Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Aug 27, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3,736 of 7,277
Will be throwing mine up soon, only problem, no light up...is there a delay before it starts up? any prestart checks?

EDIT: okay first start fears over, lights up, sound coming through, problem now is LEDS dont come on

img5309x.jpg

img5314t.jpg

img5316.jpg

img5317d.jpg

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #3,738 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see that you forgot the led resister. you have to calculate the resister value in the circle.

that resistor i attached to the otherside, pads on both side y'see

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #3,739 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, where's all the pics of builds from the kits and cases?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
Juaquin's the only one I've seen.

waiting for payday.....and then mini,SS and a pair of bantams to be built
biggrin.gif

also i've never seen anything nearly as well packed as my recent beezar order

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #3,741 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm over saw that... could also be that the +'s and the -'s on the led's got mixed up?

Hmm checked that too, both LEDs do light up, using resistance? mode on multimeter. Initially I thought i got the wrong washer diameter, but fixing that didnt help either.
confused_face_2.gif
, oh well I'm happy atleast the tubes lit up. Thanks TomB, Dsavitsk, and PMillet for making this available. And i gotta agree with MoxMonkey, the packaging is amazing, it looks like I can kick it across a field, without worrying...too much.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #3,742 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm checked that too, both LEDs do light up, using resistance? mode on multimeter. Initially I thought i got the wrong washer diameter, but fixing that didnt help either.
confused_face_2.gif
, oh well I'm happy atleast the tubes lit up. Thanks TomB, Dsavitsk, and PMillet for making this available. And i gotta agree with MoxMonkey, the packaging is amazing, it looks like I can kick it across a field, without worrying...too much.

Glad to hear that the rest of it is working.
wink.gif

Yes, based on what you've said, there are 3 possibilities:
1. The "+" and "-" got mixed up on the board.
2. The long LED lead went to the "-" wire connection (backwards).
3. Maybe you didn't heat shrink one lead on the LEDs and they're shorting out inside the tube sockets.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #3,743 of 7,277
Another question. Are the LEDs integrated into the basic amplification circuit such that they cannot be omitted? If they are purely cosmetic, then I might omit them and the difficult socket drilling / lead soldering bit. Would any changes have to be made to the rest of the circuit to omit them?

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #3,744 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question. Are the LEDs integrated into the basic amplification circuit such that they cannot be omitted? If they are purely cosmetic, then I might omit them and the difficult socket drilling / lead soldering bit. Would any changes have to be made to the rest of the circuit to omit them?

Actually, they're used to switch on the optical decoders in the tube cathode regenerative gateway ... just kidding.
tongue.gif

No - they are purely cosmetic. That also means you can delete the LED resistor, too, of course. Keep in mind that some people have been able to separate the socket center pins with nothing more than a screwdriver.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #3,746 of 7,277
Quote:

So, where's all the pics of builds from the kits and cases?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
Juaquin's the only one I've seen.

Well, I've added most of the components to the PCB and am unable to progress as I haven't completed the tube socket mods. I managed to remove the centre pin without drama (using my pillar drill) and now need to glue to the two halves together.

Anyone care to recommend a brand/type of epoxy available in England?

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #3,747 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the LEDs power on even if there are no tubes inserted?

Yes, I believe so - but they'll take forever to go out without any other load on the capacitors.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #3,749 of 7,277
Quote:

Keep in mind that some people have been able to separate the socket center pins with nothing more than a screwdriver.
wink.gif

I heard MacGuyver did it with only some pocket lint and an apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back