MHDT Havana DAC
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #2,463 of 2,680
Hey Guys,
I noticed that not only "Partconexion" have Duelund Cast PIO at reasonable price.

For eg. here is sufficient stock now:  http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/castdccu010-022uf-630v-duelund-cast-copper-stock-p-9111.html

Based upon my experience with Havana I would like to try Duelund one day,  not for output (here I'm fully satisfied with V-Cap CuTF). Actually I want to make a comparison between CuTF at 0,22uF and Duelund. "PIO" capacitors are one of the best for Havana. It shown me how much naturalness and what a solid image giving to the sound.

I would not change never the Rike S-Caps for 0,10uF capacity!!
smile.gif
They give exemplary dynamics and have a great texture. I'm so satisfied with this DAC. I like it more than ARC DAC7 as I said before. The fully up-graded Havana it was an excellent choice that I no longer regret. Duelund it's just a curiosity, a caprice, not a necessity. Thank's!

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,464 of 2,680
  Hey Guys,
I noticed that not only "Partconexion" have Duelund Cast PIO at reasonable price.

For eg. here is sufficient stock now:  http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/castdccu010-022uf-630v-duelund-cast-copper-stock-p-9111.html

Based upon my experience with Havana I would like to try Duelund one day,  not for output (here I'm fully satisfied with V-Cap CuTF). Actually I want to make a comparison between CuTF at 0,22uF and Duelund. "PIO" capacitors are one of the best for Havana. It shown me how much naturalness and what a solid image giving to the sound.

I would not change never the Rike S-Caps for 0,10uF capacity!!
smile.gif
They give exemplary dynamics and have a great texture. I'm so satisfied with this DAC. I like it more than ARC DAC7 as I said before. The fully up-graded Havana it was an excellent choice that I no longer regret. Duelund it's just a curiosity, a caprice, not a necessity. Thank's!

Just a side note, i have purchased from hificollective and parts connection, both been ok, but one guy i use that does not get a lot of mention on here is Michael Percy Audio he has been great over the years at tracking down parts.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,469 of 2,680
Things kinda got out of control with all the modding but it's been a fun journey. It really does sound amazing though . Would be interesting to do a comparison with a unmodded Havana . I'll be kickin myself if I can't hear a difference!

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #2,472 of 2,680
Quote:
The Duelands are 2.2uF on the output stage.

Thank you for clarification. I'm asking what capacity is right there and how it affects the sound. 2,2uF is HUGE 
basshead.gif
compared to 0,47uF. I intend to change the output stage and the 0,22uF caps with Duelund also. As it described them Eugene, I think I will like more the CAST than V-Cap CuTF; but I wonder what capacity is the synergistic there?..

Can you give us some details about the other components that you used them? It's impressive what I saw in pictures! Truly DIY...
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,473 of 2,680
First I must clarify that the sound I chase is a more musical lush sound but still maintaining a sense of transparency and openess. I once had mundorf silver and oils in 0.22uF and also the two 0.01uF(which a still there) and 1.5uF for the outputs. What was achieved was a very black back ground, highly detailed more reference sounding. It was impressive at first but began to find it a bit to full on and fatigueing lacking a sense of flesh and bone fullness and musicality in my opinion. (Which I think is why I liked the Havana in the first place but I turned in to a more digital reference sounding dac). So my mission became clear I wanted to try and keep the detail and openess gained by the mundorfs but with a more musical tone. I started looking into vintage caps. Russian teflons and silvers , American vitamin Q spragues. Straight away I noticed tone was back . The vitamin Qs are lovely but a bit soft in the treble for me. I really liked the Russian caps. There are many in my dac now. K40Y-9 0.1uF in UU1 , T-3 0.22uF in C10 C29 C30 C21, K72n-6 0.33uF in C11(this one sonically is amazing in this spot,wouldn't have any other). Mundorf silver/oil in C13 C14. All electrolytics are Elna silmic II's and Blackgates. I also beefed up the power caps . The four big black caps you can see along the front are Elnas. The Duelands are great caps but I still question the price. I find some of the Russian caps a much better cheaper option. Don't get me wrong though, those Duelands are going anywhere, I love them.
I could keep going on about other mods but I will leave it that for now. Hope this helps. One last thing all systems react different to changes. My system consists of a Cyrus transport , Cyrus power supply , my modded Havana , Audio Space 300b set amp , my home built speaker cabinets 1800x600x600 12" goodmans of England's midrange, fountek ribbon tweeters and 15" Richard and Allan's . Two of my other friends have similar efficient systems power by 300b set amps all owning Havana dacs. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #2,474 of 2,680
Quote:
First I must clarify that the sound I chase is a more musical lush sound but still maintaining a sense of transparency and openess. I once had mundorf silver and oils in 0.22uF and also the two 0.01uF(which a still there) and 1.5uF for the outputs. What was achieved was a very black back ground, highly detailed more reference sounding. It was impressive at first but began to find it a bit to full on and fatigueing lacking a sense of flesh and bone fullness and musicality in my opinion. (Which I think is why I liked the Havana in the first place but I turned in to a more digital reference sounding dac). So my mission became clear I wanted to try and keep the detail and openess gained by the mundorfs but with a more musical tone. I started looking into vintage caps. Russian teflons and silvers , American vitamin Q spragues. Straight away I noticed tone was back . The vitamin Qs are lovely but a bit soft in the treble for me. I really liked the Russian caps. There are many in my dac now. K40Y-9 0.1uF in UU1 , T-3 0.22uF in C10 C29 C30 C21, K72n-6 0.33uF in C11(this one sonically is amazing in this spot,wouldn't have any other). Mundorf silver/oil in C13 C14. All electrolytics are Elna silmic II's and Blackgates. I also beefed up the power caps . The four big black caps you can see along the front are Elnas. The Duelands are great caps but I still question the price. I find some of the Russian caps a much better cheaper option. Don't get me wrong though, those Duelands are going anywhere, I love them.

Thank you for these detailed informations.
smile.gif

I think you achieved a very analog sound. You said before "things kinda got out of control with all the modding". What do you mean exactly? In other news, if you want to maximize the quality some Black Gate FK near the tube are like fresh air. If I understand what do you mean, mine Rike S-Caps make an exemplary work on dynamics. They control everything very well..
Good luck and many pleasant auditions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back