1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by FastAndClean, Jan 12, 2018.
First

Back
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
60 61 62
Next

Last
  1. Lohb
    Did it make the treble hotter by removing foam behind earpads...any negatives to bass from that ?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. Dawnrazor
    I didnt notice anything like that which kind of surprised me. It was just clearer. I even ditched the pads and put the driver against my ear. It was clean and not bright at all. My system is not bright or overly tubey so YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  3. senegalas
    So the driver is exposed to dust? Uhh?

4. OldDude04
    I'm assuming he meant that he temporarily listened to them without pads to see what kind of differences his mods made.

5. demevalos
    I just picked up a set of these on ebay for $50, listed as just "not working". I figured worst case I have spare parts.

Turns out, the issue is that a 2.5mm jack broke off the tip inside of the 2.5mm female connection. It's really in there, I've tried using small watch repair tools to get it out, but it won't seem to budge.

Does anyone know of a decent replacement 2.5mm that would require minimal to no drilling? (Open to other jack options as well). Or does someone have a 200 IQ way of removing the broken off tip?

Edit: Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/CESS-2-5mm-F...words=2.5mm+female+jack&qid=1572632882&sr=8-4

Also, how do I get these damn pads off?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  6. TheHeedHunter
    Pads have doublesided tape. Carefully peel them off and you'll be good to go.

7. Dawnrazor
    Kind of. There is still some material around the driver opening. That is what I was asking about. So no dust....BUT both my m1060 and m1060c have nothing on the backs, and have been like that for a long long time. No issues..

Here are some picts:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/m1060-mod.898962/page-3#post-14827529

FWIW maybe its because I have had maggies for ever but always ran them without the socks so the driver was always exposed. unlike the driver on the M1060s those drivers had a sticky adhesive to keep the wires in place. Never any issues. So its been over 7 months if not more and no issues with dust or anything. And sure I bet dust gets on it but like the driver moves....

Grills and foam just kill the sound...

8. Dawnrazor
    Pull the pads off and that jack is square. Pretty sure it wont fit. Look for some round ones. I have these, but if you are going to do it you might want 3.5mm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBN1NZK/ref=dp_cerb_1

9. Dawnrazor
    Not worried about dust and will probably ditch the thin cover which is attached to the metal. I already removed the thick round foam. What is left is the rectangular thin stuff.

10. senegalas
    I don't really wanna remove pads

11. senegalas
    Also if you remove that ractengular stuff let me know if it improves sound. Also now you attached the pads using double sided tape?

12. Dawnrazor
    sure, will do. FWIW there is plenty of adhesive to remove the pads and put them back on. Sure it wont be permanent but it will work, especially when your head is in the middle. The pads I bought are dekoni and they have a ring with tape and I plan to replace the stock with one of them. Hybrid or lambskin IIRC.

13. Lohb
    One thing I notice with 1060C is excessive ringing/bloom with piano hits on occasional electronic music tracks...must be the old "Ortho Wall"

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  14. senegalas
    Yeah piano sounds harsh on these. Do LCDS also suffer from this?

15. Lohb
    Not that I remember...2C was a mellow presentation and 2CB had more of a faster bite to it...but not that "bloom overhang type thing"
    with piano strikes.

First

Back
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
60 61 62
Next

Last