Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #1,396 of 1,409
So I can't fault Monoprice customer service. They shipped me out a replacement pair of 1060c and return labels for the old pair without even waiting for the old ones to come back. Then UPS turned up and collected the faulty ones. Flawless customer service and it cost me nothing. Didn't even have to leave the house.

The new pair are perfect and they sound great! A happy first time Planar user here

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #1,397 of 1,409
"Monoprice has decided to stop selling through its own web presence in Europe. We are currently setting up new structures through strategic partnerships across the European region."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!

I hope this doesn't mean the end of their amazing discounts.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,398 of 1,409
when i had to replace my headphones, monoprice support was pretty hassle free

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #1,399 of 1,409
finally had to replace my m1060c pads, after the 4 year point they started peeling and leaving black pleather on my head lol. I got some of the 105mm sheepskin aliexpress pads mentioned a few pages back. Peeled off the old pads and the fabric cover over the driver but left the adhesive. Took one of the clear plates from the back of the pad, peeled it off, and wrapped the new pads around it. Aligned and stuck it on. Might look into putting in the thick fabric into the earpad again as I think the highs are a little bit peaky now, but overall pretty good. Pads are a lot stiffer, will get them some time to break in.

edit: stuffed the fabric into the pads in front of their built in cover. Fabric diameter is smaller than the pad diameter so it fits pretty well. Definitely needed to bring the treble down a bit.

My list of mods:
Hifiman HE560 headband with 3d printed "pins" (didn't want to hammer out the original yoke pins)
105mm sheepskin aliexpress pads
newfantasia 6.6ft cable

Pretty minimal and mostly mods to keep the headphone in check. My headphone has been dragged halfway around the house by a roomba and is still working great except for bending the connectors on the stock cable. Almost hitting the 5 year point so my warranty's almost up, but hopefully it's good for at least another 5 :)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #1,400 of 1,409
Back to the top!

I just finished reading all 94 pages took me a few days. lol I'm looking at these or the Hifiman Sandara close back. I have gone on my second round of Fostex T60RP, love those but to much leaking they were B stock problems. Waiting for my RMA to go through before I make a decision. I need more isolation as I don't want to disturb my wife at night. I am running Monolith liquid spark and Aiyimia T2 tube preamp. I love the setup but having hard time figuring out my next set of cans .
My question is running the 1060c closed how much leaking are we talking about? Not going for noise cancelling Bose type but looking to see if these will be less bothersome late at night when I do most of my moderate listening. These are $225 right now with discount so I feel I need to move soon if I'm going this route.
Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,401 of 1,409
"Monoprice has decided to stop selling through its own web presence in Europe. We are currently setting up new structures through strategic partnerships across the European region."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!

I hope this doesn't mean the end of their amazing discounts.
You have Monolith m1060c on Amazon.de and their discounts. It's pretty good. I bought mine there.

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #1,402 of 1,409
Back to the top!

I just finished reading all 94 pages took me a few days. lol I'm looking at these or the Hifiman Sandara close back. I have gone on my second round of Fostex T60RP, love those but to much leaking they were B stock problems. Waiting for my RMA to go through before I make a decision. I need more isolation as I don't want to disturb my wife at night. I am running Monolith liquid spark and Aiyimia T2 tube preamp. I love the setup but having hard time figuring out my next set of cans .
My question is running the 1060c closed how much leaking are we talking about? Not going for noise cancelling Bose type but looking to see if these will be less bothersome late at night when I do most of my moderate listening. These are $225 right now with discount so I feel I need to move soon if I'm going this route.
Thanks for any help or suggestions!
My wife said to me that she could hear while I was listening to them almost as much as Ibasso sr3 or Sennheiser HD 800s. If that's your main concern, then perhaps you should look somewhere else...other than that (which doesn't bother me, nor my wife), they are amazing!!!
Btw: Right now, while I am writing, I am listening to Lux: album "Northern Lights"...it sounds just beautiful with M1060C!

Cheers!

