Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Oct 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #4,021 of 7,277
Tomb
Let us know when project '25-more-kits' is a go
tongue.gif

And while you're at it, is there an opening for early pre-orders? hehe

How is the chance that you will continue to sell the tubes seperately after the kits are sold? I'm guessing the answer is no as they were probably the factor that gave you the chance to make just 25 more kits.

Dries

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #4,022 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tomb
Let us know when project '25-more-kits' is a go
tongue.gif

And while you're at it, is there an opening for early pre-orders? hehe

Not doing pre-orders this time, thanks.

I'll ask Hammond how we're doing on the cases and let you all know.
Quote:

How is the chance that you will continue to sell the tubes seperately after the kits are sold? I'm guessing the answer is no as they were probably the factor that gave you the chance to make just 25 more kits.

Dries

If there are tubes left after this round of kits, yes - but we'll have to see. I haven't tested them all yet and those dang 19J6's are still running about 30% bad.
mad.gif
IOW, there are a bunch more tubes than just 25 kits worth, but how many is unknown for now. I'm working on them - among other things.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #4,024 of 7,277
I'm ready to build my second SSMH, this time following the modified bom, but still p2p. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you can give me some help on:

1. C1/C6: The 680uF caps are back-ordered at Mouser. Would this 1000uF (mouser # 647-UPS1J102MHD1AA) work?
UPS1J102MHD1AA Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded

2. For C7/C8, would this one (mouser # 647-UPM1C221MPD) be comparable to the Muse ES, or do I really need the Muse ES? I'd really like to get all the stuff I need from one source to save on shipping if I can help it, and these are the only components I can't find on Mouser.
UPM1C221MPD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded

3. I have a rocker switch that has LED on it (bought from ratshack). Can someone explain how to wire the LED?

Thanks y'all in advance!

fishline

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #4,025 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
R14 and R15 are the grid stoppers here:

and R3 and R9 should be attached directly to the Pin 3's on the MOSFETs - right?

Yea I have R3/9 directly on pin 3, R14 and R15 are in place, though not directly on the tube pins.

Static has come back on the left channel and left only, persistent. damn... The left happens to be the side where I have all my secondary panel component ground linked to (one on each panel ground went to the copper plate, another went to the terminal strip on the left, where I have my left tube grounded). Would that be the problem?

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #4,027 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm ready to build my second SSMH, this time following the modified bom, but still p2p. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you can give me some help on:

1. C1/C6: The 680uF caps are back-ordered at Mouser. Would this 1000uF (mouser # 647-UPS1J102MHD1AA) work?
UPS1J102MHD1AA Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded

Yeah, those should work - but the Nichicon UPW's are a much better choice:
UPW1J102MHD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded .
Quote:

2. For C7/C8, would this one (mouser # 647-UPM1C221MPD) be comparable to the Muse ES, or do I really need the Muse ES? I'd really like to get all the stuff I need from one source to save on shipping if I can help it, and these are the only components I can't find on Mouser.
UPM1C221MPD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded

It's a funny psychology when you see people that will pay $hundreds for parts and not another $5-$7 for shipping. Or, complain when that shipping is $2-$3 higher than they think it should be when the shipper has to deliver them to the Post Office, provide boxes and packing, and or includes delivery confirmation and insurance - there's no logic to it, quite frankly.
wink.gif

Sorry, but I digress.
smily_headphones1.gif
First of all, none of us really recommended the Muse ES. Last time I looked, the highest voltage rating they make is 50V. That's not enough unless you want to push the ratings standards around here. The Muse Fine Gold, on the other hand, comes in 63V sizes. I've built one SSMH PCB using the 1000uf 63V Muse FG's (the silver one pictured on Beezar). They are very nice and available at Handmade Electronics. While you have to do some special things to use them on the PCB (no pre-machined Beezar/Hammond custom case is possible), using them with P2P would be a snap.

All that said, the one you've picked here is not a good choice. First of all, going to 470uf is an easy, inexpensive choice and will insure no loss of bass with almost all cans. However, since you may end up with 1000uf on the back end (above), might as well go for 1000uf up front, too. Neither is the cap quality you selected as good as it can be. A Nichicon UKW is a much better quality cap in this position and is specifically made for Audio:
UKW1J102MHD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded
As you can see, it's also available at Mouser.
Quote:

3. I have a rocker switch that has LED on it (bought from ratshack). Can someone explain how to wire the LED?

Give us a part number - I'll check. Chances are, it's not worth the trouble. Those things usually have an LED dropping resistor already installed, but set for a voltage that's far different than the SSMH. By the time you added another dropping resistor, chances are you'll exceed the current capacity of the recommended Cisco power supply.
Quote:

Thanks y'all in advance!

fishline

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #4,028 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonchalance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I have R3/9 directly on pin 3, R14 and R15 are in place, though not directly on the tube pins.

On the tube pins is not going to make a difference in this case, I think. Quote:

Static has come back on the left channel and left only, persistent. damn... The left happens to be the side where I have all my secondary panel component ground linked to (one on each panel ground went to the copper plate, another went to the terminal strip on the left, where I have my left tube grounded). Would that be the problem?

We've already asked the obvious question, I guess - does it follow the tube if you swap them? Otherwise, then yes, perhaps it's the grounding on that side - but that's only a guess.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #4,029 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys think replacing all caps in my SSMH will fix my problem(described on the previous page)? Cause then I'd head over to Zurich and get everything I need

Hard to say ... if you're looking at what might have the most chance of getting damaged due to a massive short, I'd guess the MOSFETs, not the caps.

