Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Oct 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #3,961 of 7,277
I got the quote from Hammond yesterday and put the check in the mail today to Hammond for 25 more cases (for the next batch of kits). I think it will still take a month, though. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #3,964 of 7,277
If anyone is wondering, I got the paint from Autozone, glossy red auto paint with no clear coat. The heatsink is from Newegg, part number N82E16835116018. I pulled them from old machines that I was about to chuck. The copper is soft so it was easy to drill. I used the original screws that came with the kit. I also had a hum problem but swapped out the POT for a new one and problem solved!

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3,967 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are those CPU heatsinks?

Nahh, they are North and South bridge chipset heatsinks. Overclocking my P4 required an AM heatsink on the north bridge. I stripped this from an old machine I was throwing out. Search for part number N82E16835116018 on Newegg and you will find them.

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #3,970 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how hot does it get with those heatsinks?

It gets pretty damn hot with the stock heatsinks..

It shouldn't.
confused.gif
I've got three of them built and use them all the time. The sinks get a little toasty after several hours, but that's about it. We did extensive testing on heat sinks before we chose the method use.

You should feel one of the MOSFET-MAX heat sinks ... now that's hot.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #3,971 of 7,277
well, I actually meant the original stock heatsinks from pmillet's BOM.

Also, my SSMH is not cased right now.. so the heatsinks sit isolated.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #3,972 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how hot does it get with those heatsinks?

It gets pretty damn hot with the stock heatsinks..

It does not get very hot at all but that is probably because it is always cool in the office. BTW, I added those heatsinks purely for aesthetics.
atsmile.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #3,973 of 7,277
On the topic of heat, I'm wondering what's everyone's ambient room temperature?

Because in my country, on hot days without the air-con its between 29-33 degrees indoor. With my room's air-con on at around 28 degrees, my SSMH and minimax does get hot too.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #3,974 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeeChoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the topic of heat, I'm wondering what's everyone's ambient room temperature?

Because in my country, on hot days without the air-con its between 29-33 degrees indoor. With my room's air-con on at around 28 degrees, my SSMH and minimax does get hot too.

Gorgeus build norm2k!!

I'm in a similar situation, temperatures where I live are usually around 29-33 Celsius too; in May-June it get's up to around 38 Celsius. Still, my beezar SSHM does not get really warm. I can easily lay my hand over the heatsinks with no problem at all.

On the other hand, my 12AU7 build gets VERY hot, even with bigger heatsinks.

cheers!

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #3,975 of 7,277
Aavid documents imply that for their heat sinks convection is the primary mode of heat transfer. Despite that, other than our attempts to "force" natural convection with all of our cooling holes, without a mechanical source for air movement the primary heat rejection with our heat sinks and amps is probably radiation. An example is the MiniMAX first prototype in my avatar - that amp has as many holes or more than any MAX I've built (especially on the bottom) - yet the pebble-vinyl surface is much different than any other case and most likely very low in radiation emissivity (black and smooth are best). In other words, the heat sinks on the PCB inside function perfectly in rejecting the heat to the case, but the case puts on the brakes by being unable to "radiate" the absorbed heat to its surroundings. The result is that amp runs hotter than any MiniMAX with the custom Beezar/Lansing anodized-aluminum case - assuming the convective cooling holes are equal in both cases.

An analogy that illustrates this is the common misconception that forcibly moving air (a powered attic fan) in a hot attic will reduce the heat load on the interior of a house. Surprisingly, this will only reduce the temperature of the air in the attic. Scientific studies have found that the primary mode of heat transfer is radiation from the underside of the roof to the joists and top surface of the ceiling below. (Sort of like heat sinks boxed up in an amplifier case.) Lowering the temperature of the air in the attic is somewhat mis-directed (ambient does have an effect on space surface temperatures), since the primary mode of heat transfer to the living space below is neither conduction nor convection.

Convection and conduction transfer heat through a linear gradient - based on the simple temperature difference, along with contact area and heat transfer coeffiicent. However, radiation transfers heat through the temperature difference to the fourth power. That's a huge driver and the result is that any lessening of the temperature delta: surface temp of the heat sinks minus ambient air - is immediately impacted if the ambient air (thereby adjacent surfaces) is at a higher temperature.

So what am I saying? If the ambient air is higher in a room, the amp will run - dis-proportionately - much hotter. This is not just the reduction in temperature difference between the surface temperature of the heat sinks and the ambient air. Rather, the increased surface temperature of surrounding objects (by virtue of the hotter ambient air) reduces the radiation heat transfer to the fourth power of the reduced surface temperature differences.

P.S. I'm not saying that we shouldn't cut holes in our cases to improve cooling - far from it, convection is still an extremely important mode of heat transfer. I'm only offering an explanation for why only a few degrees of elevated ambient temperatures can result in an amp running dis-proportionately hotter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back