mom looking for gift for 11 yr old
Mar 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #34 of 53
I think you guys scared her away :p

She hasn't logged back in yet. We'll see, lol 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, probably. I'd really reccomend Sony MDR v6 or mono price 8323 but depending on the kid that might end up just as disastrous

Sony MDR-V6 is good from a build quality perspective but they won't hold up to Beats from a casual perspective, both in looks and in tuning (kids like bass, end of story).

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #35 of 53
I'd recommend the V-MODA M-80, or if you want to go a bit cheaper a refurb Sennheiser HD428, which should be around $30-$40. The Creative Aurvana Live is also a great option.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #36 of 53
Instead of dumbing down the suggestions to what you think an 11 year old will think looks cool, why don't you guys recommend some actually good options within the price range? Maybe he's not influenced much by peer pressure, or maybe if he starts with a good pair he'll realize early on what a scam mainstream brands like Beats are.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #38 of 53

Instead of dumbing down the suggestions to what you think an 11 year old will think looks cool, why don't you guys recommend some actually good options within the price range? Maybe he's not influenced much by peer pressure, or maybe if he starts with a good pair he'll realize early on what a scam mainstream brands like Beats are.

Well let's take a step back and see all the current suggestions so far - 

I'd recommend the V-MODA M-80, or if you want to go a bit cheaper a refurb Sennheiser HD428, which should be around $30-$40. The Creative Aurvana Live is also a great option.

K518LEs? 
Colourful, cheap, headband isn't horrible. Great sense of fun, rather punchy.

Actually with that budget the K618DJs are in the cards as well. Don't know why people never seem to mention them. Same colour choice, still pretty clean and bassy.

Good god, you guys. This is a person who knows little to nothing about the hobby and just wants some simple advice around her budget. Suggesting a hundred different types of whatzits and who-huhs is just going to lead to choice paralysis.

Kid probably wants lots of bass and good looks. Mom wants low sound leakage and durability. I recommend the Phiaton MS400. It's probably the best headphone you can get for your needs in the price range. 

They can be found for around $130 new, or about $100 used, varying on color.

http://www.amazon.com/Phiaton-MS-400-Carbon-Headphones/dp/B001EUE6AK

I recommend getting this deal; with refurbished you get a huge chunk off the price tag for an essentially new product with a full warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0048FSDRU/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

I did some quick research and they are comfortable, mostly durable, look awesome (especially in all black), are bassy but still clear, and fit in the price range.

Yeah, probably. I'd really reccomend Sony MDR v6 or mono price 8323 but depending on the kid that might end up just as disastrous

If noise isolation/leakage is an issue then I would look into a few headphones that have a great value.

If he wants a more bass heavy sound signature look at the CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live!). They are relatively cheap, sound great for the price, and isolate noise decently.

If he likes rock music that has instruments and vocals, you might want to get him a pair of Shure SRH-440 or SRH-840. They are great all around headphones, much better than the Audio Technica ATH-M50s in my opinion.

I would personally go with the Shure SRH-840, they are great for almost any genre of music, durable, sound great, and are inexpensive.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

The CAL's are quite fragile. I wouldn't suggest those for a kid. 

As for the Shure headphones. The SRH840 is out of the specified budget, great headphones though. I personally think the Sony MDR-V6 is a better buy than the 440, they are built like tanks and have a similar sound signature, and are a bit cheaper. However, I would suggest none of these if your son likes bass (likely) since they are all neutral headphones, also, they don't look cool. 

I would suggest:
-Phillips Citiscape Downtown
-Sony MDR-V55, MDR-XB500, MDR-XB600

All have at least acceptable build quality, a good amount of good quality bass, and aren't ugly. 

Sorry but the cable on the Citiscape is fragile like a piece of tape almost. Otherwise it's a decent hp. I don't recommend it. For someone 16 and under who needs a durable, isolating, easy to drive headphone around $100 I'd like at the Audio Technica m50. It has good bass and the kids want that. Also comes in fashionable white if that is your thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364245018&sr=8-1&keywords=m50

gL!!

Get him a used pair of DT 770's.

Agreed on the Citiscape, the cable is absolute crap to put it kindly. Does not stand up to wear and tear well.

Not a huge fan of the M50 for a child due to the thick earpads being uncomfortable in heat and the headphones being heavy for portable use.

If your son enjoys bass, the Crossfade LP could be worth a look. Durable, great style, and a definite step up from stock ibuds.

Hmmm... I didn't really feel that the cord was fragile when I took my friend's Citiscape for a night. Is it really that fragile? 