You could inspect the caps - if you see any slight swelling or worse - some liquid oozing from them, then definitely replace them. Otherwise, I'd think a solid-state component is the most likely thing to fry with a short.

Be careful next time when you case it up. As others have noted, developing shorts when casing something up is a common issue - for noobs and experienced folks alike. It can happen under the best of circumstances.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #4,030 of 7,277
Quote:

Hard to say ... if you're looking at what might have the most chance of getting damaged due to a massive short, I'd guess the MOSFETs, not the caps.

You could inspect the caps - if you see any slight swelling or worse - some liquid oozing from them, then definitely replace them. Otherwise, I'd think a solid-state component is the most likely thing to fry with a short.

Be careful next time when you case it up. As others have noted, developing shorts when casing something up is a common issue - for noobs and experienced folks alike. It can happen under the best of circumstances.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, what made me think it's not the MOSFET was that the tube that's still glowing doesn't glow any brighter than normal and when people described a fried transistor in this thread, they usually said that was one of the symptoms...

What sucks is that I glued the PCB to the spaceholders I installed in the case and now I have to pry it apart again lol

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #4,031 of 7,277
OK, I tried switching the MOSFETS and it turns out one of them's fried after all... I hope the shop near me has IRF510s, else I'll have to make a mouser order and also order the parts for my next project (y1/y2 DAC) as well so I don't have to pay the 40 bucks s+h (it's free to Switzerland from 125 bucks order total upwards)

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4,032 of 7,277
Quote:

OK, I tried switching the MOSFETS and it turns out one of them's fried after all... I hope the shop near me has IRF510s, else I'll have to make a mouser order and also order the parts for my next project (y1/y2 DAC) as well so I don't have to pay the 40 bucks s+h (it's free to Switzerland from 125 bucks order total upwards)

Well, at least you found the problem ... sort of thought it was that, but you never know for sure.
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4,033 of 7,277
Quote:

I believe I told you that it was the MOSFET and how I know it was the MOSFET on the prior page.

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #4,034 of 7,277
Quote:

Yeah, those should work - but the Nichicon UPW's are a much better choice:
UPW1J102MHD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded

Quote:

All that said, the one you've picked here is not a good choice. First of all, going to 470uf is an easy, inexpensive choice and will insure no loss of bass with almost all cans. However, since you may end up with 1000uf on the back end (above), might as well go for 1000uf up front, too. Neither is the cap quality you selected as good as it can be. A Nichicon UKW is a much better quality cap in this position and is specifically made for Audio:
UKW1J102MHD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded
As you can see, it's also available at Mouser.

Tom: Thanks very much for sharing your wisdom. However, none of the ones you linked to are in stock at Mouser. All the UPWs are on order, and the only UKW that they have in stock is this 1000uF (UKW2A102MHD):
UKW2A102MHD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded
It's rather big (18x40mm) and I'm not sure if I can fit four of these guys in the case I'm planning to use. I guess I should consider a different source for caps at least.

Quote:

First of all, none of us really recommended the Muse ES. Last time I looked, the highest voltage rating they make is 50V. That's not enough unless you want to push the ratings standards around here. The Muse Fine Gold, on the other hand, comes in 63V sizes. I've built one SSMH PCB using the 1000uf 63V Muse FG's (the silver one pictured on Beezar). They are very nice and available at Handmade Electronics. While you have to do some special things to use them on the PCB (no pre-machined Beezar/Hammond custom case is possible), using them with P2P would be a snap.

I'm confused now: The Muse ES 220uF 16v is what I read in the modified BOM on diyforum, with link to beezar.com, and note in the spreadsheet about also being available from handmade audio. If that's not the correct one to use, perhaps that BOM should be edited?

Quote:

Give us a part number - I'll check. Chances are, it's not worth the trouble. Those things usually have an LED dropping resistor already installed, but set for a voltage that's far different than the SSMH. By the time you added another dropping resistor, chances are you'll exceed the current capacity of the recommended Cisco power supply.

Sorry - scratch that. The switch needs a rectangular cutout. I don't think I want that challenge for the SSMH. Will go for the rocker switch on the bom.

Quote:

It's a funny psychology when you see people that will pay $hundreds for parts and not another $5-$7 for shipping. Or, complain when that shipping is $2-$3 higher than they think it should be when the shipper has to deliver them to the Post Office, provide boxes and packing, and or includes delivery confirmation and insurance - there's no logic to it, quite frankly.

I completely understand what you're saying, but my POV is, as a consumer, I need to look at the total cost, because all of it come out of my wallet. It's simply that paying $7 S&H for $3 worth of parts seems rather silly, not that the $7 S&H isn't justified, but the fact that the total cost is $10 instead of $3. I think someone had brought this up before: Even with Pete's original BOM, if the parts are obtained from 3 or more sources, the S&H becomes a significant portion of the total cost for this starving student budget amp.

My plan for the 2nd SSMH is to push the SQ as far as sensible for this design. I originally was going to get the caps and resistors from ether Michael Percy Audio or Handmade Audio, but after reading one of Tom's post about the SSMH build from the modified BOM being superior to one built from boutique parts, I decided to follow the modified BOM. If I can't get the caps from mouser (within reasonable time, at least), I guess I have to split the order up. If anyone has suggestions on where/what to get for the caps, I'd appreciate it. Also, any recommendation on the wires? I used cat5e cables on my first build, but found the insulation too easily melted when soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back