Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Nov 3, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #887 of 1,409
Yep, me too, it's just the most noticeable instrument to me that shows where the driver is still wonked...anyway 1070 out 7 weeks or something.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #888 of 1,409
Nov 4, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #889 of 1,409
Not that I remember...2C was a mellow presentation and 2CB had more of a faster bite to it...but not that "bloom overhang type thing"
with piano strikes.
Is there a specific track where I can test this? I don't seem to hear that.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #890 of 1,409
Is there a specific track where I can test this? I don't seem to hear that.
Are you running them stock closed, rear cups and rear stock damping off ..(also aftermarket grills on or just open-back unprotected except mesh over the planar... ) or that 3rd mod you posted above ? Because I'm at step 2, so ignoring gear upstream (which obviously you really can't) we'd not even have a baseline similar set of cans assuming tight production tolerances avoiding wide variations in FRs....
Your further mod posted above for soundstage may remove this bloom/ringing with piano strikes along with the primary goal on SStage.

I listen to mostly electronic music, so I'll have to let it come up again as I listen to stuff as piano elements are just sprinkled in here-and-there. It could also be synth piano strikes causing it so I'd maybe have to dig up 'real world' piano strike mastering.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #891 of 1,409
6FD9B445-985D-4E55-8B43-FD2ABED4F943.jpeg
B1E668DA-B689-4B54-89CE-A2FB7C544769.jpeg
Are you running them stock closed, rear cups and rear stock damping off ..(also aftermarket grills on or just open-back unprotected except mesh over the planar... ) or that 3rd mod you posted above ? Because I'm at step 2, so ignoring gear upstream (which obviously you really can't) we'd not even have a baseline similar set of cans assuming tight production tolerances avoiding wide variations in FRs....
Your further mod posted above for soundstage may remove this bloom/ringing with piano strikes along with the primary goal on SStage.

I listen to mostly electronic music, so I'll have to let it come up again as I listen to stuff as piano elements are just sprinkled in here-and-there. It could also be synth piano strikes causing it so I'd maybe have to dig up 'real world' piano strike mastering.
Here is how they are now

If you havent alteady try some dampening on the outside metal. Blutak dynamat etc might help with the piano issue. Worth a try

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #892 of 1,409
I just picked up a set of these on ebay for $50, listed as just "not working". I figured worst case I have spare parts.

Turns out, the issue is that a 2.5mm jack broke off the tip inside of the 2.5mm female connection. It's really in there, I've tried using small watch repair tools to get it out, but it won't seem to budge.

Does anyone know of a decent replacement 2.5mm that would require minimal to no drilling? (Open to other jack options as well). Or does someone have a 200 IQ way of removing the broken off tip?

Edit: Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/CESS-2-5mm-F...words=2.5mm+female+jack&qid=1572632882&sr=8-4

Also, how do I get these damn pads off?

Well, I rewired the side with the ****ed up jack and it works, but when I went to test the other side, the driver blew :frowning2: no impedance reading between the + and -

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement driver? Or maybe someone here has one they're not using that I could buy?

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #893 of 1,409
If you can amp chip roll..consider chasing down ADA4627B's opamp chips. Have tried many mass market chips and boutique chips and these are just great with 1060C IMO for electronic music. They are natural side of neutral and better than LME49990 (high detail/neutral) IMO.
Nothing out of place with ADA4627B and a really subtle detailed chip. Still chasing down where my ringing issue is with 1060C but think its just the 'ole Ortho Wall happening. Could probably slam one in an Altoid amp and it may work well if the current output headroom is OK on the Altoid for 1060C...cheap as chips for the kind of sound and synergy you can get.

Edit : I'm using the ADA4627B in a Neco Soundlab V4 dual mono portable amp (sub-bass boost jumper setting - ON) which IMO is evenly matched to VorzAMP Pure 2 portable amp @$570 to my ears....another hidden gem that punches way above its price (V4...circa $125 used)...ugly Hammond style case housing some seriously smart internal design chops with elephantine battery life :wink:
2-Neco-Soundlab-V4-ADA4627-B.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #894 of 1,409
Looks like 1060C no longer avail. from monoprice UK now so the new ones should show up soon.

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #895 of 1,409
I didn't want to take a hammer to my headband to get the pins out so I 3D printed some pins.

Seems pretty good so far, we'll see how it holds up.

20191116_181143.jpg

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #896 of 1,409
E1DA 9038S balanced Sabre9038Q2M DAC/amp also gives a great sound 99% similar to Chord Mojo IMO...powers them well medium loud...gets a bit bitey/hard-nosed at loudest volume though...need a balanced cable for it..no longer has that Sabre icy brittlness or thin metallic presentation...run it off a phone also with 1060C....very very clean presentation.
$_1.JPG

EDIT : New 9038X with hardware volume coming early 2020....as above 9038S
has some issues on MacOS needing soundflowerpot to get software volume happening system-wide as it is locked @ full volume by default (!)...audiophile music players have volume functionality though on MacOS....just this minor issue has to be dealt with with soundflower....Windowz and Android both fine with 9038S.

I'd hold off for 9038X personally...

Still loving 1060C...little gem....got a pair of custom shells Musicmaker BL-1 Planar IEMs on 11/11 sale that I'm going to mod/damp to get them similar to 1060C to a degree....warmer/thicker musical planar IEM....vs the sterile end of the planar scale which I'm not too keen on.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #897 of 1,409
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #898 of 1,409
I've used my pair with Monolith THX AAA desktop dac/amp. That versus Ifi IDSD Nanon BL. Monolith did a HUGE difference. Much more everything, cleaner and more detailed sound and dynamic range. It did cost 718$/660€ to Finland but sure it was worth it. Also when you use them as closed, the dac/amp made a huge difference. With Ifi closed was meh. But with THX the open mod's sound was a bit more airy and a bit more detail but the closed one was dang close. I was very surprised for the closed performance.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #900 of 1,409
Anyone ever see a FR graph for 1060C ?
I listen to mostly electronic music and wonder also how you guys find tonal accuracy with them for 'organic' stuff ?
I have a pair of LCD2CB at the moment and still prefer 1060C open-back for 'tronic music....easier to drive as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back