Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 14, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #5,221 of 8,051
@kintsaki, the article you linked to was a good read but the comparisons were to older models like the HE400/500 and probably the LCD-2.1/2.2 (pre Fazor models). I have a HE400 but its highly modded and to me sounds better than my HE400i. The difference between the pre-Fazor and Fazor LCD-2/3 is very noticeable, if you like the laid back smooth mellow sound then you really want the pre-Fazor version and even then there are differences between the 2014-Dec 2015 Fazor and the 2016 Fazor. The M1060 that I tried was closest to the LCD-2.1, very warm with rolled of highs and to be a little boring at the level that I listen to.
Thanks a lot. We seem to have similar life backgrounds and tastes and preferences. My next phone to try
will be a Hifiman. My DJ friend and the music professor want me to sell them my M1060.
Does this low cost(170$) Hexxi employ fazor or equivalent technology (like the flow or the virtual magnet etc.)?

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,222 of 8,051
The HE4XX is a Massdrop special and it doesn't have the Fazor technology since the Fazor technology is from Audeze, MrSpeakers has similar tech with their "Flow" innovation.
Here is a picture my HE400i driver:
HE400i driver.jpg
It looks nothing like the M1060 or Audeze

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #5,224 of 8,051
Hey guys I am beginning to love this thread because you are all very polite and I do learn things from you. I must also apologize for my roughness and try to keep my tone down.

2) The stock M1060 at low level is boring veiled etc. exactly as DavidA described.
In addition when driven by low power amps (true 0.1 Watt output) again it sounds veiled boring etc. With true 0.35 Watt (true means at all frequencies at all complex impedances not resistances) in balanced mode it wakes up and sounds hard, shooty, with treble completely out of control and with bass sometimes great and other times anemic.
So unless you are willing to experiment with mods and have a good amp with outstanding damping factor to control the bass stay away. (Many 1 or 2 Watt amps can’t deliver to low complex impedance or don’t have robust power supplies to keep the dumping factor high)

/

Planar drivers do not generally have complex impedance curves. They are pretty much flat and almost purely resistive. Meaning, of course, they vary little with frequency. Also meaning that they are not a complex load at all.
Dynamic drivers are perhaps what you are thinking of... ??
Of course, in general a better amp will give better results.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #5,225 of 8,051
Just mailed back my m1060s for warranty replacement. I did do a pad swap but reversed it. So lets hope no issues.

I still haven't gotten reply from customer support :frowning2:

Has anyone else compared the ZMF pads to the Audeze pads? Farther back into the thread. Mr.tie did many tests with different pads, and I believe he concluded that Vegans were his preference.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #5,226 of 8,051

Has anyone else compared the ZMF pads to the Audeze pads? Farther back into the thread. Mr.tie did many tests with different pads, and I believe he concluded that Vegans were his preference.

I contacted customer support via chat. They emailed me the RMA tag and shipping label that moment.

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #5,229 of 8,051
Planar drivers do not generally have complex impedance curves. They are pretty much flat and almost purely resistive. Meaning, of course, they vary little with frequency. Also meaning that they are not a complex load at all.
Dynamic drivers are perhaps what you are thinking of... ??
Of course, in general a better amp will give better results.

I assumed that they have complex impedance because they are so hard to drive. With 50 ohm and 87db/mW
my 320mw should should take them to 110db which it does not and it does clip badly, while it has no problem
with all my other phones. So I assumed that like estats with mostly capacitive impedance they might have inductive
even though the magnets are not anywhere in the circuit.
Can you explain why they are so hard to drive. A friend of mine that designs and builds tube amps that are
modeled as current sources insists that all transducers have mostly complex impedance that vary widely with
the program material and the nominal rating spec is mainly the resistive part.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #5,231 of 8,051
I assumed that they have complex impedance because they are so hard to drive. With 50 ohm and 87db/mW
my 320mw should should take them to 110db which it does not and it does clip badly, while it has no problem
with all my other phones. So I assumed that like estats with mostly capacitive impedance they might have inductive
Can you explain why they are so hard to drive. A friend of mine that designs and builds tube amps that are
modeled as current sources insists that all transducers have mostly complex impedance that vary widely with
This might be of interest to you: https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...ents-explained-electrical-impedance-and-phase

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #5,232 of 8,051
Aug 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5,233 of 8,051

I recently received the ZMF Eikon pads and expect to do some more critical listening this weekend. I'll post an impression then but from a comfort stand point I can say that the Audeze vegan pads are hands down the most comfortable from all of my headphones.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #5,234 of 8,051
I recently received the ZMF Eikon pads and expect to do some more critical listening this weekend. I'll post an impression then but from a comfort stand point I can say that the Audeze vegan pads are hands down the most comfortable from all of my headphones.
While the Audeze pads on my LCD-2 are comfortable they are not even close to the alcantara pads of my HD700 and SRH-1840 for comfort, mainly since the vegan/leather don't breath as well as the alcantara fabric and here in Hawaii its quite muggy but not as hot as Texas I imagine.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #5,235 of 8,051
Quite true with dynamic drivers. They are a motor and due to motion will produce counter EMF .. different at different frequencies. Complex impedance with varying reactive and capacitive components versus frequency. Yes the impedance specification for these is more a generalization than a true specification. Some of the graphs will show dips below the rated number and peaks sometimes an order of magnitude or more higher at resonance. I have seen 8 ohm dynamic speakers with impedance peaks of well over 90 ohms at resonance.

In contrast, Check out Tyll's impedance graphs for any of the planars. You will invariably see a flat horizontal line.

Why Planars are hard to dive?? I have never thought about it. Possibly the efficiency issue is due to the strength of the magnets and distance from the "coils". But inefficiency does not mean they have any level of a complex impedance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back