Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 10, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #421 of 8,051
This may seem like a weird question..but does anybody who has the M560's also have the Fidelio X2's? How do they compare? I just purchased the X2's and a couple hours after I was browsing online and actually got a targeted ad for the M560's and they look like an exceptional value. I'm really looking for whichever one is going to have a better low-end bass than anything tbh. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #422 of 8,051
This may seem like a weird question..but does anybody who has the M560's also have the Fidelio X2's? How do they compare? I just purchased the X2's and a couple hours after I was browsing online and actually got a targeted ad for the M560's and they look like an exceptional value. I'm really looking for whichever one is going to have a better low-end bass than anything tbh. 

What is your budget? If you want great bass, the Fostex TH-X00 series is truly magical. I have the Ebonies ($499), but the Mahogany ($399), and Purpleheart ($449) are also very similar and cheaper. There are reviews of all 3 if you want insanely good and deep bass.

Planar drivers are very different sounding to dynamic drivers. From what I've personally heard, each company has a house sound that usually goes through their lineup, but at each price point the sound just gets better.

I very recently purchased a Hifiman Edition X, V2. I like a more laid back sound, and once I listened to them, I HAD to own them. The meet was Sunday, I owned a used pair the next day.

Personally if you are only in the $200-$300 range, I would wait for the M1060, and see if the extra $100 is worth it. From specs, it should be a huge upgrade with the driver doubling in size.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #423 of 8,051

What is your budget? If you want great bass, the Fostex TH-X00 series is truly magical. I have the Ebonies ($499), but the Mahogany ($399), and Purpleheart ($449) are also very similar and cheaper. There are reviews of all 3 if you want insanely good and deep bass.

Planar drivers are very different sounding to dynamic drivers. From what I've personally heard, each company has a house sound that usually goes through their lineup, but at each price point the sound just gets better.

I very recently purchased a Hifiman Edition X, V2. I like a more laid back sound, and once I listened to them, I HAD to own them. The meet was Sunday, I owned a used pair the next day.

Personally if you are only in the $200-$300 range, I would wait for the M1060, and see if the extra $100 is worth it. From specs, it should be a huge upgrade with the driver doubling in size.

I agree with mbyrnes with 1 exception.......I consider HD6XX to slot inbetween X2 and TH-X00. The Massdrop HD6XX is an absolute STEAL at $200! It won't have quite the low rumble of X2 nor the wide soundstage, but the overall sound is MUCH more clear than X2. However, good luck waiting for it to drop again :/

I don't own M560, but I'm waiting for the big-brother M1060 :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #424 of 8,051
Well, my budget was essentially $250. I got the X2's and jesus christ do they leak sound like CRAZY. I've had my fair share of open back cans but these are like listening to the music on speakers when they're playing. 

Not sure if that's going to be something that works for me - so I am still curious about the M560, potentially their bigger brother - but only if bass isn't severely lacking. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #425 of 8,051
  Well, my budget was essentially $250. I got the X2's and jesus christ do they leak sound like CRAZY. I've had my fair share of open back cans but these are like listening to the music on speakers when they're playing. 

Not sure if that's going to be something that works for me - so I am still curious about the M560, potentially their bigger brother - but only if bass isn't severely lacking. 

Meze 99 Classics and Master and Dynamic MH40 are both headphones to look into. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #426 of 8,051

I am probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but the Status CB1 is not to be underestimated. I really, really like them, especially for the money. They have a similar sound tot he X2, but I probably like them even better 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #427 of 8,051
  I am probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but the Status CB1 is not to be underestimated. I really, really like them, especially for the money. They have a similar sound tot he X2, but I probably like them even better 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the X2's and Status Audio CB-1 (the CB-1's are F.S.). The reproduce the frequency range in a roughly similar way (neither is bright; both do bass well; both allow long listening sessions w/o burnout). But the CB-1's are closed, with the privacy capacity that implies.

You could also do well by spending less than 1/3 of your budget on any of the 4 or 5 clones of the ISK MDH9000 (I have the Marantz MPH-2's, also had the LyxPro HAS-30's--identical sound). Somewhat bassy (not extremely so) and otherwise relatively flat and very ear-friendly, also rather comfortable.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #428 of 8,051
smily_headphones1.gif

I looked into them but I really don't like headphones that require me to adjust anything. I'm super into the automatic adjustments. Do you really think they're comparable in sound quality? $80 headphones vs the $250 I spent on the X2's? I'm starting to like the X2's more and more and they're build quality and materials is phenomenal but if I can get similar sound for 1/3 of the price then I may consider them. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #429 of 8,051
I'd also be interested in any headphones that rivals the soundstage of the X2's to a third of their price....

