Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 22, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #406 of 8,051
  Anyone started to look into changing out the ear pads? Something that is thicker and more comfortable. My only complaint about the M560 is that after a few hours of wearing them, the area around my ears start to get sore. The thicker pads may also help with getting a better seal / more clamping.

- Garrett

I'm considering leaving stock pads on, but adding some hM5 leather on top of the stock pads, so sort of putting them on while its on my head, if it ends up working out and giving more clamp as well, and leaves sound still good, I may just gorilla glue them on top of the stock pads. lol  we'll see.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #408 of 8,051
Wish we could get some more impressions of these headphones.

So far there seem to be 3 camps:

They suck

They're okay but nothing special, and

These are the new flagships for the $200 and under headphones.

Although it seems like the middle camp is comparing it to headphones that are well out of the price range.

What are some headphones in the $200 range that are close to or better than the M560s?  Any thoughts?

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #409 of 8,051

They suck

Although it seems like the middle camp is comparing it to headphones that are well out of the price range.

What are some headphones in the $200 range that are close to or better than the M560s?  Any thoughts?

Since linking other blogs are not allowed here.. but googling will leading you to some reviews and they are favourable. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #410 of 8,051

They suck

A good pair if headphones in the $200-$250 range are the Hifiman Edition S. Just like the 560, they feature an open and closed mode. Good frequency range, good bass. Good all around portable headphone. My go to for on the go instruments,vocals,Country,anything other then hip hop or contemporary R&B they do well there as well, but I specifically use the V-Moda M100 for those genres. More bass impact

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #411 of 8,051
  Since linking other blogs are not allowed here.. but googling will leading you to some reviews and they are favourable. 

Oh believe me, I've read up on all the reviews posted online.  Most of them don't get into specifics with comparisons though.  I'd like to know how they compare to a host of ~$150-250 cans.

A good pair if headphones in the $200-$250 range are the Hifiman Edition S. Just like the 560, they feature an open and closed mode. Good frequency range, good bass. Good all around portable headphone. My go to for on the go instruments,vocals,Country,anything other then hip hop or contemporary R&B they do well there as well, but I specifically use the V-Moda M100 for those genres. More bass impact

How do the HE-S compare to the 400i, since those are routinely available for <$250 used?

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #412 of 8,051
Oh believe me, I've read up on all the reviews posted online.  Most of them don't get into specifics with comparisons though.  I'd like to know how they compare to a host of ~$150-250 cans.

How do the HE-S compare to the 400i, since those are routinely available for <$250 used?
Haven't listened to 400i. BTW,HE-S isn't planar. Its a very capable dynamic by a planar company.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #414 of 8,051
  For sure.  At this point I'm probably just going to wait for the 1060s to see how good they are.

Yeah, I am ordering a 1060 as soon as it hits in stock status. It may very well be my end game, Monoprice is a highly underrated company imo. Everything I get from them exceeds my expectations, even there studio monitor speakers are absolutely amazing in sound quality.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #415 of 8,051
Yeah, I am ordering a 1060 as soon as it hits in stock status. It may very well be my end game, Monoprice is a highly underrated company imo. Everything I get from them exceeds my expectations, even there studio monitor speakers are absolutely amazing in sound quality.

Yep. I sort of feel like the m560s might not be enough of an upgrade from my ultrasones. I'm hoping the 1060s have a good soundstage and imaging, otherwise I might look at others in that range.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #417 of 8,051
I'm in the camp hoping the 1060's are a rough approximation of the LCD-2 at a lower price. My budget won't allow for LCD-2's, even at B-Stock prices.

Fair warning: if you witnessed the crash of Massdrop's website during the HD6XX release, I'm sad to report Monoprice's website did the same thing to me during a pre-Christmas sale.

In the Massdrop case, I barely squeaked in before the website was in its' death throes. In the Monoprice case, I wasn't so lucky and my payment info didn't go through. I was browsing the site a couple days later and noticed the transaction was still active in my account. The item I was trying to buy showed as OOS, but I decided to try anyway. Entered my payment info, and it was a little slow, but the item shipped :)

Don't be shocked if Monoprice's website goes wonky at the 1060 release.

I'm actually debating if I should get the 1060's, or spend about the same money upgrading my X00 Purplehearts to TH900 drivers and recabling (and redoing Lawton Tune-Up Kit). Thoughts?

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #418 of 8,051
  I'm in the camp hoping the 1060's are a rough approximation of the LCD-2 at a lower price. My budget won't allow for LCD-2's, even at B-Stock prices.

Fair warning: if you witnessed the crash of Massdrop's website during the HD6XX release, I'm sad to report Monoprice's website did the same thing to me during a pre-Christmas sale.

In the Massdrop case, I barely squeaked in before the website was in its' death throes. In the Monoprice case, I wasn't so lucky and my payment info didn't go through. I was browsing the site a couple days later and noticed the transaction was still active in my account. The item I was trying to buy showed as OOS, but I decided to try anyway. Entered my payment info, and it was a little slow, but the item shipped :)

Don't be shocked if Monoprice's website goes wonky at the 1060 release.

I'm actually debating if I should get the 1060's, or spend about the same money upgrading my X00 Purplehearts to TH900 drivers and recabling (and redoing Lawton Tune-Up Kit). Thoughts?

I'd do the former. You'd have a complementary headphone, plus PH -> TH900 should not be that different as they are both biocellulose drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back