Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Nov 7, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,381 of 1,409
Wow thanks man, i didn't know this existed, i was struggling to cut grills from metal mesh stationary boxes. This makes my life much easier.

Are there any differences in sound between the more open and lesser (smaller holes) ones? Which one would you recommend i print?

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,382 of 1,409
Wow thanks man, i didn't know this existed, i was struggling to cut grills from metal mesh stationary boxes. This makes my life much easier.

Are there any differences in sound between the more open and lesser (smaller holes) ones? Which one would you recommend i print?
glad I could help!
well the differences, as usual, are not huge but I do feel the more closed ones (more material in front of the drivers) have a more congested imaging, which I suppose makes sense as the sounds reflects inwards. Now I am going to attempt to drill the insides of one of the cups I have to at least make them Vs instead of Us on the inside part of the structures. that should help. I'm not using the thinner ones atm as the company which printed them made a bit of a butchery on some points. I am also looking for a place where I could have them cut from metal sheets. Have not yet found a place!
happy music :wink:

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,383 of 1,409
I went ahead and had the hex grill printed in red.

Wow what an esthetic and sonic difference this makes.
IMG_20221114_214229.jpg

Thanks again!!
IMG_20221114_214326.jpg

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,384 of 1,409
I went ahead and had the hex grill printed in red.

Wow what an esthetic and sonic difference this makes.IMG_20221114_214229.jpg

Thanks again!!IMG_20221114_214326.jpg
they look brilliant!
Pehaps spray on a bit of mat (or glossy) varnish on them just for that extra kick?
Pretty much completely open like that, isn't it?
As an extra protection step against dust, mostly, consider getting some women's stockings on the inside of the cup :)
have fun shopping for that hahahaha

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #1,385 of 1,409
Dusted off the 1060 and 1060c boxes to give them an outing for a few nights listening. Never got a reply last time I mentioned this but both my open and closed headphones have the same driver version in. I thought the closed had a newer/ better version. Bought them both early last year from Monolith in Europe.

Dec 27, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #1,388 of 1,409
Would probably say 1060c as you can modify them if you desire and then revert them back to closed back.... mine seem to have the same drivers so yes, closed for me....

Understood, thanks for getting back to me :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 31, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #1,389 of 1,409
Hi guys, my first post here! Being a noob, I'm here to seek advice on balanced cables.

I picked up a new pair of Monolith M1060C and a new Hifidz AP80 Pro DAP that has a balanced 2.5mm output. I wish to custom make or buy off-shelf a new pair of balanced cable for the setup but unsure if the 2.5mm TRRRS into the DAP has to be soldered exactly how Hifidz spec them:
(Tip end) R+ R- L+ L- (sleeve end)

Or can they be universal like these from Amazon?

NewFantasia 2.5mm Balanced Cable 6N OCC Copper Silver Plated Cable for Monolith M1060, M1060C, M565, M565, for AudioQuest Nighthawk Headphone Walnut Wood Shell (2X 2.5mm Version) https://a.co/d/bqYzYH6

They other end of the twin cables going into the headphones has to be 2.5mm TRS correct?

Many thanks for your advice and happy new year!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,390 of 1,409
Hi guys, my first post here! Being a noob, I'm here to seek advice on balanced cables.

I picked up a new pair of Monolith M1060C and a new Hifidz AP80 Pro DAP that has a balanced 2.5mm output. I wish to custom make or buy off-shelf a new pair of balanced cable for the setup but unsure if the 2.5mm TRRRS into the DAP has to be soldered exactly how Hifidz spec them:
(Tip end) R+ R- L+ L- (sleeve end)

Or can they be universal like these from Amazon?

NewFantasia 2.5mm Balanced Cable 6N OCC Copper Silver Plated Cable for Monolith M1060, M1060C, M565, M565, for AudioQuest Nighthawk Headphone Walnut Wood Shell (2X 2.5mm Version) https://a.co/d/bqYzYH6

They other end of the twin cables going into the headphones has to be 2.5mm TRS correct?

Many thanks for your advice and happy new year!

Guess I'll just reply to my own first ever post lol :D

I bought off the shelf balanced 2.5mm TRRS silver-coated copper strands cables from Taobao and they worked great, love the power and dynamics when these M1060C are paired with balanced source and cables.

I'm running mine open with a 3D printed grill I got from one of the nice guys here who uploaded his STL onto Thingverse. Thank you open community! :)

Jan 10, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,391 of 1,409
Well, the question seemed to be more related to the Hidizs AP80 dap and cable compatibility with it so there would probably be more response in that dap's own thread.

Feb 7, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,392 of 1,409
Got around to refinishing the wood cups. Monoprice should have really stained these instead of painting the grain on. It was actually pained to look like a grain, there was no stain.

Attachments

• 69749903307__1262B5BD-A9BD-4356-AC43-970CAEEA423E.jpg
    69749903307__1262B5BD-A9BD-4356-AC43-970CAEEA423E.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,393 of 1,409
Got around to refinishing the wood cups. Monoprice should have really stained these instead of painting the grain on. It was actually pained to look like a grain, there was no stain.
Yours looks nice. Good work.

I always assumed that they finished it the way they did to give them a more uniform appearance from headphone to headphone since zebrawood has such a huge variability in color and grain pattern. I mean, they could have hand picked cups that were close, but that adds a lot of work/cost/waste to a product where they were trying to undercut the competition as much as possible. This is one of the reasons I haven't attempted to do anything to mine since one cup would be really light and one would be quite dark due to the different grains.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,394 of 1,409

Your cups look great! I believe refinishing the cups was the single best appearance mod I did.

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,395 of 1,409
Disaster. These have just arrived after an excited wait all week for them and... they're broken. Straight out the box.

The cable is loose in one of the ear cup jacks which means the sound cuts out constantly if I so much as move my head or touch the wire.

I can physically see there's about a 1mm gap and the jack isn't fully flush. Flipping the headphones over makes no difference as the other one then cuts out instead, so it's obviously the jack connector and not the cable.

So gutted.

Edit : "fixed" the loose headphone jack by trapping a bit of paper on the edge of the jack round the cable. LOL. It isn't in the hole it just stops it being loose. No cut out now! Will still see if they will replace anyway as it isn't an ideal thing to have to do

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back