Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #391 of 8,051
  So this page says the M1060 is coming 'Winter 2017', and this page says 'ETA: 2/9/2017' any idea which is accurate?

I'd guess that somebody is thinking 2/9/2017 is Winter of 2017. Their stock availability projections for new products have been hit and miss in my experience. I waited what seemed like years for their tube guitar amplifiers to be available. The ETA date kept getting pushed back. That said, this date has been pretty stable, so hopefully it's accurate.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #392 of 8,051

I'd guess that somebody is thinking 2/9/2017 is Winter of 2017. Their stock availability projections for new products have been hit and miss in my experience. I waited what seemed like years for their tube guitar amplifiers to be available. The ETA date kept getting pushed back. That said, this date has been pretty stable, so hopefully it's accurate.

That makes sense, it just flew over my head as I normally associate winter with Q4.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #394 of 8,051

and i want them to sound like a clone of the big planars just at a fraction of the price :p

I don't even know what the big planars sound like, but I agree with you!

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #395 of 8,051
That makes sense, it just flew over my head as I normally associate winter with Q4.

Tons of people do, you're not alone. Since winter doesn't technically start until 12/21, winter is really quarter 1, ending March 20th.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #396 of 8,051
I checked the page just now and the estimate seems to have slipped to 2/24/17.  I've been watching it pretty closely because I'm very curious about these before I make my next big headphone purchase.  

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #398 of 8,051
M1060

From obvious external cosmetics likened to both HiFiMan & Audeze as we all noticed from day 1, it will be interesting when folks get the M1060 and tear it apart to compare the internals.

The 106 mm driver may or may not be the same driver seen in the Audeze LCD-2, 3, X or XC models (106 mm planar magnetic).

At first, just based on planar tech & price, I likened the M1060 (106 mm driver) to either the EL-8 or more likely the HE-400s, possibly HE-400i, but those all have smaller drivers. Still, final sound is the ultimate factor.

Am hoping the M1060 will fit soundwise near the HE-400i, doubtful it would reach HE-560, which scales wonderfully great with proper amplification, yielding remarkable results, and giving upward respect to HE-6 properly amped. The HE-560 just opens up & reaches higher audio levels with better & finer amplification. We need to test the M1060 this way also. If the M1060 gets near the HE-560 it will be a true stunner (doubtful), but  also think the whole sound signature may be different.

A-B testing of all these models will be interesting with the M1060; just on a hunch am thinking it might be nearer, yet not quite to the level of an LCD-2, but not a HE-560. It may be around an HE-400s or possibly near an HE-400i; who knows yet, it might just edge it out. Still tending to think this M1060 sonically may more closely approach a "junior" LCD-2, yet all is speculation.

Have seen very few M560 comparisons to HiFiMan already to note; waiting for pro reviews also, hopefully soon.

We won't know until folks rip the M1060 open to compare and do A-B listening tests very fairly.

If it sits between an HE-400i and HE-560 (really wishful thinking), I would buy the M1060; think it may be nearer a Audeze signature instead though, which many folks would enjoy at it's price who like the Audeze signature moreso than the HiFiMan signature.

If so, hopefully the driver failure issue is no longer a concern and these have fresh updated drivers.

At this price, it may be the lowest price "best (based on price)" entry planar headphone...we'll soon see , and hope too !

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #399 of 8,051
Would you mind describing what you view to be the difference between the HE-560 vs the LCD-2 signature?  My only experience with planars are modified Fostex T50RP.   I know price isn't everything, but based on your description it sounds like you very much prefer the less expensive HE-560 over the pricier Audeze.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #400 of 8,051
Quote:
  Would you mind describing what you view to be the difference between the HE-560 vs the LCD-2 signature?  My only experience with planars are modified Fostex T50RP.   I know price isn't everything, but based on your description it sounds like you very much prefer the less expensive HE-560 over the pricier Audeze.

The modded T50RP can sound good & there are a few modded versions around. And to answer -

Most all planars have a warmer sound signature, but very few have a brighter signature, and although I don't like to use the descriptive term "bright", feeling it is misleading, it is a term often used to distinguish from warm. Some feel bright means a bad connotation, but it's just a poor term, anyway...(using the term here) - the HE-560 has a brighter, rather than warmer signature. Liken it sorta as a planar sound analogy closer to the comparison of dynamic HD800 or HD800"s", to the HD650, as far as brighter than warmer.