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,404 of 1,409
Can't say for sound but these are also heavy planars so don't expect the neck pain to go away

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #1,405 of 1,409
How do these open compare to M1570? I loved everything about their sound with EQ and velour pads but they were too heavy for me causing a lot of neck pain.

The M1570 (24.7oz/700g) is a good bit heavier than the M1060C (17oz/483g). I haven't heard the M1570, but I own the M1060C (modded) and the M1570C and I enjoy them both. Without EQ the M1060C modded to open has a better low end presentation, while the M1570C has a better treble presentation. The good news is that they both take EQ very well and can be made to sound very similar. And as an added bonus there are a good number of mods available for the M1060C should you choose to go that route.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,406 of 1,409
Yes, at least on paper M1060C seems to be quite a bit lighter, even more with open grills. Maybe you had experiences with some other planars? Like how do open M1060C compare to Edition XS, Sundara, LCD-X or anything in their price range? I'm not sure how much less capable these drivers are compared to M1570, but M1570 was nothing short of astonishing.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #1,407 of 1,409
Yes, at least on paper M1060C seems to be quite a bit lighter, even more with open grills. Maybe you had experiences with some other planars? Like how do open M1060C compare to Edition XS, Sundara, LCD-X or anything in their price range? I'm not sure how much less capable these drivers are compared to M1570, but M1570 was nothing short of astonishing.

As far as planars, I've owned Audeze LCD2 & LCD2.2, HFM HE560 V1 & HE4XX, MrSpeakers/DCA Aeon Flow 1 & 2, Thieaudio Phantom, Verum 1, M570, M1060, M1060C, M1570C, and Gold Planar GL2000. I've also heard the HE1000 and Ananda. So unfortunately, I can't give you a direct comparison of the XS, Sundara, or LCD-X with the M1060C. But if it helps you at all, I've sold all of my planars except for my modded M1060C, my M1570C, and my GL2000 because I found them to better fit what I'm personally looking for, which is rich deep planar bass, warm mids, and an airy treble with great detail retrieval without being sibilant.

I just want to be clear though, I only feel that way about the M1060C when it's modded, and with the use of EQ. If you're looking to just buy a headphone ready to go out the box without doing any sort of mods, the M1060C may not be what you're looking for.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #1,408 of 1,409
I use M1060C without EQing, and I love them. I am not a good example for those who listen to the gear before the music, but my criteria for validating gears (sound) is whether I like it or not. Gear presents certain sounds in specific ways, and to my liking, M1060C gives beautiful sound. What's also important to me to validate gear (sound) is whether it excites me or not...which is above whether I like it or not, and M1060C are very exciting headphones to me. Sennheiser HD 560S are very, very good, and I like them, but they are not exciting to me; I don't have the desire to listen to them all day, and it's the opposite with M1060C. I believe that headphones, particularly now speaking of M1060C, need certain gear to live more than EQing. In the case of M1060C, it doesn't even have to be an expensive amp or DAC (hm, the cable might matter, too), and they will sound beautiful. I don't need EQ HD820, but they must be connected to certain gears to live up to their potential.

And above everything, it's crazy that they are "pretty cheap" compared to other headphones with the same quality and excitement that they present.
One more thing, they look beautiful! The only thing I would like to be different is ergonomics. They do wobble on the head. The weight is not a problem, but you can feel carrying cups. If the headband is wider, that would be much better.
I was thinking of purchasing another planar, which would give me even more excitement, but having read reviews and exploring, I am unsure if any offer above what M1060C gives me.
They are definitely my preferred headphones among those I have.

Cheers!

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #1,409 of 1,409
I have the Edition XS and it feels quite a bit lighter than the M1060C for me. The headband is hit or miss for some people on the XS but I haven't had any comfort issues with it personally. I did also replace the M1060C headband with the hifiman one though, although the stock headband on the M1060C was fine for me too - just a bit bulky.

Edition XS needs some EQ, it's a little sharp and lacking a little bit of bass. With EQ though, I don't really touch my M1060Cs unless I want more bass or closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back