Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 19, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #3,001 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleuburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Well, I rewired the mosfets and mixed up the drain and the source. The resulting current blew the drivers in my hd580s. I'm done. Sorry guys, this is crazy. I've lost money, the amp never worked, and now I have no reason to finish it. This is really upsetting. The hd580s where my only cans. I guess somebody might want them for $50 to replace the drivers. I'm sticking with my ibasso and some IEMs when I get the cash.

Sincerely,
~Bleuburd

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that, that is terrible. Maybe you can order hd-600 drivers from the sennheiser website?

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #3,002 of 7,277
I don't really feel like spending $100 right now. Especially on replacing cans that I thought I'd have for a while. Like I said. Maybe I'll pick up some pfes when I sell back my textbooks. I'm just really bummed out right now. I'll probably save the hd580s and replace the drivers later on, but now I'm taking a break. No more DIY. I'm just not cut out for it. I can do interconnects, LODs, and maybe a cmoy, but anything beyond that is probably asking too much.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #3,003 of 7,277
that is sad to hear, even tho i myself am not very good at diy audio stuff im slowly making my way up. first from building 3 cmoys to a p2p build of this amp and a beta circuit board. from my first cmoy i got some cheap headphones that cost me £5 rather than risk my grados think i was the first bit of advice given to me on another forum

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #3,004 of 7,277
frown.gif
Sorry to hear. I really do wish you would not give up though because mistakes were made to learn from.

Maybe try again with some KSC75?

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #3,005 of 7,277
Oh thank God, it's just an encoding snafu. I encoded my entire library in what I thought was V0 with XLD. It actually did VBR at like 30kbps, which obviously would sound like blown drivers. I'm gonna pull the starving student out of the trash, put it in a new enclosure, rewire it, and give this a go!

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #3,006 of 7,277
Quote:

Oh thank God, it's just an encoding snafu. I encoded my entire library in what I thought was V0 with XLD. It actually did VBR at like 30kbps, which obviously would sound like blown drivers. I'm gonna pull the starving student out of the trash, put it in a new enclosure, rewire it, and give this a go!

I'll bet that was quite the relief! Reminds me of when I spent hours diagnosing a signal processor that wouldn't sync and was sure it was seriously fubar'ed, only to find out I had the wrong cable plugged into it the whole time. Lesson: Always double-check everything else for silly mistakes before assuming anything is broken.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #3,007 of 7,277
Quote:

Glad to hear it!

Even so, remember: don't ever plug in a good set of heapdhones the first time out with a newly-built amp. Get some $2 Coby's or something from Big Lots/Goodwill.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #3,008 of 7,277
Quote:

That's great news! After a scare like that, make sure you get some cheap headphones to test with though.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #3,009 of 7,277
thats great news!
smile.gif

Follow the schematic very carefully to minimize all the "rewiring" you're doing, checking every p2p connections as fets could blow easily. Watch out for shorts and use colored wires for easier troubleshooting, and *importantly* use a meter to measure voltages and even if values look good then use a pair of cheapie headphones first. good luck!

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #3,010 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use colored wires for easier troubleshooting

....I heard that somewhere before. Sounds like good advice.
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #3,011 of 7,277
The cathode caps I am using are just 16V Panasonics I had lying around.

I am getting 19.71V on Pin 3 for each of the channels.
Right at R1 and R2 I am getting 46.73V.

Both seem fine.

Here are some readings I just took using my auzen soundcard on my computer. Not the best, but the readings seem pretty darn good.

No fancy cables, just good ole' Beldens for the readings.

millett-notflat.jpg

millettFreq.jpg

Of course, any advice would be apprecated!

It isn't an Amp I am using right now anyway, so extar tweaking would be fun.
darthsmile.gif

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, you are severely limiting current across the tube which makes it run in an even less linear place. It also lowers its Gm which in turn reduces its ability to drive the gate capacitance on the mosfet, which rolls off high frequency. That is, you built a tone control to filter out bass and treble.

Don't you have the 3 channel deal? That design also most likely cuts out bass frequencies.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #3,012 of 7,277
Quote:

...I'm gonna pull the starving student out of the trash, put it in a new enclosure, rewire it, and give this a go!

Next time at least offer the carcass up for sale here.

By the way, I work with a schematic and a highlighter, coloring in the lines and components as I install them. when the schematic is completely highlighted, you're done.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3,014 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody have a BOM parts list from Digi-Key for this amp?

The SSMH PCB BOM has a complete list of Digi-Key parts:
http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/bom/SSMH.xls
There are differences with the PCB, but those should be clearly marked.
wink.gif

P.S. Speaking of which, the PCB's arrived a few days ago. I've been working through the weekend to get one built and cased up. I should be able to report shortly and start sales next week (hopefully) - the production PCB looks great; it's just that we needed to flesh out a few casing and accessory details. I have a heat sink solution, but need a few days to prove it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back