Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Oct 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4,051 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I roll the tubes with the MM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not exactly. Rather there are three different 'versions' of the circuit, using completely different tubes.

Whoops, your referring to the Starving Student equalizer.

I think acvtre was asking about the MiniMax. On that one there are three types of tubes, but all within the same family.

acvtre, if you go to www.diyforums.org you can read all about the details....

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #4,052 of 7,277
Hammond has finished the new run of cases, but I have to send them more money.
frown.gif
They're a bit more expensive this time because of ordering only 25. The one-time tooling charge (paid last time) was fairly trivial in the whole scheme of things.

The good news is that they should receive the additional check early next week and then ship the cases to me. I'm only waiting now to finish a deal on more power supplies and then we should be ready to start selling the new kits in 1-2 weeks.

I'll post more progress notes as time goes on and will be sure to give everyone plenty of notice before they go on sale again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #4,053 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoops, your referring to the Starving Student equalizer.

I think acvtre was asking about the MiniMax. On that one there are three types of tubes, but all within the same family.

acvtre, if you go to www.diyforums.org you can read all about the details....

eek.gif
oh damn! you're right. mea culpa
redface.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #4,054 of 7,277
I'm a noob in audio DIY, so far I've built only a cmoy and a pimeta V2 (not completed), but it seems to me that this amp is not too much difficult to populate, isn't it? Or is it only an impression of mine?

P.S.:How much does it heat up?

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #4,055 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a noob in audio DIY, so far I've built only a cmoy and a pimeta V2 (not completed), but it seems to me that this amp is not too much difficult to populate, isn't it? Or is it only an impression of mine?

P.S.:How much does it heat up?

If you've successfully built both of those, you're more than ready for a SSMH PCB. The heat sinks on the PCB design do not get very hot. They definitely get warm, though - you'll know for certain that this thing is different than a CMoy or Pimeta, but it's no big deal if done correctly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #4,056 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've successfully built both of those, you're more than ready for a SSMH PCB. The heat sinks on the PCB design do not get very hot. They definitely get warm, though - you'll know for certain that this thing is different than a CMoy or Pimeta, but it's no big deal if done correctly.
smily_headphones1.gif

OOOps wrong thread, last post was for the MM thread.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #4,057 of 7,277
hi regarding the 19J6 its literally impossible to fine now. isit possible to use other tubes? if yes what are the models. thank you very much. as i am starting this build and just realised i missed out on the tubes.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #4,059 of 7,277
hey tom

Awesome that you'll still be able to offer the kits
wink.gif

The price increase is no hickey for the effort you put in it.

What will be the approximate price for the kit? So I can transfer the cash to my paypal already and thus don't need to wait couple of days and maybe lose my chance for one of the 25 kits.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #4,060 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey tom

Awesome that you'll still be able to offer the kits
wink.gif

The price increase is no hickey for the effort you put in it.

What will be the approximate price for the kit? So I can transfer the cash to my paypal already and thus don't need to wait couple of days and maybe lose my chance for one of the 25 kits.

Assuming the power supplies come through, probably $115 - so that's not much of an increase, but don't hold me to it. Things may change at the last minute depending on what I receive and if I have to find more sources for things. Everything looks OK and on-schedule right now, though.

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #4,061 of 7,277
Besides the Punched Case,....is the kit basically everything you see on Beezar that you see when you click on starving student?

Can some items be subtracted if we already have them and still be eligible for a punched case. In other words will you accept substitution?

Quote:

Assuming the power supplies come through, probably $115 - so that's not much of an increase, but don't hold me to it. Things may change at the last minute depending on what I receive and if I have to find more sources for things. Everything looks OK and on-schedule right now, though.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #4,062 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwboomer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides the Punched Case,....is the kit basically everything you see on Beezar that you see when you click on starving student?

Yes. Quote:

Can some items be subtracted if we already have them and still be eligible for a punched case. In other words will you accept substitution?

NO.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #4,063 of 7,277
Quote:

Yes.

Huh? Pardon me if I'm missing something, but none of the resistors, terminal blocks, volume knob, etc are on that particular page.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #4,064 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? Pardon me if I'm missing something, but none of the resistors, terminal blocks, volume knob, etc are on that particular page.

I'm also curious to know what would be needed in addition to the kit in order to complete the amp. Also, I would be interested in pre-ordering a kit if you decide on a price.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #4,065 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by akdmx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also curious to know what would be needed in addition to the kit in order to complete the amp. Also, I would be interested in pre-ordering a kit if you decide on a price.

Sorry. For some reason, I thought you all meant when you click on the website BOM -
SSMH Bill Of Materials

Everything that's on that BOM is in the kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back