Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate)
Dec 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of buzz out of my amps, but on high gain with IEMs, probably not too surprising.  Does the low gain setting drive the Shures loud enough?

Yea. In low gain I cannot go over 60% on the volume knob without starting audible pain. Also, during no music if I turn it up to Max on low gain, I hear no buzz. I only hear a buzz wile on high gain mode. We will see how this effects the DT770's @ 250 Ohms in my later tests.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #50 of 61
Thanks.
I mentioned custom kernels because on the sgs3 at least, there are kernels that greatly improve sound quality. The siyah kernel I use for example would sound an 8 (in a subjective sq scale of 10),while the stock kernel would rate a 6.
I'm wondering if the Leck would give me much of an improvement since my vsonic gr07 iems are easy to drive and when I connected a just audio uha 120 to my setup there was only minor improvement to sq.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:
Thanks.
I mentioned custom kernels because on the sgs3 at least, there are kernels that greatly improve sound quality. The siyah kernel I use for example would sound an 8 (in a subjective sq scale of 10),while the stock kernel would rate a 6.
I'm wondering if the Leck would give me much of an improvement since my vsonic gr07 iems are easy to drive and when I connected a just audio uha 120 to my setup there was only minor improvement to sq.

Compared to stock there is a distinct difference. Mainly with the Shure SE535LTD-J IEM's. Without gain boost the background is pretty black with the Leckerton where as the phone has an annoying buzz or hum. Overall sound quality is improved with a broader sound stage an superior instrument separation. The are details in the music I was unable to pick out before such as audience members saying I love you to the artist etc...

As you are bit streaming out of the USB, I highly doubt sound quality would be altered with firmware on the phone. The DAC and Amp are in the Leckerton.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:
Does the RSA "The Intruder" work. It has great reviews on the amp section and hohum on the DAC section.

I am told both "The Predator" and "The Intruder" work with the G3 and Note 2 with the HackShop cable. The problem is both of them pull power from your phone to power the DAC. This was not acceptable for my requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back