 15.35 grams for a stock one, will see about reducing some wall thickness. This is not how the final will look, just the first stab at it.

Amazing work man, I had the same idea, I was planning on making the grill similar to a hifiman SHANGRI with wide grills. Looking forward to see your final product

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #5,246 of 8,051
Finished results of first design:

i-XX3PhCP.jpg

i-NjCcDpQ.jpg

i-4ZXcWMh.jpg

Stock grilles are 15.35g each, these custom printed ones are 22.83 grams (not ~28 grams as previously mentioned), so headphone is ~15 grams heavier with these. Have a second iteration in work that will reduce the weight and further refine everything.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #5,247 of 8,051
Yeah those do seem quite thicker than necessary.

Would be interesting to see them printed in wood infused filament for a better match too.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #5,249 of 8,051
Hey anyone know the screw size/type for the grills? Lost a screw or two when trying one of the mods

I would just take one of the screws you have to a Lowe's or Home Depot, and match them up. They usually have a very large selection of different screws, so you should be able to find a match.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #5,250 of 8,051
Finished results of first design:

i-XX3PhCP.jpg

i-NjCcDpQ.jpg

i-4ZXcWMh.jpg

Stock grilles are 15.35g each, these custom printed ones are 22.83 grams (not ~28 grams as previously mentioned), so headphone is ~15 grams heavier with these. Have a second iteration in work that will reduce the weight and further refine everything.

I don't know anything about 3D printing. How much does it cost to make a set of these grills? Once you nail down the design, is there a chance you would sell these? They are very cool looking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back