About the M50's. 
-AT tweaked it to be a bit more neutral. 
-The comfort issues would probably be less for a kid since they have smaller heads. 

Crossfade LP. Seconded. 

CAL! aren't anymore fragile then the Downtowns would be. I also think we are speculating on what a "kid" in tales. At 11, durability isn't a HUGE issue, some durability is obviously needed.

A used pair of SRH-840's go for under a 100 so, that would put them in the same boat as the DT 770. The Audio Tecnhicas were my first step into hi-fi so that may be a good choice.

Don't bother with Monster/Beat headphones. They're all marketing hype and don't deliver any real quality.

If your son likes bassy music, then the Sony-MDR-XB500's are a good choice. They are comfortable and deliver real quality bass, unlike Monster/Beats.

The pads go around the ear instead of on the ear, so he can wear them for decent periods of time, without feeling like his ears are on fire.

They are currently going for $75 on Amazon.

Sennheiser HD 439's on sale at BestBuy for $80 dollars.  Might want to check BestBuy online before you go pick them up though, they might not be in stock.  Also, I am assuming that your son doesn't mind over ear headphones, otherwise I can supply you with some smaller headphone suggestions.

There are plenty of lower priced headphones that people like around here. As a general rule, avoid Monster, Beats, Skullcandy, SOL, Sync, etc. I'd recommend the Koss DJ100's. They're closed, so they won't leak too much sound, but they're very well-built and should be durable enough for your son's use. Koss also offers a lifetime warranty with their products. Creative, on the other hand, has a policy of hanging up on you if they think you're outside of the warranty period. Seriously. They won't even talk to you.

The Sony XB600 or XB900 are durable, cool and have nice bass and overall sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am only 14 so i know what kids like and i have a feeling he will like the style of the Sony headphones. Everyone here has suggested great headphones! The Sennheiser HD419 are even better if your son can keep em safe!

So the list so far - 

V-MODA M-80
Sennheiser HD428
Creative Aurvana Live x2
AKG K518LE
AKG K618DJ
Phiaton MS400
Sony MDR-V6
Monoprice 8323
Shure SRH-840 x2
Phillips Citiscape Downtown
Sony MDR-V55 
Sony MDR-XB500
Sony MDR-XB600 x2
Audio Technica M50
Beyerdynamic DT770
V-MODA Crossfade LP x2
Sennheiser HD439
Sony XB900
Sennheiser HD419

Though it is rather excessive, the suggestions are not far off from what people would usually recommend for a mainstream signature around here. So I don't see the problem. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

This isn't an 11 year old asking us for recommendations. This is his parent. 

Said parent hasn't given us any indication of what said 11 year old wants, thus I think its reasonable to try and think about what 11 year old boys want in headphones. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:
Though it is rather excessive, the suggestions are not far off from what people would usually recommend for a mainstream signature around here. So I don't see the problem. 

If you read the few posts just before mine, some people were saying that it might be better to find a headphone that looks cool to an 11 year old rather than something that actually is a good product. Obviously I was writing in response to that, not the whole thread of suggestions.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #41 of 53
If you read the few posts just before mine, some people were saying that it might be better to find a headphone that looks cool to an 11 year old rather than something that actually is a good product. Obviously I was writing in response to that, not the whole thread of suggestions.

I was reccomending good sounding, good looking, and something he'll enjoy more because his friends like it
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/skullcandy-roc-nation-aviator
BTW, I have introduced kids this age to HiFi. They tend to be far more interested in what it looks like than what it sounds like. My mdr-v7 "look stupid" and "beats and skull candy are the best". The aviators are a pretty decent sounding set (not to my personal taste mind you) that also take care of what mom wants (minimal leakage) and what her son will want (something cool to show his friends)
Your move smart guy

This isn't an 11 year old asking us for recommendations. This is his parent. 

Said parent hasn't given us any indication of what said 11 year old wants, thus I think its reasonable to try and think about what 11 year old boys want in headphones. 

Thank you

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #42 of 53
Maybe I was a more methodical kid than you were, but I would have preferred something high quality over the latest fad. If all he's interested in is the latest fad, he'll never get into headphones no matter what you introduce him to first. But if there's even a glimmer of audiophile in him, the smart move would be to give him something of good quality to introduce him to the hobby.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #44 of 53
Im a teen and I've carried a few headphones around in my backpack to school and what not and i have to say the Sony 7506s and the sony V6s are durable and they sound great and they wont set you back but a hundred at the most ... I got mine off amazon 60 for the v6 and 95 for the 7506

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #45 of 53
I'd get him a JVC HA-S500. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back