Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #7,082 of 7,277
Ordered the PCB with Fred.

And ihave ordered a pair of matched JJ 12au7.
Seller says it's great for the money and as a starter. You can always change it to something else.

Found a killer case for it.

Can't wait to start.... Went from buying a secondhand Lyr to Diy... How strange things can went.

The Minimax looks also great but also no pcb's available does anyone knows why?

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #7,083 of 7,277
The Minimax looks also great but also no pcb's available does anyone knows why?
Yes. Sales no longer supported the costs of stocking up again for the casework and PCBs. The Millett Hybrid MAX v1.2 PCB is still available, though.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #7,085 of 7,277
So nobody is building anymore. Or has the market shrunk?
Just wondering why...
You answered your own question ...

When the MiniMAX was first designed and sold, about the only way to get a headphone amplifier was by building one. Now, it's a different story.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #7,086 of 7,277
I have a question. How do you mount the Ohmite heat sinks that I see in most of the completed amp photos to a chassis? The 2 pins at the bottom look like they are designed for soldering to a pc board. From some of the under side pictures it appears that the sinks are held down by screws. Do you remove the pins and replace them with screws? If so how do you remove the pins?

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #7,089 of 7,277
Starving Student Millett Hybrid (PCB version) Kits Again?

I happened upon some more 19J6 tubes recently and am thinking about offering SSMH complete kits again (PCB by Dsavitsk of ECP Audio). As before, this would include the completely machined, black-anodized Hammond case, PCB, two tubes, all parts and hardware except for wiring, and the Cisco-compatible power supply. Details for the original kits are in my sig. Price would probably be around $165 plus ~$3-$4 for a power cord. Since the power supply works for international voltages, there are a number of power cord options that would be available.

The last time I offered full kits was back in 2014, so I don't have a good feel for the demand of the Starving Student anymore, especially with all the nice/inexpensive Schiit available lately. So, if you could reply or shoot me a PM, that might give me an idea if I should make the investment again.

Please check out my signature for details below or the documentation website for the Starving Student Millett Hybrid (PCB version). Nothing will have changed except that the knobs will be black instead of silver (Mouser doesn't seem to stock the silver ones anymore).
Thanks!

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #7,090 of 7,277

I happened upon some more 19J6 tubes recently and am thinking about offering SSMH complete kits again (PCB by Dsavitsk of ECP Audio). As before, this would include the completely machined, black-anodized Hammond case, PCB, two tubes, all parts and hardware except for wiring, and the Cisco-compatible power supply. Details for the original kits are in my sig. Price would probably be around $165 plus ~$3-$4 for a power cord. Since the power supply works for international voltages, there are a number of power cord options that would be available.

The last time I offered full kits was back in 2014, so I don't have a good feel for the demand of the Starving Student anymore, especially with all the nice/inexpensive Schiit available lately. So, if you could reply or shoot me a PM, that might give me an idea if I should make the investment again.

Please check out my signature for details below or the documentation website for the Starving Student Millett Hybrid (PCB version). Nothing will have changed except that the knobs will be black instead of silver (Mouser doesn't seem to stock the silver ones anymore).
Thanks!
Signed me up I'll order a kit . I was nearly complete trying to duplicate your PCB making it myself on EasyEDA.com The one problem I was having I was going to add a modification to use a Alps pot and because I'm a beginner and new at this it was a sticking point for me to complete my PCB.
Can you please consider a addition and redesign of possibly the Millard hybrid max adding balanced outputs . Or any other design like the torpedo in balanced or a modification to pre-existing amps for entry-level users like the DarkVoice 336 or the La Figaro 339 in today's marketplace to be able to get one of these amps with balanced outputs included would just take the marketplace by storm at their price point to quality . Thank you

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #7,093 of 7,277

Thanks!

sign me up. I've been wanting to have an amp for work but never got around to building one, so I ordered the NS08E off of fleabay a week ago. but now that there's a chance of SSMH made available again, I'd wanna build one for work and relegate the NS08E to my home/bedside setup.

PS: I bought your HD25-1 last month. always wondering how it would sound off of a tube amp! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back