Being that I most enjoy electrostatic headphones, the HE560 planar sound appeals to me. Granted, the HE-6 is a better overall performer.

Soundwise briefly, the HE-560 is bright, has fast bass, detailed mids & sparkling, brilliant highs. Bass extension & quality is very good and nicely layered. It really responds better to finer amps.

The LCD-2 is warm, has lush mids, very strong & deep bass with heavy impact, but the bass is not as fast, and is slower in transients & decay. The high end rolls off at the top.

Many folks prefer the warmer approach for long sessions with less fatigue, but if a brighter headphone is properly tuned by the mfr & properly amp'd by the user - a great brighter headphone also should not cause fatigue, when done right. That said though, some folks are very sensitive to some frequencies in the high range, preferring a warmer signature, while others are not sensitive to these peaks & may or may not like the brighter signature, based on preference.

This is just a summary, it's been a long time since hearing the LCD-2 to recall it's imaging & soundstage width-depth-heigth, but I do own HE-560 in my collection, among other planars.

Prices for Audeze characteristically show a lot of mark-up; some HiFiMan prices recently have dropped nicely, such as HE-560 and HE-400"i" (a great value buy for it's performance).

The totl flagships for both brands are costly. These 2 brands and models pointed out in post #398 were mentioned only because the Monoprice Monolith M1060 may share some parts of these brands or their oem suppliers, yet so far it seems the driver may be closer to an Audeze rather than a HiFiMan based on specs only, purely speculative. There are other brands of planars, but we just don't know yet if those have anything in common with the Monoprice yet. We'll soon know when folks get the M1060 & then open them apart to compare drivers and internal tuning, dampening, etc to both Audeze & HiFiMan, maybe even other brands too.

Also, soon we may see folks disassembling their M560 they have now, to see if the parts, especially drivers, are similar to other brands' models.

The M1060 may be an excellent performer per dollar & I may consider getting one after the reviews come out, depending on where it sits against the competition. So far, it may seem to become a mid-fi value if it sounds good & we are hoping so ! If the sound is great & per dollar undercuts the competition, that is most welcome in our hobby where prices (noted totl flagships) are too high.

Hope this helps.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #401 of 8,051
Also, to note, lately branded name Audeze LCD-2 "B-stock" refurbished sets direct from Audeze have been selling at $499 (last seen 11/30/16). Adorama at that time had great prices on new 1st quality sets too.

So, the new selling price of M1060 Monoprice isn't light years apart, when we look at LCD-2 "B-stock" being cleared out in smaller quantities direct from Audeze.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #402 of 8,051
Well I love my Monolith 560's, they just came in the mail today. I love the small case they fit in to, they have more soundstage and more bass than HE-400i by quite a lot.  My only issue is there is no way to adjust the tightness, they are quite loose on my head.  If anyone knows how to tighten them up, I would appreciate it, thanks.

I will be skipping the 1060's since they require a more powerful amp, my schiit fulla 2 drives the 560's with ease though, great pairing. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #403 of 8,051
@caenlenfromOCN If you take the headphones and pull the ear pieces opposite of each other like a bow, it should tighten them up. I had to do this a few times to get a better clamp while on the head. Still not as tight as I would like them but better then before. I am pretty impressed with the M560. After a few days of breaking in, they sound pretty damn good. Not as good as my LCD-2's but close. Just wish they clamped better on the head.

- Garrett

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #404 of 8,051
  @caenlenfromOCN If you take the headphones and pull the ear pieces opposite of each other like a bow, it should tighten them up. I had to do this a few times to get a better clamp while on the head. Still not as tight as I would like them but better then before. I am pretty impressed with the M560. After a few days of breaking in, they sound pretty damn good. Not as good as my LCD-2's but close. Just wish they clamped better on the head.

- Garrett

Nice to hear I am not alone, thanks for the tip.  I think they sound loads better than HE-400i.

I am very tempted to pick up the 1060's... I am still in refund period for 560's, just worried my Fulla 2 will not be powerful enough for 1060's, but I don't even have to go to noon on my knob for them make the 560's to loud... so maybe I will get lucky on that.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #405 of 8,051
Anyone started to look into changing out the ear pads? Something that is thicker and more comfortable. My only complaint about the M560 is that after a few hours of wearing them, the area around my ears start to get sore. The thicker pads may also help with getting a better seal / more clamping.

- Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back