Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Oct 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #3,992 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it's possible that one of the tubes developed a short. If the plate connections short with the heater connections somewhere inside the tube, then the heaters may see 48V. Just a guess ... but it might explain what you're seeing.

He did say that the problem does not follow the tube. That would usually rule out a bad tube.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #3,993 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did say that the problem does not follow the tube. That would usually rule out a bad tube.

Quote:

The problem does not follow the tube.

Oops! You're right - he did say that..
redface.gif

So, it has to be some of his P2P that's shorting, I guess.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #3,994 of 7,277
Sorry for the dumb question.

What is the part number for the volume knob on the Beezar kit?

I really like the minimalist look of the knob, so I'd like to know how much it costs/where to get it.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #3,995 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the dumb question.

What is the part number for the volume knob on the Beezar kit?

I really like the minimalist look of the knob, so I'd like to know how much it costs/where to get it.

Mouser #450-6007

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #3,996 of 7,277
I got some measurements.

48V on MOSFET pin 2 both sides. 48V between R1 and R2, 48V between R7 and R8.

21.55V on tube pin 3 left, 48V on tube pin 3 right.

So I guess the right side is messed up, but the tube on left isn't lighting up and I'm not sure how to fix the voltage problem.

Did I kill the tubes?

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #3,997 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonchalance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got some measurements.

48V on MOSFET pin 2 both sides. 48V between R1 and R2, 48V between R7 and R8.

21.55V on tube pin 3 left, 48V on tube pin 3 right.

So I guess the right side is messed up, but the tube on left isn't lighting up and I'm not sure how to fix the voltage problem.

Did I kill the tubes?

Hmmm... 21.55V on pin 3 and the tube is not lighting up? Maybe an open filament, try measuring resistance between pins 3 and 4 of the tube with the tube out of the circuit; it should give a low resistance value.

Now with the right tube 48 volts on pin 3 are sure to kill that filament! Maybe you wired it to the MOSFET's pin 2 instead of pin 3? Another possibility is that the MOSFET's pin 2 and 3 are shorting out?

cheers!

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #3,998 of 7,277
I definitely wired to pin 3. How do I test if the MOSFET is shorting out?

I can't get a resistance reading on 3-4 on either of the tubes. I guess I blew one and the other was damaged during shipping.

Well this project failed, haha.

Is there another way to test the rest of my circuit without the tubes? I want build it right at least.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #3,999 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonchalance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely wired to pin 3. How do I test if the MOSFET is shorting out?

Your next line below answers that.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you measure zero resistance between the pins. Quote:

I can't get a resistance reading on 3-4 on either of the tubes. I guess I blew one and the other was damaged during shipping.

Well this project failed, haha.

Is there another way to test the rest of my circuit without the tubes? I want build it right at least.

You can go through a methodical resistance measurement around each part - or junction measurements referenced to ground, also referenced to the schematic (write down the numbers on a copy of the schematic). In so doing, you can at least compare the readings for the two channels - they should be the same. At points where they're not, chances are that's a problem. Quote:

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I'd try is to put more electrical tape on some of those junctions. It looked like in your pics that there many chances for shorts - especially if the amp got knocked down a few times. It seemed like those Panasonic FC cans were touching part of the power socket, for instance (an electrolytic's wrapper is not sufficient insulation) - but that could've been the camera angle. Good luck.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #4,000 of 7,277
Ok I sorted out a bunch of wires and now I'm getting light and crazy readings. Maybe I'm not as screwed as I thought I was.

~44.5 V at pin2 on both MOSFETs and at the 48V marking on the schematic. ~44V at the right tube pin 3, tube lights up a lot. ~18V at left tube pin 3, barely light, mostly in the middle, and I get sound out of this one. I know the tubes are working because both got sound on the left socket, just a buzzing on the right side where the voltage is nuts.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4,001 of 7,277
turn it off before you waste that really bright tube. you are running 44 volts through a 19 volt filament. I bet the tube won't last more than a few minutes at that rate.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #4,003 of 7,277
OK, I already managed to screw my amp up again... I finally got the casing more or less done and was running it with my PC as source, so I lifted it onto my desk which has a massive metal frame and there was a huge spark from the casing to the metal frame and now only one tube glows when I turn it on and there's no sound coming out at all. Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong?

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #4,004 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
turn it off before you waste that really bright tube. you are running 44 volts through a 19 volt filament. I bet the tube won't last more than a few minutes at that rate.

I believe it is rated for 100V, so there should be no worries. TomB didn't warn me of it (I am having the same problem) and I believe it is on one of his sites at DIYForums.org.
The tubes normally run at half voltage, so I wouldn't be worried.
I can't currently check the resistance on my amp but I still cannot see anywhere there might be a short. I might get some pics up when I get home tomorrow evening.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #4,005 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I already managed to screw my amp up again... I finally got the casing more or less done and was running it with my PC as source, so I lifted it onto my desk which has a massive metal frame and there was a huge spark from the casing to the metal frame and now only one tube glows when I turn it on and there's no sound coming out at all. Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong?

Something must have shorted to ground, possibly damaging something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back