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #431 of 8,051
Feb 12, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #432 of 8,051
Your senses are correct, I'd love to be proven wrong though
wink.gif

We need a little clarity here...the comment that started this was "I got the X2's and jesus christ do they leak sound like CRAZY. I've had my fair share of open back cans but these are like listening to the music on speakers when they're playing."

I an another poster suggested closed back alternatives to the X2's--with frequency range reproduction approximately comparable to the X2's--but that avoid the sound leakage issue.

I don't believe (and I don't think anyone here believes) these closed back alteratives "rival the soundstage of the X2's." If that's the standard to be met here, I wouldn't have suggested the Status Audio CB-1 or any of the ISK MDH9000 clones. Their soundstaging is decent for closed back designs, but not as good as the X2's.

Another way to say the same thing: if there are any headphones that rival the soundstaging of the X2's, but are just 1/3 their price--they would almost certainly be open back, or semi-open back designs.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #433 of 8,051
So at the end of the day - I guess my real question is whether or not anybody knows if the extra $50 spent on the Fidelio X2's vs the M560's translates to a better overall sound and bass - Or if the Fidelio is an overall better pair of cans. It seems like they're both really solid in the build quality department. 

I'll be honest - the sound leak on the X2 is bothering me less and less as time goes on. It hasn't turned out to be a deal breaker as of yet. I was concerned at full volume it'd be so loud it'd wake someone if they were in our guest room but I don't think it will. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #434 of 8,051
  So at the end of the day - I guess my real question is whether or not anybody knows if the extra $50 spent on the Fidelio X2's vs the M560's translates to a better overall sound and bass - Or if the Fidelio is an overall better pair of cans. It seems like they're both really solid in the build quality department. 

I'll be honest - the sound leak on the X2 is bothering me less and less as time goes on. It hasn't turned out to be a deal breaker as of yet. I was concerned at full volume it'd be so loud it'd wake someone if they were in our guest room but I don't think it will. 

Bear in mind that I haven't heard the M560's--and I definitely have heard the X2's.

So I went back and reread some posts here about the M560's:

Post #173 & 177

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/165

My very first reaction was: wow pretty bright; peak in the highs; sibilant, harsh (I think the same thing about stock HD800's)

I think with them being so bright, the rest of the spectrum seems low. The mids are OK, but missing lower mids or body.

The bass is extended, but again just not that much bass. So the net result is an overall "lean" sound.

The thing is, I have to turn down the volume so the highs don't hurt my ears... If I listen to say piano or acapella singing, then the mids aren't bad. Still not enough bass, but they sound OK.

Post #184
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/180

Post #200
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/195

I didn't keep going. It may well be that they sounded a lot better when finally burned in...

What I can say is that the Fidelio X2's are well known here for great build, good soundstaging, and a relatively warm/listenable sound quality. They're not state of the art detail- or treble-cannons, but if they were, I wouldn't own them. I really can't think of another big-name headphone that is the total package the X2 is. And you already own them (no small thing).

By comparison, the M560's appear (at best) to be a sonic work-in-progress. If they sound better burned in, still, they're probably brighter than the X2's. If that's you thing, then they might be just the ticket.

I lost interest in the M560's, partly because of what people said about them here; also because I now have planar headphones w/the perfect sound signature for my tastes (ZMF Ori). Still interested in the 1060 if/when it ever actually launches.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #435 of 8,051

We need a little clarity here...the comment that started this was "I got the X2's and jesus christ do they leak sound like CRAZY. I've had my fair share of open back cans but these are like listening to the music on speakers when they're playing."

I an another poster suggested closed back alternatives to the X2's--with frequency range reproduction approximately comparable to the X2's--but that avoid the sound leakage issue.

I don't believe (and I don't think anyone here believes) these closed back alteratives "rival the soundstage of the X2's." If that's the standard to be met here, I wouldn't have suggested the Status Audio CB-1 or any of the ISK MDH9000 clones. Their soundstaging is decent for closed back designs, but not as good as the X2's.

Another way to say the same thing: if there are any headphones that rival the soundstaging of the X2's, but are just 1/3 their price--they would almost certainly be open back, or semi-open back designs.

Truth spoken here. I was going to chime in with a suggestion of the TH-X00 family, but not with a $250-ish budget, unfortunately. And they as well won't equal X2 soundstage......but surpass it in pretty much every other metric.

Woah, dude.....turn it down! Your ears will thank me later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back