Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Aug 22, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #3,721 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've looked around online, and besides places that list them for $15-20 each (I didn't even bother emailing them to check stock), everyone seems to be out of stock. Of course, this is just what I could find using a quick google search. I'm sure they're out there if you dig enough.

Juaquin - your website (or the linky in your sig) is great. One of the best I've seen.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #3,722 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Juaquin - your website (or the linky in your sig) is great. One of the best I've seen.

Not to get off topic, but thank you. If you're referring to the theme, it's a theme for Wordpress called Blog.txt by Scott Wallick (credit where credit's due).

Back on topic, this amp gets better and better as it burns in. Initially it was a little muddy (most evident in light rock and electronic music) but it's now fairly tight. Doesn't quite beat a solid state amp for electronic music (IMO) but for everything else it's got that great warm tube sound.

What to build next...

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #3,723 of 7,277
Finally succumbed to desire and completed my own little Starving Student amp. A huge thanks to Peter for this great design and to all those here, especially tomb and n_maher, who's posts and pics have helped me through this.

Completed last night, it's been burning in all day with Paul Galbraith's Bach sonatas and partitas. I've been very pleased with it's rich, smooth sound so far and it's quite able to drive the DT880s to high levels. It'll make the perfect little bedside companion.

stephenpm-albums-starving-student-picture3260-starving-student-use.jpg

stephenpm-albums-starving-student-picture3259-starving-student-front-view.jpg

stephenpm-albums-starving-student-picture3258-starving-student-rear-panel.jpg

stephenpm-albums-starving-student-picture3257-starving-student-wiring.jpg

My apologies for the rat's nest, but about five hours into wiring, I remembered why I don't do DIY anymore. I highly encourage fellow builders to follow Pete's example and use the bare circuit board for grounding. I stuffed mine into a cast aluminum Hammond enclosure with a baked, textured black Rust-o-leum finish. I've both gotten the DIY bug out of my system and gained a nice addition to my headphone listening.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #3,724 of 7,277
I'm almost done with my p2p build (completely follow Pete's original bom, except the psu is the 1.25A one). However, no music so far. I'm hoping some will be able to help me track the problem down.

I've measure pin 3 on both channels, and I get ~19.6v, so I guess that's good. However, I'm getting 43v on pin 1 in both channels, which were supposed to be 22v, right? Anyone can give me a hint on what can be wrong?

I can try taking some pics, but it's so messy (my first build of anything) that I don't think I can get very good pics.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #3,727 of 7,277
Got my SSHB Kit working this morning. Sounds nice. A couple of issues:

1) when I turn the volume pot I hear static in left ear; otherwise no static. Pot is grounded.

2) any recommendations for burn-in time and method. Just let it sit powered up??? or does it need to be playing with phones connected???

I'll try to get a few pix posted in the next day or so.

Regards,

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3,728 of 7,277
Quote:

Got my SSHB Kit working this morning. Sounds nice. A couple of issues:

1) when I turn the volume pot I hear static in left ear; otherwise no static. Pot is grounded.

2) any recommendations for burn-in time and method. Just let it sit powered up??? or does it need to be playing with phones connected???

I'll try to get a few pix posted in the next day or so.

Regards,

1)This is usually a tube issue. Sometimes the surrounding electronics may be faster than the tube is capable of keeping up when the volume is changed. I've had it happen consistently on the Millett MAX/MiniMAX when using Black Gates. It's a minor irritation we sometimes live with regarding tubes. Maybe askDsavitsk (
wink.gif
) will have a specific answer, though.
wink.gif

2) A signal has to be going through the coupling caps. So - powered, phones connected, music playing.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #3,729 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1)This is usually a tube issue. Sometimes the surrounding electronics may be faster than the tube is capable of keeping up when the volume is changed. I've had it happen consistently on the Millett MAX/MiniMAX when using Black Gates. It's a minor irritation we sometimes live with regarding tubes. Maybe askDsavitsk (
wink.gif
) will have a specific answer, though.
wink.gif

2) A signal has to be going through the coupling caps. So - powered, phones connected, music playing.

Thanks TomB -

The static does not follow the tube when I swap them; so, I'm wondering if I have an issue with the pot... I think I'll the front off the amp and put a tiny drop of ProGold in the pot and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the info on break-in.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #3,730 of 7,277
Someone was nice enough to offer me some tubes for a good price. Just another example of the great Head-Fi community.
Now I'm just waiting for my Hakko station to arrive, then let the fumes begin
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #3,731 of 7,277
The following are out of stock at Mouser:

71-RN55D-F-220K (220k resistor, R2,R8,R4,R10)
571-2828363 (3 pos terminal block)
571-2828364 (4 pos terminal block)

Does anyone know where I can get them, or some alternatives?

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #3,732 of 7,277
Quote:

Thanks TomB -

The static does not follow the tube when I swap them; so, I'm wondering if I have an issue with the pot... I think I'll the front off the amp and put a tiny drop of ProGold in the pot and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the info on break-in.

- Ray

Ray,

Definitely try cleaning the pot, that was an issue with one of my prototypes that had a persistent buzz and static. There was something in the pot causing a high resistance short, once it was cleaned the amp worked great and was noise free.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3,733 of 7,277

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #3,734 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Resistor values are not critical here. Anything from 220K to 500K is fine.

For terminal blocks, just look for 5mm or 5.08mm blocks -- there are lots of different ones. Or, solder to the board directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back